BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
SanFranFortyGiantsNiner
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert, 20" HRE, EIBACH SPRIN

Garage List
2009 M3 Vert  [0.00]
Springs vs. Coilovers

Forum,

I was hoping to get experienced folks input on springs vs. coilovers. I just purchased Eibach sport springs for my ///M3 in hopes to get more of a lower look. The drop I believe is 1" in the front and .6 in the rear.

I came across a number of other ///M3's that went with the KW V3 coilovers and the look was incredible. I know coilovers are more out of the pocket but my over all goal was to get a more lowered look to my ride since I dont really plan on heavily pushing my cars suspension to the limit. Im going with more looks rather then speed.

What is the real difference between coilovers vs. spring other then coilovers are adjustable and the price obviously?

Also, will just a a spring installation mess up the EDC on my vehicle.?

Thanks all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

If you are soley going for the look, you probably should have gone for RD Sport spring..

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are after looks, you made the right choice by doing springs. Springs will of course just replace the spring part of the suspension and retain the factory strut. This is ideal if you like the EDC setup and wish to retain that functionality. Coilovers replace both the spring and strut with a height and in this case rebound/compression adjustable strut so you can dial in your height and own valve settings for the shock. This is ideal if you are specific about the ride height and need the ability to adjust the struts individually for a track or even spirited street setup.

From your post, it sounds like you are happy with the handling of the car but just wanted a lowered look. The Eibachs will offer both, better handling and a lower look and will suit your needs just fine. Coilovers are great if you have the budget but I don't see the reason to spring for them if all you are after is a lower ride height.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
SanFranFortyGiantsNiner
Private
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3 Vert  [0.00]
Thanks guys, well explained.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
emesdub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

i know you already have the eibachs, but sounds like you might be better off with h&r sports--or even rd sports like earlier mentioned. eibachs are great, but the drop is a little more on the conservative side.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
SanFranFortyGiantsNiner
Private
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3 Vert  [0.00]
I was actually told the H&R were on backorder when I went to purchase them and they only could get Eibachs. Considering that they both had the same drop, I went with the Eibachs. I hope to still get the look I am trying to achieve with these.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Are you sure now? Both the H&R Sport and H&R Sport Plus springs are in stock. In any case, it's a bit late since you have purchased the Eibachs but I think you will be happy with them. The H&R does lower the car a bit more than the Eibachs but the difference is not huge.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalifornialove310 View Post
I was actually told the H&R were on backorder when I went to purchase them and they only could get Eibachs. Considering that they both had the same drop, I went with the Eibachs. I hope to still get the look I am trying to achieve with these.
We've got H&R Springs in stock ready to go as well, I'm not sure why someone might have told you that they were on a backorder. I just checked as well, and H&R is currently not on backorder, they have them in stock as well! Interesting...

Well if anybody else is looking for H&R springs, fell free to shoot over a PM
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

IMO, I would just suck it up and buy the coilovers. On my E46 M3 I 1st installed springs & my shocks quickly wore out. Now that I have my Pss9's, I couldn't be happier. It's like the car is riding on rails.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Would you guys say there is any difference in quality between eibach, RD, and H&R?

I am looking for just a lower look as well. I have decided not to go with coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The drop in the rear are the same between Eibach and H&R but the Eibachs only drop .8" in the front compared to 1.0" from the H&R's.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

I've heard many people say that springs are bad for the stock shocks, and many others say that they are fine with the stock shocks. I may be buying Eibach springs soon and my question is whether they would be ok with the stock shocks for let's say 2 or 3 track days a year?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
I've heard many people say that springs are bad for the stock shocks, and many others say that they are fine with the stock shocks. I may be buying Eibach springs soon and my question is whether they would be ok with the stock shocks for let's say 2 or 3 track days a year?
when you say 'bad' there are two parts to it...

1) 'bad' to the life of the shocks. obviously the shocks are designed for the factory springs, so any springs that fall outside of the shocks' designed envelope will decrease the life of the shocks.

2) 'bad' in terms of performance. stiffer springs will require firmer shocks to appropriately dampen out the rebound. using significantly stiffer springs with shocks that are not firm enough may ruin the car's ride and handling.

if you are just keeping the car for a few years, say 3 or 4, and only going to do a few track days a year, then you will be more than fine with the Eibach springs in terms of both life and performance. i've never had Eibach springs but they seem to be the favorable choice among this forum. but if you want a peace of mind go for Dinan springs because Dinan matches the new car's warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

To add another opinion...

No matter what brand/car is...
Most owner who installed just the lowering springs have VERY HIGH chances of upgrading to coilover or shock/spring combo later on.
I have seen this happening to many people over years, I would say about 60-70% people end up upgrading within 1-2 years.

I know it would be little less with M3 due to its EDC option, but you are already messing with car's ride height, spring rate, suspension travel, and F/R weight balance even with just springs installation.
Just springs will NOT give you "EDC error" but EDC's performance will be affected since car's dyanmics has been altered.

So why not bother to just go with coilover and get better adjustablilty overall?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Sigh, seems like I'll be purchasing V3's soon...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Sigh, seems like I'll be purchasing V3's soon...
Just do it man. I've noticed you trying not to but you won't regret it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
when you say 'bad' there are two parts to it...

1) 'bad' to the life of the shocks. obviously the shocks are designed for the factory springs, so any springs that fall outside of the shocks' designed envelope will decrease the life of the shocks.

2) 'bad' in terms of performance. stiffer springs will require firmer shocks to appropriately dampen out the rebound. using significantly stiffer springs with shocks that are not firm enough may ruin the car's ride and handling.

if you are just keeping the car for a few years, say 3 or 4, and only going to do a few track days a year, then you will be more than fine with the Eibach springs in terms of both life and performance. i've never had Eibach springs but they seem to be the favorable choice among this forum. but if you want a peace of mind go for Dinan springs because Dinan matches the new car's warranty.
Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I've had enough experience with both, springs and coilovers. Although I haven't experienced springs on this car, I've been able to have springs and coilovers on other cars I've owned.

The simplest, most known advantage of the spring is the fact it is fairly inexpensive compared to coilovers. They make your car look so much better for just a fraction of the price of a coilover system.

Coilovers of course tend to be for the "hardcore" crowd. But there is an advantage, and a very big one at that, that coilovers do have. You own an M3, you might not be a junky, but someday you might jump into a track, and there is no better thing to have than adjust-ability.

Whether you lower your car, go with wider wheels, tires or spacers, you will always have the comfort of adjusting your suspension, and having that peace of mind when buying new spacers, wheels or tires. After trying springs and coilovers, I decided never to go back to springs no matter how much cheaper they are. Though I tend to think of myself as a "hardcore" kind of person, there's just always a peace of mind when you know that you can always adjust the dynamics of your car to your preference.

This is just my opinion, and I hope it helps.
      12-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Just ordered KW v3's
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Is the ride better with coilovers than with springs as far as comfort goes?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #21
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
No, the factory suspension will offer the most comfort unless you do a custom valved setup from GC or TCK but that is a whole new ballgame.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
actually. ride is better on coilovers than springs alone. On coilovers, shocks are technically made to work with the springs, and the whole range of adjustment that the whole setup brings. My KW V3's can be made to feel like stock. Even though I don't have them that way. Considering have both the front and the rear set to as low as they go, the car is IMPRESSIVELY comfortable to be on 3/4 compression stiffness both in the rear and front, and around 1/2 rebound both in front and rear. The car is obviously a lot firmer, yet very VERY comfortable.