BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Y-Cable to 30 Pin to Lighting Adapter.

/thread
Presuming OP (or anyone else reading this) has a USB port, yes. If not, AUX is the only option unless you go third-party.
He says he has a CCC nav. Therefore he should have the USB and Aux ports. No?
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
Raydogg920
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have an 08 CCC and a Iphone 5S.
I have tried a few things so far using the BMW Y cable.
30 pin to 8 pin adapter (ebay $2.00),
30 pin to 8 pin with audio adapter (ebay $4.00).
The 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with Y cable would not play audio, but did charge the phone.
The 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with audio plays audio but has random feedback noises which are not tolerable. Sound quality was poor and I also lost the ability to forward tracks with the steering wheel.
Current mode is the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with the Y cable, unplug the headphone part of the Y cable and use a male to male headphone cable plugged into the car port and Iphone. Sound quality seems good, but I did lose steering wheel control. More testing on that setup tomorrow.

I do listen to Pandora and Sirius on my ride to work, trying to get a solution like I had with the Iphone 4S before...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydogg920 View Post
I have an 08 CCC and a Iphone 5S.
I have tried a few things so far using the BMW Y cable.
30 pin to 8 pin adapter (ebay $2.00),
30 pin to 8 pin with audio adapter (ebay $4.00).
The 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with Y cable would not play audio, but did charge the phone.
The 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with audio plays audio but has random feedback noises which are not tolerable. Sound quality was poor and I also lost the ability to forward tracks with the steering wheel.
Current mode is the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter with the Y cable, unplug the headphone part of the Y cable and use a male to male headphone cable plugged into the car port and Iphone. Sound quality seems good, but I did lose steering wheel control. More testing on that setup tomorrow.

I do listen to Pandora and Sirius on my ride to work, trying to get a solution like I had with the Iphone 4S before...
The original Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter works fine with the Y-cable.

You get all the functionality as you did before... but I found the audio quality lacking. The D/A audio converter in the adapter isn't as good as the D/A audio converter in the actual phone. However, I am sure the Apple one sounds a lot better than the generic ebay ones.
      10-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
He says he has a CCC nav. Therefore he should have the USB and Aux ports. No?
Not necessarily. The USB was optional in 2008. I have an AUX but no USB. I also have CCC.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #27
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE
Y-Cable to 30 Pin to Lighting Adapter.

/thread
$100 cable setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
With an 08 M3 (like me) why not something like the Dension Gateway 500? I've got mine on-hand and probably going to install it this weekend. Pretty much will add all the functionality I want to my CCC iDrive and still look stock.

Have thought about the CIC upgrade, but it's a bit rich for my blood when I have my sights set on starting out with more important upgrades... like speakers and (maybe) exhaust. $500 for the Dension seemed like a bargain. And having looked it over, the install doesn't seem too tough.
Can you post a review of your install? Specifically I want to know how easy is it to navigate the music menu using the iDrive.

I bought my car used and I think it has an aftermarket iPhone connector from 2008. It's slow to navigate, it won't navigate all my songs since I think in 2008 all the adapters had a limit... is the Dension working pretty seamlessly for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
All of your links get to the main site (such as apple.com), but are unresolved after that (product not found). Can you double check these & update?
Sorry, I do all my blogging from my iPad and for some reasons all the links won't go.

But you can search on the sites...
1) Proclip mount with phone adapter
2) Apple 30 pin to lightning corded adapter
3) 30 pin to 30 pin adapter from Scotche

But if the Dension Gateway works really seamlessly... I am gonna switch to that
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Sinister Crayon
Rep

It is pretty seamless, but to be honest I haven't really finished the install yet. I installed it primarily to get bluetooth streaming and bluetooth phone... I haven't even run the cable for the iPod connection yet because I've been traveling on business a lot recently and had no weekends to myself. Today is the first Sunday I've had not working in weeks and I'm spending it doing laundry. Yay me!

Anyway, the interface does seem seamless and slick. I can't comment about the non-iDrive interface though because I have iDrive. I just go to the CD changer menu, select CD1 and then I get a menu of options that cascade down. It's really easy with iDrive.

I know it works with non-iDrive cars, but I don't know how the interface compares. Still, the integration in general is really good; the phone works better than the factory bluetooth in my 135i (or at least more reliably) as does the BT audio. The only time I had a problem was when I had a bluetooth headset in my pocket that I'd knocked and turned on without realizing... got really confused for a few when someone tried to call me and only figured it out when I got to the office
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Sinister Crayon
Rep

PandaM3: Sorry mate... got confused with all the other people who posted in this thread. You have iDrive like I do... and there's no better way to see the interface than in-action. Not my install, but this video shows the integration really nicely;

Now it makes me want to go finish up my install
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
PandaM3: Sorry mate... got confused with all the other people who posted in this thread. You have iDrive like I do... and there's no better way to see the interface than in-action. Not my install, but this video shows the integration really nicely;

Now it makes me want to go finish up my install
Mine is supposed to work like that, but I think I have an old one from 2008. Back then with the 1st generation iPod connections you can only put on a certain number of songs. Definitely does not work as fast as that.

I'm deciding between the Dension gateway 500 like what you have vs the Dension iCon connected drive

This intercepts the video input from the DVD drive in the CCC system and still allows the iDrive to control the menus...

I know on the 5 series or M5 forums there was a group buy on it last year however no one followed up with a post saying its working right.

Probably a problem with activating the DVD in motion even if it comes with a device to activate it already
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #32
Sinister Crayon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Mine is supposed to work like that, but I think I have an old one from 2008. Back then with the 1st generation iPod connections you can only put on a certain number of songs. Definitely does not work as fast as that.
Just as a quick test I temporarily wired up my iPod connection and attached my iPhone 3GS (which has been doing iPod duty for a couple of years now since I went to Android). Anyway... with the 500 it works almost exactly as it does in the video. Scrolling through song lists is a bit of a chore and I'd really love a search function... but it's good enough. Besides, it's not that big of a deal to put together playlists of stuff, and you can always scroll down through artists/album first if you want to play a particular song.

I really will have to get this thing permanently installed soon. I want to run the iPod connection under the armrest but really don't feel like pulling my center console out to do it LOL. One of these days I'll actually get a weekend to myself!
Appreciate 0