BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

07-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
IL8Apex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 1999 E36 M3

Hello San Diego - Carwashes

Just moved to San Diego from the Bay Area. I have always washed my own cars, but now renting an apartment waiting for the right home to show up. No place to wash cars in my complex.

Looking for recommendations for good hand-wash places. Even one of those self-wash places would be OK, but usually they're located in less savory areas.

Right now located in Carmel Valley area.
      07-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

If you still want to wash yourself... You have 2 very good options
1) pick up a Rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse Wash and wax or Chemical guys Eco wash; use with a two bucket system and grit guards; blot dry and top off with a detail spray to act as a drying agent...

2) or get a pump sprayer; fill it with a waterless wash such as meguiars or chemical guys ecosmart; and a bunch of plush/ thick microfiber towels to spread the product and a bunch of fine microfiber towel to buff

For wheels I've found that rinsing the wheels with water from a pump sprayer then hitting it with a wheel cleaner like meguiars all wheel cleaner, let it sit, agitate with a brush, then use the water filled pump sprayer to rinse

Btw there is a chemical guys in San Diego where you can get all of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8Apex
Just moved to San Diego from the Bay Area. I have always washed my own cars, but now renting an apartment waiting for the right home to show up. No place to wash cars in my complex.

Looking for recommendations for good hand-wash places. Even one of those self-wash places would be OK, but usually they're located in less savory areas.

Right now located in Carmel Valley area.
Welcome to SD!

Before I got completely set up at home to do my own washes, I used to take my M to La Jolla Car Wash in north PB on Turquoise. $20 for a hand wash and they do an impeccable job (even on the ZCP wheels).
You're welcome to come down to crown point and use my driveway/cul de sac if you prefer as well...I bought way too many gallons of sonax wheel cleaner months ago and have been trying to use it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Welcome! This is where I go since i've moved down here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/crazy-charli...e%20car%20wash

I'll keep an eye out for your ride.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Live in Carmel valley as well! I'm a detail nerd so for I would say go to this self serve car wash in pacific beach called spot free rinse. Great price and the spot free rinse works. If you want a proper detail done message me and I'll give you my detailers info
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
Welcome! This is where I go since i've moved down here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/crazy-charli...e%20car%20wash

I'll keep an eye out for your ride.
Thanks for posting this. I live in Poway so that place is not to far from me. I like to do my own two-bucket wash but it's nice to know there's a good place nearby if I'm ever too tired to do it myself.

Also, rjd598, I'd love to hear who you recommend for a detailer.

(Full disclosure: I currently have a mere Z4 35i. Working on getting an M3 and joining the club as soon as I can.)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
IL8Apex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 1999 E36 M3

Thanks, guys! Excited to be down in SoCal and maybe we can plan a SD meet sometime.

rjd598, looks like we have the same stable of cars. My other is an E36 M3 as well.
      07-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I am in SD. I usually wash my car in my driveway but I have used the self serve place in Pacific Beach as well. I even bring a mitt with me while I am washing. Afterwards there is a good area to pull the car into to dry. Also, it would be a good area to to apply a coat of duragloss or Griots no rinse car wash when your drying.

As a side note, I have used Optimum No Rinse wash as well with the two bucket method. Results are very good.

Jason
      07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

I used to go to the self washes then I got all the stuff to detail at home. I am lazy now since I moved back DT from having a house in Encinitas. I go to Pearl car wash in LJ. They do a good job and I don't have to worry about scratches. I do the basic wash and wheel detail.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I am in SD. I usually wash my car in my driveway but I have used the self serve place in Pacific Beach as well. I even bring a mitt with me while I am washing. Afterwards there is a good area to pull the car into to dry. Also, it would be a good area to to apply a coat of duragloss or Griots no rinse car wash when your drying.

As a side note, I have used Optimum No Rinse wash as well with the two bucket method. Results are very good.

Jason
I go there every couple of weeks to wash mine. It's only a block from my house though, so it's an easy decision for me. $5 in tokens should buy you enough time. Bring your own waffle towels to dry and whatever else you want to clean wheels, windows etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Jremmy
Medic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post

Jason
I go there every couple of weeks to wash mine. It's only a block from my house though, so it's an easy decision for me. $5 in tokens should buy you enough time. Bring your own waffle towels to dry and whatever else you want to clean wheels, windows etc.
Did you move? I saw a MR e92 w black ZCP style rims parked around the corner from my house on Lamont and PB drive last week. Car looked pristine!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
Did you move? I saw a MR e92 w black ZCP style rims parked around the corner from my house on Lamont and PB drive last week. Car looked pristine!
Ah yeah that was probably me. I was looking at a property over there actually. I think it was Monday last week.

I'm over in that area sometimes though. My GF has a plot at the community garden so I stop by sometimes and water it.

Glad the car was looking good! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Jremmy
Medic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Ah yeah that was probably me. I was looking at a property over there actually. I think it was Monday last week.

I'm over in that area sometimes though. My GF has a plot at the community garden so I stop by sometimes and water it.

Glad the car was looking good! Thanks!
Nice! Well, when you're over in the area, if you wanna save yourself the hassle of using the public wash, you're always more than welcome to use my drive way and power washer/foam cannon to wash your ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
So when is a meet? All these SD folks and no fun yet.