BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

The Drifting thread (entrance/techniques/modifications)

This thread is intended for all interested in drifting wether as a hobby or just to refine their car control skills.
I know there aren't many drifters in the newer bmw world, but this is for the few who are not afraid of getting down and dirty!

Some of the technique info on here will be copied from a huge informative thread on Zilvia.net
I started drifting on the track back 3 years ago, hit a few track events and then had car issues, now I recently started drifting my E93 m3 at the Vegasdrift events in Vegas and want to talk/share/learn more about drifting and hopefully this thread can help and at the same time be informative to others who know nothing about it at all and would like to learn..

So if you got some info, want others to critique your style, or need to be critiqued yourself. Please post up some info.
Videos and pictures of you or others drifting are always welcome.

First off the must haves for drifting is:
-RWD car
-A Limited slip differential (LSD) of some sort(M3's come with a stock lsd, 335i dont and either need an aftermarket or to swap the lsd from an M3 or a 335i's) If you go aftermarket I highly recommend the full lock options.

Your next mods generally involve:
-Coilovers to stiffen/lower the ride.
-race/bucket seat to keep you planted.

Contrary to popular belief, hi hp is not a requirement, actually learning to drift a low powered car makes you a better driver when you get a hi hp car later on.

I will be adding the different methods of drift initiations and descriptions later on, such as:
-Clutch kicking
-E-braking
-power over(most common)
-feint...
-foot braking
........etc....

to be continued and updated....there is lots more info to share!
      03-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a functional car.

Videos to provide would be great too. I will be sure to add one in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Underdog View Post
Videos to provide would be great too. I will be sure to add one in the near future.
My girl made an hr long vid and when she tried to stop the recording the camera malfunctioned...froze and when we restarted it. it never saved the video.
keep in mind I am an amature, I was in the beginners course not the race track event.
I am going to another one on April 5th at Willow springs balcony then another April 27th in Vegas.
hopefully I will have something to show..

Last edited by GabeS; 03-21-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a functional car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
My girl made an hr long vid and when she tried to stop the recording the camera malfunctioned...froze and when we restarted it. it never saved the video.
keep in mind I am an amature, I was in the beginners course not the race track event.
I am going to another one on April 5th at Willow springs balcony then another April 27th in Vegas.
hopefully I will have something to show..
Same here, I am no pro but its always fun to watch videos.
Appreciate 0