BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

04-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
abugiacomo
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: s54 clown shoe (2002 m coupe)

wrapping interior trim

i'm interested in wrapping my titanium shadow trim in carbon fiber or perhaps trying to paint it...i've seen a lot of references to this on the forums, but no good examples...has anyone out there wrapped or painted their interior trim with success?...any words of wisdom?...dos/don'ts?...recommended vendors? (not planning on doing it myself)...
      04-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Also interested in this!
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

If done correctly, it's a painstaking but rewarding process.
I actually preferred the CF vinyl wrap to the glossy CF look as it doesn't swirl and scratch and it's different.
However, my installer (friend) took every piece out of the car and wrapped, stretched, heated (redid where he needed to) every piece. he also did a great job of making the patterns and angle of the weave perfect.

Most places I've seen don't want to take the car apart because of the amount of time and labor involved (some do) Others will allow you to send your pieces into them for a swap. And they may do enough kits that they're more efficient and maybe they do a great job, I dunno.

Hope that helps.

Here are a few pics of what I did to my M5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks amazing where did you order the vinyl from?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks amazing by the way
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

I had mine done for my 335i E90 through BavarianX. Go to the 3 series forum and search. There's a lot of examples on there. It looks twice as good in person. There are two options for materials a cloth like thin interior only wrap and a vinyl application that can be used for exterior/interior use.
      04-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Ive done this a few times on a few different cars. Try Neffy wrap instead of 3M. Its easier to work with and it has a higher sheen to it. Use the spray adhesive and spray multiple coats, let it tack, cut the fabric to rough size always leaving excess, place it on the part you're wrapping, work out the bubbles, then let it dry. Then spray the edges and underside, wrap over the edges and trim off the excess. It takes a long time but its rewarding at the end. Ive done alot of wrapping with the 3M din-noc carbon vinyl and I think the fabric looks better for interior trims imo. But they're both doable, it all depends on how you want it to look. Vinyl would definitely go on quicker though, but would probably cost more too.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Coast ghost
FoxRed/Extended/CarbonLeather/CarbonRoof/Comp/Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 Coupe Dinan Exh 6sp
Location: Oregon Coast,02,330i,Mcoupe,03 Dinan S-2 M3 all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
i'm interested in wrapping my titanium shadow trim in carbon fiber or perhaps trying to paint it...i've seen a lot of references to this on the forums, but no good examples...has anyone out there wrapped or painted their interior trim with success?...any words of wisdom?...dos/don'ts?...recommended vendors? (not planning on doing it myself)...
I have the AW trim from IND ( took out CF leather) then had the pieces around the headlight and key switch covered in CF( to test the quality of the guys work, which was very good)
Right now the center and 2 rear console pieces and lids,cd surround,climate control surround,drink holders and some intake pieces are being covered in 1x1 CF. I like the glossy look, but I've seen a few different vinyl wraps that looked incredible, they look better in person and if done right, blend in nice to the console surround and dash.. Tough choice.. Lots of options
Appreciate 0