BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Evolve Tune Problem

Hey everyone, so let me start by prefacing this with my not exactly following the directions that came with my Evolve tune.

I received the unit, plugged it in, read the stock file. However, my stock file was only around 120kb instead of 5mb like it was supposed to be. I figured, let me test this out to see if its really my stock file. I tried reuploading the file that I read (120kb one) and it showed a few lines of code for 5 or 10 seconds and then my car just went dead. All electronics off, etc.

Now, I try turning the car on and it gives me several malfunctions and won't turn on. The ignitors just get stuck like its trying and trying but it won't turn on. That + DSC malfunction, DCT malfunction, SES light, DBC malfunction...literally every malfunction IDrive can display.

Now, I figure that I'll just load on the downgraded stock file that they issued to get things up and running at least, but my computer and OBDII port won't even interact anymore. Literally have no way of uploading anything to the car.

I am scheduled to go for service tomorrow but am wondering if this can be fixed at home tonight. Anyone know of a way to reset the OBDII to read with the computer again? Or any advice on my situation? Any help would appreciated. Ideally, I figure out a way for the OBDII to work again so that I can reflash the car with the 140 software that is included.

Thanks in advance!

update
Sal @ Evolve Tuning worked through the problem with me all day today. Took us a few hours to get everything back to normal (he's in UK, I'm in socal) but I can safely say that all the issues described above are gone and car is now tuned also!! Should have followed directions the first time will be posting a review of the tune in a few days time!

Last edited by MRSSIIM3; 06-10-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamama3 View Post
Hey everyone, so let me start by prefacing this with my not exactly following the directions that came with my Evolve tune.

I received the unit, plugged it in, read the stock file. However, my stock file was only around 120kb instead of 5mb like it was supposed to be. I figured, let me test this out to see if its really my stock file. I tried reuploading the file that I read (120kb one) and it showed a few lines of code for 5 or 10 seconds and then my car just went dead. All electronics off, etc.

Now, I try turning the car on and it gives me several malfunctions and won't turn on. The ignitors just get stuck like its trying and trying but it won't turn on. That + DSC malfunction, DCT malfunction, SES light, DBC malfunction...literally every malfunction IDrive can display.

Now, I figure that I'll just load on the downgraded stock file that they issued to get things up and running at least, but my computer and OBDII port won't even interact anymore. Literally have no way of uploading anything to the car.

I am scheduled to go for service tomorrow but am wondering if this can be fixed at home tonight. Anyone know of a way to reset the OBDII to read with the computer again? Or any advice on my situation? Any help would appreciated. Ideally, I figure out a way for the OBDII to work again so that I can reflash the car with the 140 software that is included.

Thanks in advance!
dude!! WHAT!! you didn't follow the instructions ... .. this is one procedure you should have followed to the letter! and then you tried to reupload the incorrectly read ROM back into the ECU!!!!! Holy moly!! I think you've hosed your ECU - your best bet would be to try and contact sal when he wakes up tomorrow morning (UK time).. the dealer may not cover this under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
dude!! WHAT!! you didn't follow the instructions ... .. this is one procedure you should have followed to the letter! and then you tried to reupload the incorrectly read ROM back into the ECU!!!!! Holy moly!! I think you've hosed your ECU - your best bet would be to try and contact sal when he wakes up tomorrow morning (UK time).. the dealer may not cover this under warranty.

I already sent them all emails but yeah its UK time so I'm not expecting anything before at least midnight

I got in touch with my dealership and they said it would be around $100 to do a software update. I just hope that all the car needs is software update and not a new ECU or whatever else is involved. Realistically, the dealership has told me a few times that "during their installation of the new software, it crashed so car has to stay overnight and they have to reupdate". Don't really know how what happened to me is different than to them but I'll find out tomorrow I guess

On a different note, do you have any idea why my stock file was <1 mb?? I read that you successfully tuned your car. Did you run into my issue at all? Other than reflashing with my stock file, I followed the instructions to the T!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Ok, you were supposed to read the instructions. Uncheck the Data Area Only box when you read it out, it should take 60+ minutes. Then, you need to upload the 140E software revision and then the tune file.

You very well may have hosed your ECU. It sounds like you ought to step away and wait for them to help you. Turn off the car, let it sit for a few minutes so it fully powers off and try again. You may have bricked your ECU, which will require shipping it somewhere to get fixed or taking it to the dealership, which will cost you $$$$$ because it won't be warranty.

People, putting flashing tools into your hands is dangerous, and this is why. Not everyone is cut out to flash things at home, and if you can't read directions and aren't tolerant of your car being stuck, this is NOT FOR YOU.

Good luck OP!

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ah, hopefully the dealer can reflash then!!

yes I successfully loaded the evolve tune - and its amazing!! the car is much more aggressive now.

Here's a checklist of things I can think of off the top of my head -
Did you uncheck the 'data area only' when downloading your stock file?
Did you have a battery tender plugged in and charging the car?
Did you you switch off all unneccessary eletrics (fan, lights etc)
Did you hit the Identify ECU button before reading the ROM?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Ok, you were supposed to read the instructions. Uncheck the Data Area Only box when you read it out, it should take 60+ minutes. Then, you need to upload the 140E software revision and then the tune file.

