BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Foolclear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Went to the dealer after tmps comes on. The dealer fill air in tire said I'm good to go. Next day had a flat because it had a puncture in it that the dealer didn't check. Now out 500 bucks for new tire and any damage cause to rim. Complaint to bmwna said there nothing they can do.
I feel that the dealer should take some responsibly for not checking the tire properly and letting me go on a puncture which can cause major damage to my wheel.

Thoughts anyone
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

agreed, resetting the TPMS without checking for a puncture is irresponsible. You brought the vehicle for a clear complaint which they failed to check out. You are out the tire costs either way as BMW dealers refuse to fix punctures for liability reasons...damage to the rim as a result of their not properly checking the original complaint is on them. Key thing here is...did you have a written up work order to check the TPMS light, or was the tire filed by the courtesy valet?

-bubu
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolclear View Post
Went to the dealer after tmps comes on. The dealer fill air in tire said I'm good to go. Next day had a flat because it had a puncture in it that the dealer didn't check. Now out 500 bucks for new tire and any damage cause to rim. Complaint to bmwna said there nothing they can do.
I feel that the dealer should take some responsibly for not checking the tire properly and letting me go on a puncture which can cause major damage to my wheel.

Thoughts anyone

welcome to reality where people will do shitty things sometimes
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
It's a fact that there are good and bad BMW dealerships, the bad ones give the good ones a bad name. I'm on my 7th Bimmer and have learned it's up to us to find that good dealership.

Somehow I wish that BMW Germany would Qualety approve and check there dealerships, after all they are ALL Subcontractors ... As I said some are good and some are not so good it's a putty ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

This sucks! I have the tire and rim insurance exactly for this reason. On a side note, my TPMS alert came on this weekend when it suddenly got cold (80 degrees down to 38 degrees in one day. Low temps reduce tire pressure. Anybody else experience this? My SA told me if I buy new tires from him (he would match a popular website price) he will give me the nitrogen fill no charge. Dont need tires yet...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

That's terrible.

Post up the dealership's name!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Hothonda
***EX-NSX***
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
My SA told me if I buy new tires from him (he would match a popular website price) he will give me the nitrogen fill no charge. Dont need tires yet...
The regular air we breathe is 78% nitrogen....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Foolclear
Enlisted Member
Rep

The dealer basically said they will not check for puncture if the pressure is not to low, which to me is a bunch of bs excuses. The tire is one of the most important component of a car and should be inspected properly to insure the safely of the driver and other motorist.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Wait, you actually went out of your way to go to the dealer (and its not a RFT on the M3, so the same 150miles at 50mph DOESN'T apply to you) and have them check, instead of doing it yourself? Thats great, SMH.

Your tire, you picked up the nail/ screw/ piece of metal, your responsibility. Get yourself a tire pressure reader and get your fingers dirty. More than likely, you could have prevented the damage to your rim, and the tire could have been patched if in center tread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Khrishna
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts anyone
Ok first, if you did have a puncture and dealer didnt diagnose it properly thats one thing.

But how did you damage your rim? Did you drive on the tire when it was flat? if so, thats on you

Second, even if the dealer had diagnosed the puncture, you would have still been responsible to patch it or buy a new tire.

So what exactly are you expecting BMW NA to do for you...you're just upset the dealer didnt catch the puncture, oh well shit happens...ANY tire shop could have caught it for $10 ..not even sure who takes their car to a "dealer" for a tmps light or tire issue? absurd

You, yourself should have monitored the tire once you knew you had a potential leak

I swear..doesnt anyone take responsibility for basic shit anymore? wow
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrishna View Post
Ok first, if you did have a puncture and dealer didnt diagnose it properly thats one thing.

But how did you damage your rim? Did you drive on the tire when it was flat? if so, thats on you

Second, even if the dealer had diagnosed the puncture, you would have still been responsible to patch it or buy a new tire.

So what exactly are you expecting BMW NA to do for you...you're just upset the dealer didnt catch the puncture, oh well shit happens...ANY tire shop could have caught it for $10 ..not even sure who takes their car to a "dealer" for a tmps light or tire issue? absurd

You, yourself should have monitored the tire once you knew you had a potential leak

I swear..doesnt anyone take responsibility for basic shit anymore? wow
That's a little harsh, but I tend to agree. There are a lot of people out there that have little interest in wrenching on their cars or doing maintenance, but filling gas, checking oil and inflating your tires are basic necessities.

