BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

12-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Help me check my math on a 09 E90 Euro Delivery

It goes without saying that the economy could be in better shape right now, but I happen to be in the position to pull the trigger on my dream car. My first real car was a 1976 2002 that I still own and have put a lot of work into. I almost bought a CSi instead of the 2 but was scared of cost of the parts at the time. Soon after I purchased my used 2002, BMW came out with the incredible E30 M3. I have been in pursuit since then. I now have a family of five and am going to buy an M3 sedan. I want to do a European Delivery somewhat to appease my wife(ie.cool car and a cool trip) and take my twins to Europe for the first time. Sorry about the long intro but here are the details.

Jerez Black with Bamboo and Anthricite
Cold Weather Package
Tech Package
Rear Shade
Enhanced Premium Audio
Ipod
BMW assist

It totals up to $65,200 MSRP

I offered the dealer $1500 over invoice for a euro delivery. I know I could probably do a little better with some haggling but I felt it was a realistic offer without insulting the dealer. By the way this is a cash deal so the financing rates don't really matter in my case. My question amounts to what is the invoice price that I will be working from? I have figured it is $61,260 plus my 1500 for a total of $62,760. Should I try to re-negotiate my offer or settle for about $2500 under MSRP? What should I watch out for on signing the papers? I plan to sign on Wednesday of this week and any resonable advice will be appreciated. The SA I have been working with has been very upfront and said the local advertising fee will not apply on a ED. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I can't wait for my visit to the Welt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Well...

...did you tell them it was a cash deal? If not, lock in your ideal price and close the sale. Let someone else who is less informed pay full price.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Does your total include gas guzzler tax?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Cash? Invoice or invoice + 500. Walk out and go to another dealer. Cash is truly king in today's world.

BTW, unless you are filthy rich.....why not lock some of that cash in a 3 to 5 year CD earning more than 3.9%.....finance the car with BMW and make some pocket change. Sure you'll have some tax on the interest earned from the CD but you'll get some return on the whole deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes I did include 1300 for gas guzzler and 825 for destination. I would prefer to work with this dealer because they are very close by. I should have worked the numbers before putting my offer on the table. I did not tell him it would be a cash deal so maybe that should be my bargaining point.

I have thought about putting the money in a CD but the best 3 year I have found is only a little over 4%. It is not really worth the hassle and would rather not have a car payment each month.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

I am shopping for the same kind of deal (even same colour!) It appears dealers are more eager to do biz in MA as down here - well at least near Austin & San A - best quote I've had invoice +$2-2.5k on ED E92. In fact, one dealer was not willing to do less than MSRP on ED, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW CA
However, we just don’t see the need to discount M’s right now. In 6 months that may be different, but our business is only off a very small percentage YTD.

In spite of you position of ‘gloom and doom’, we are selling every one we can get our hands on. The guys like you who can and will buy these cars realize what a good deal the financing is and are scooping them up in record numbers. I guess [our market area] hasn’t been watching CNN. ;-)

So until we see something different, we’re going to let the market dictate the prices, and right now that is MSRP or something close.
Coming back to OP: it seems that $1.5k on ED seems OK to me. Yes, people are talking here about invoice +$500 for MY09 but did they specify ED?

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Come to Boston and we can put a dual offer in for $750 over invoice! I am sure my SA would go for it.

I was kind of surprised that the dealer did not counter offer and maybe I should have gone lower on my offer. In the scheme of things I think it is a decent deal. We pay a lot less than most countries for BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
rukawa005
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

hey guys, just my 2 cents..

when you talk about "invoice", i hope you're talking about "ED invoice". There are 4 tiers of pricing for the general public:

MSRP
ED MSRP
Invoice (Wholesale)
ED Invoice (Wholesale)

As a general rule, ED pricing is roughly 7% lower than general pricing. Talk to your CA to find out what the ED invoice is on your car, and work from there. You can also find on the forums the ED pricing for MY2009 3ers (I've seen it on e90post.com). If you feel comfortable at ED invoice + $1500, that's your call. But if you are working off of general invoice + $1500, then that's ridiculous. BMW offers incentives to do an ED, and the pricing you should be working w/is the ED price. Also, like others have said, since you are paying cash, you can do MUCH better.

Just a comparison for you: I recently ordered a 2009 335i US delivery at general invoice + $600 + MACO + training + tax + license.

This week, I placed an order for a 2009 328i ED delivery pretty much at ED invoice + tax + license. Keep in mind that this is my 2nd car from the same CA within 2 months so that's probably why I got it at ED invoice.

Even if your order is for a M3, there should not be a difference, given the current demand for this vehicle and the current state of the economy. My suggestion for you is to re-negotiate for nothing more than ED invoice + $500-$1000. I'm confident that dealers today can do it.

Good luck!

**just in case someone says that M3 pricing is different.. my CA would've done the ED invoice + $400 for a M3 for me as well**

Last edited by rukawa005; 12-09-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukawa005 View Post
**just in case someone says that M3 pricing is different.. my CA would've done the ED invoice + $400 for a M3 for me as well**
There is no ED invoice on the M cars like there are on the regular cars....at least not yet. The last M car that had a lower price for ED was the E36 M3.

Edit to add: the problem with ED on M cars is that the dealer doesn't get any year end CSI bonus money (5% of the base MSRP). If the dealer sells a US delivered car at $1000 over invoice, they get the $1k plus 5% of the base MSRP at the end of the year- on a 60k car that is another $3k...so in total selling a car at $1k over invoice nets the dealer $4k. On ED, the dealer doesn't get an extra allocation, it comes from their normal allocation. The dealer loses the year end CSI bonus money, meaning a $1k over ED invoice means the dealer ends up losing $3k (getting $1k vs 4k).

$1500 over invoice for an ED car is probably about as good as you are going to get....until BMW puts the M cars into the ED discount program.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
rukawa005
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
There is no ED invoice on the M cars like there are on the regular cars....at least not yet. The last M car that had a lower price for ED was the E36 M3.

Edit to add: the problem with ED on M cars is that the dealer doesn't get any year end CSI bonus money (5% of the base MSRP). If the dealer sells a US delivered car at $1000 over invoice, they get the $1k plus 5% of the base MSRP at the end of the year- on a 60k car that is another $3k...so in total selling a car at $1k over invoice nets the dealer $4k. On ED, the dealer doesn't get an extra allocation, it comes from their normal allocation. The dealer loses the year end CSI bonus money, meaning a $1k over ED invoice means the dealer ends up losing $3k (getting $1k vs 4k).

$1500 over invoice for an ED car is probably about as good as you are going to get....until BMW puts the M cars into the ED discount program.

Thank you for the information - I did not know the M cars didn't have ED discount pricing. Please disregard my previous post and accept my apology for the misinformation.

With that said, I would probably go for no more than invoice + $1000. It's very doable.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of your input. I will shoot for $1000 and let you know what happens. Maybe I can get them to throw in the smart phone integration, M mats and the flash light that is no longer standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
+1 US invoice = ED invoice on all M-cars.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0