You very well may have hosed your ECU. It sounds like you ought to step away and wait for them to help you. Turn off the car, let it sit for a few minutes so it fully powers off and try again. You may have bricked your ECU, which will require shipping it somewhere to get fixed or taking it to the dealership, which will cost you $$$$$ because it won't be warranty.

People, putting flashing tools into your hands is dangerous, and this is why. Not everyone is cut out to flash things at home, and if you can't read directions and aren't tolerant of your car being stuck, this is NOT FOR YOU.

Good luck OP!
I did uncheck that box!!! I read my stock file with the box checked and unchecked and both times it had a small file!!!!!

But worst case, all my ECU needs is new software right?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ah, hopefully the dealer can reflash then!!

yes I successfully loaded the evolve tune - and its amazing!! the car is much more aggressive now.

Here's a checklist of things I can think of off the top of my head -
Did you uncheck the 'data area only' when downloading your stock file?
Did you have a battery tender plugged in and charging the car?
Did you you switch off all unneccessary eletrics (fan, lights etc)
Did you hit the Identify ECU button before reading the ROM?
I did all those things which is why I was confused as to why the file was so small
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

hmm.. very strange....was your car's ignition switched on? you need to hit start twice (without pressing the brake)

my read took 1.5 hours ..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm.. very strange....was your car's ignition switched on? you need to hit start twice (without pressing the brake)

my read took 1.5 hours ..
yup did that i need to figure out this problem because once the car comes back with fixed new software tomorrow, i still want the evolve tune...lol

maybe it has to do with my car? 2011 built in jan?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yup did that i need to figure out this problem because once the car comes back with fixed new software tomorrow, i still want the evolve tune...lol

maybe it has to do with my car? 2011 built in jan?
Talk to Sal / Evolve tomorrow....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

glad i didnt pull the trigger on this tune, this is why Dinan is good....peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep

^ yeah, peace of mind and zero additional power. Stay safe if you want!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
glad i didnt pull the trigger on this tune, this is why Dinan is good....peace of mind
Read the post guy - it has nothing to do with the tune - the OP messed up the install

lazy fucking people - read man, or have someone read it to you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
In defense of Evolve, I didn't really follow the directions...when my ecu gets reflashed tomorrow and evolve gets the real file from me on friday, ill be posting a new thread about how amazing the tune is ahaha i can't wait...fack!! why did this have to happen
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #15
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

i guess I'm the Guinea pig for what not to do?? I'll LOL in 2 years when someone revives this old thread having made the same mistake as me....

or I'm just retarded and nobody else will ever have my issue
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

agree with kitw... my friend has a dinan stage 1 which I test drove - and all I felt while driving his car was a slightly smoother throttle. With Evolve, the car pulls much harder ... much harder.. very aggressive.

You just need to be super careful when doing ECU reads and writes. For instance, if anything seems not normal (like 120kb ROM file that's supposed to be 5mb... Sorry OP ), just stop , read instructions, or call Evolve. Before flashing, always stop, think thrice before proceeding..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i guess I'm the Guinea pig for what not to do?? I'll LOL in 2 years when someone revives this old thread having made the same mistake as me....

or I'm just retarded and nobody else will ever have my issue
To be honest, this is probably going to happen to a handful of people. It's possible your voltage dropped too low/etc. I bet you weren't hooked up to a charger, like you were supposed to be.

The dealerships often times do have problems flashing the cars, they aren't perfect, and there is a lot of variability. I suspect almost all of it is voltage related, though...

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, this is probably going to happen to a handful of people. It's possible your voltage dropped too low/etc. I bet you weren't hooked up to a charger, like you were supposed to be.

The dealerships often times do have problems flashing the cars, they aren't perfect, and there is a lot of variability. I suspect almost all of it is voltage related, though...
I did have a trickle charger!! What happened was that I was trying to reflash my car with a 120kb file that wasn't even the correct one to begin with which corrupted things

But what happened to me isn't any different from what dealers do I don't think. Only difference is they can access other methods of flashing the car via the ECU itself not through OBDII, so they can reset it if its corrupt. In my case, all I can do is through OBDII which isn't responding to the computer. Also, when the dealers fail, the car is right there in front of them for them to mess with it. In my case, I have to tow it....but hey, on the bright side, BMW assist FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

All will be fine.
The only thing that will be lost is time.

By the time you are awake the solution will be infront of you.

It's quite difficult to screw up the ecu.
We have corrupted them on purpose and still recovered without issue.

This time read the instructions carefully when I send the email. Please.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #20
kitw
Colonel
Rep

^ Morning Sal! you work the craziest hours, I just got an email from you like 7 hours ago, when you were going to bed.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #21
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
^ Morning Sal! you work the craziest hours, I just got an email from you like 7 hours ago, when you were going to bed.
Morning!

It doesn't feel like work.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Sal saves the day : ) That's good to know about it being difficult to jack-up the ECU. Was always in the back of my mind when I'm playing with coding, etc.

To the OP - at least you have a good attitude about it and didn't flip out. Good luck with the tune when you get it on there!
Appreciate 0