Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

05-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

London-based E92 M3 - DCT and Dealership issues - advice needed

Hi all,

Just bought a used Feb 2009 E92 M3 DCT. Had it for a month roughly, whilst getting it detailed we noticed a small oil leak from the rear of the car.

Detail process finished brought the car to the stealer (the one south of the river in London with the multiple trees name). Told them about the leak, also told them about defective brake light and the infamous lag issue when DCT in auto-mode. Also told them NOT to wash it as it had been detailed and waxed.

Horrible service is basically how I would sum-up the whole experience. The only thing they fixed straight away was the leak, told them where it was coming from.. they found a defective seal and replaced it. For the brake light it took 3 days of me insisting it had an issue and them saying they couldn't see it and hence would do nothing about it.. on the 3rd day they finally noticed it..

Worst they obviously washed the car, with their horrible dirty mitts which produces atrocious swirls all over the car that was mint getting in.. I am now threatening action against them if they don't pay for the treatment to get it back to "original" condition.

Finally as for the DCT lag.. they obviously came back saying that they could not "replicate the issue"... as in everything works fine and had already been updated once.. as the problem IS there (in D mode when pulling out of a junction.. takes several seconds to engage 2nd and then goes on full power !!), was wondering if any of you can recommend a dealership where they actually perform the upgrade to latest software that seems to be solving most of the problems..

Overall then.. pretty awful first experience with my M3 at BMW service.. (not the first one mind you, already had a Mini Cooper S and the other very close one, south of the river is pretty appalling too..)

Any suggestions welcome..

R
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosino View Post
Hi all,

Just bought a used Feb 2009 E92 M3 DCT. Had it for a month roughly, whilst getting it detailed we noticed a small oil leak from the rear of the car.

Detail process finished brought the car to the stealer (the one south of the river in London with the multiple trees name). Told them about the leak, also told them about defective brake light and the infamous lag issue when DCT in auto-mode. Also told them NOT to wash it as it had been detailed and waxed.

Horrible service is basically how I would sum-up the whole experience. The only thing they fixed straight away was the leak, told them where it was coming from.. they found a defective seal and replaced it. For the brake light it took 3 days of me insisting it had an issue and them saying they couldn't see it and hence would do nothing about it.. on the 3rd day they finally noticed it..

Worst they obviously washed the car, with their horrible dirty mitts which produces atrocious swirls all over the car that was mint getting in.. I am now threatening action against them if they don't pay for the treatment to get it back to "original" condition.

Finally as for the DCT lag.. they obviously came back saying that they could not "replicate the issue"... as in everything works fine and had already been updated once.. as the problem IS there (in D mode when pulling out of a junction.. takes several seconds to engage 2nd and then goes on full power !!), was wondering if any of you can recommend a dealership where they actually perform the upgrade to latest software that seems to be solving most of the problems..

Overall then.. pretty awful first experience with my M3 at BMW service.. (not the first one mind you, already had a Mini Cooper S and the other very close one, south of the river is pretty appalling too..)

Any suggestions welcome..

R
As for the brake light... they can't fix something they can't duplicate.

As for the detail, tell them to detail the car for free.

As for the transmission, drive the vehicle with them. Show them the problem.
      05-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My friend took delivery of a new Z4 35i from this dealer and in the sun his car is swirled up also - they are paying for a full detail.
My car is on order from them and if it comes with any swirls from the PDI there will be trouble (my last car arrived in perfect condition from them)

On a positive note i have always found them to be a decent dealership - have you dealt with them before?

Get them to test drive your car with regards to the DCT issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Have a look at this post re DCT updates

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348639

Hope it helps

Flapps
      05-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

That's a truly awful experience. I would not return to that dealership.

That a BMW can still supply a used M3 with the old DCT software is astonishing. This is known well documented issue that can be fully resolved with updated software. The new corrected software has been available for over a year. I had mine done at Stephen James in Bromley. Took a bit badgering though as like you they wouldn't recognise the problem, but that was the day after the fix was released. If you follow the link posted above you should find the number to quote to the dealership. The update will take several hours as they have to plug your car in to Munich.

I would also recommend sending a PM to Anneka at Sytner's. They are forum sponsors and I'm sure would be able to update your DCT software and restore your faith in BMW service.

Usually when I take my car to a dealers for any work, I leave an A4 piece of paper on the dashboard saying "Please don't wash me".

I do hope you get everything resolved so you can start to enjoy your new car!
      05-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Just searched out the SIB info and posting it here for you...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B280708g.htm

This shows that BMW were clearly aware of the problem some time ago.

Basically this states that the problem is fixed from software version 2.33.1 onwards. I believe mine was updated to 2.34.1 last July and I haven't had the lag issue since and I drive 99% of the time in D2.

Good luck in getting this addressed and as I said in my previous post it's shocking that a BMW dealer can sell the car without this update which addresses a potentially dangerous issue.
      05-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

In addition to what others have posted re latest software / TIS and taking the $tealer with you to demonstrate the fault; your experience, others and my own clearly shows that not all BMW dealers put the latest software (or indeed bother to check) when selling a car as a 'BMW approved car'.

All the waffle provided by a salesman to justify why his price is 2K over market due to 'BMW approved', ie latest updates, full history check, 116 point vehicle check........yawn.........is just bull shit. IMHO of course

You can also report the dealer for incompetence to BMW UK.
Appreciate 0