That said, the dealer should have inspected the tire and at least notified the OP of the puncture.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

I once had a very slow leak (~1pound/week). It drove me crazy for months. I would check tire and refill weekly. I took it to a tire store and even went through a mechanical inspection in NY. Nothing! The tire guy said it might be a leak from the wheel or maybe the tire wasn't properly seated. Well, long story short - there was a tiny nail imbeded in the tread. Got the tire patched, end of problem.

What I'm getting at is the dealer may have looked for the source of the leak, but not found it. Stuff happens!

Oh, and yes, a BMW dealer will patch a tire...ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts anyone
It's lousy luck, but the dealership can easily say you had a puncture after you left the shop. Also, if it took a whole day to deflate, the more so they can claim it wasn't their fault given the amount of time that passed. Sorry to hear it, but hopefully your rims aren't damaged.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

I agree with nbennettksu. As soon as you see a low pressure warning, you need do the evaluation to determine the problem and then make a decision on what you are going to do. It's your car even if it's under warranty and ignoring the situation even for a short period of time can mean a new wheel and tire instead of just a patch. Given those alternatives, its nuts not to do a diagnosis yourself. As soon the TPM light came on I would gotten the car home (assuming you could use the on-board pump to keep it above 25 PSI) and then pull the wheel (using the jack that you bought from BMW because the car didn't come with one since you knew this at purchase) and then do a careful examination to see what the problem was.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

There is some personal responsibility lacking here IMO.
      11-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Did you really go back to the dealer for the tire?
Not sure how you spent $500 for a tire?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
I once had a very slow leak (~1pound/week). It drove me crazy for months. I would check tire and refill weekly. I took it to a tire store and even went through a mechanical inspection in NY. Nothing! The tire guy said it might be a leak from the wheel or maybe the tire wasn't properly seated. Well, long story short - there was a tiny nail imbeded in the tread. Got the tire patched, end of problem.

What I'm getting at is the dealer may have looked for the source of the leak, but not found it. Stuff happens!

Oh, and yes, a BMW dealer will patch a tire...ask me how I know.
BMW dealer will patch a non-RFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

something like this is your responsibility.

tpms probably malfunctions 90% of the time, especially when its starting to get significantly colder across the country.
      11-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
something like this is your responsibility.

tpms probably malfunctions 90% of the time, especially when its starting to get significantly colder across the country.
not sure if that's true, unless you've seen it on the forum somewhere. The cooler temperatures can cause the air in your tires to contract and thus make your tire pressure fluctuate (affect TPMS). I've seen it drop 3 psi easily.
      11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
not sure if that's true, unless you've seen it on the forum somewhere. The cooler temperatures can cause the air in your tires to contract and thus make your tire pressure fluctuate (affect TPMS). I've seen it drop 3 psi easily.
right. when the weather starts to get a lot colder, tpms starts to act up. this is true for the frontier forums i'm on as well. most of the time people complain about the tpm system light on for nothing, but every once in a while, someone drives around with a tire falling off the rim and blames the tpms because it was on for a few days and they thought it was just acting up as it does when the temperature starts to cool down...
there is an element of personal responsibility (i.e., actually checking the tire pressure) that can't be ignored just because someone has tpms.
      11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
right. when the weather starts to get a lot colder, tpms starts to act up. this is true for the frontier forums i'm on as well. most of the time people complain about the tpm system light on for nothing, but every once in a while, someone drives around with a tire falling off the rim and blames the tpms because it was on for a few days and they thought it was just acting up as it does when the temperature starts to cool down...
there is an element of personal responsibility (i.e., actually checking the tire pressure) that can't be ignored just because someone has tpms.
I see what you mean now.

I was responding to your claim of "90% TPMS malfunction". The TPMS isn't malfunctioning, it's actually working. It's up to the driver to check at that point and add air and observe etc. You're right, some people do not understand or take into account personally having to check tires under these circumstances.