BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Hi, all.

This is a weird time, for me. Sold the M3, and while I have kind of changed gears a little, I am hoping it won't be for long. I have enjoyed every single minute behind the wheel of my M3, it must be said, and once the next iteration of the M3 surfaces, there is not a doubt in my mind that I'll be back.

It wasn't easy leaving my M3. Like I said, I LOVED that thing. But, I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about, with exotic ownership. At the end of the day, after narrowing things down as much as i could, I was vascillating between a Ferrari F430 (possibly, a Scuderia), or the Gallardo. One week it was an Fcar, then next, definitely the Gallardo.

In the end, the decision was multi-factorial - purchasing a Lamborghini scratches an age-old itch - I still have my massive poster of a Countach, that hung from my bedroom wall, for years. I still remember at the age of ten, being put to bed by my Dad, and asking him, absolutely seriously, "Dad, if I do become a doctor, and work hard, will I be able to buy a Lamborghini?". Innocent enough, but in ways, that sentiment was in part the driving force behind me choosing the path I did, in terms of employment. As time went by, priorities of course changed, but the longing for a Lamborghini remained.

I have been exceptionally lucky throughout my life. Coming into a stage of my life when I could actually afford to purchase my dream car, I began to have doubts - what would my family and friends think? What would my patients think? We live in a small city on the prairies, in Canada. A Lambo here, might send out all the wrong signals. The very last thing I would ever wish, is to be defined by the car I drive. Could I really afford it? Thankfully, I have a wonderful, wonderful wife, who not only agreed that I should proceed, but encouraged it (maybe this was simply in order to put an end to my incessant queries "Mary -what do you think of this colour/wheel/interior"..... I will wonder this to my grave, haha). Another great friend had multiple pearls of wisdom for me - from "there are no medals for being the richest man in the graveyard", to "can you afford it? You can't afford NOT to buy it". "If you wait, the only thing that happens, is that you get older".

So, in the end, I decided I should go after an exotic. After consideration, I had it narrowed down to F430, perhaps Scuderia, and Gallardo. Then, F430 bit the dust, as it wasn't really appreciably faster than my last car - 2009 M3, with extensive modifications, mind.... The Scuderia was next on the chopping block - too raw, and (perhaps just my own take on this), seemed too prone to reliability issues. This left me with the Gallardo. Next - pre-LP, or LP? Again, see my friend's philosophy above.... I decided that an LP was in order. I actually inquired quite seriously about a 2008 Superleggera, but it just didn't push the right buttons - I knew that there was a newer, better performing version (the LP), and after having my heart set on it, nothing else would do.

So, after literally MONTHS of scouring autotrader, cars.com, dupontregistry, etc., etc., (I was at one time very open to importing a car from the States), the perfect car came into sight - or, should I say, reappeared. At first, I thought I shouldn't spend as much as they were asking, but then, their pricing came down a little, and I started taking stock in my friend's philosophical take on the matter.

So, without further ado, I present...... my new (to me) LP560. It is in Toronto, and is being picked up on December 8th - delivery is scheduled for December 10th/11th, or 12th. 2009 LP560-4. 2600km, and in absolutely perfect condition, everywhere. Purchased from Caliber Auto in Toronto. I dealt with Serge - FANTASTIC guy to deal with - answered every single email in a matter of minutes, and is he couldn't, it was literally because he couldn't (and even then, only took a while longer!) - thanks, Serge!

Small problem. I'm in Cancun. Until the 14th. My brother-in-law will drive the car before I will! He's going to meet the transport company, and park the car in the garage. No big deal, but I NEVER thought I'd WISH for a holiday to end, hahaha....

This is a huge thing for me. It represents a lifetime of dreams, aspirations, and some degree of sacrifice. In the end, though, that grin on my face is there, that feeling of anticipation, almost child-like, very real.

Few pics from the dealer's web site.

Sorry the extended dissertation! This has been a long time coming.....

This is definitely not a good bye - rather, a "see you all later"... the next m3 is going to be killer, and I'm not about to miss out.....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Congrats man, enjoy your Lambo
      12-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Congrats! Amazing car! I have to admit I'm VERRRYYY jealous!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

For once with absolutely no sarcasm.. "Cool story, bro!"

Congrats, enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Congrats! Saw that car listed on the Calibre site! Looks nice - a great find - very clean and low, low mileage.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
sqweak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Congrats man! I can certainly identify w/ attaining your dream car, especially after working hard to achieve it. Your friend is right, you can't take anything with you so might as well enjoy it now.

I love this photo, and how the car appears to be wider than the house behind it Certainly a weirdly modest neighborhood setting choice by the dealership for taking pics of an exotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
TTBear, I thought you were on vacation!

So, you're reading Bimmerpost huh? Well, in that case, I need to send you a PM.

You know what I have to say about this:

Your dissertation was funny. I wonder if my husband ended up encouraging me for the same reason, so that I would stop taking about the M3!

I went through a similar thought process on the M... (although we're not talking about the same level of money! )

You've worked hard (you are still working hard!), you've been waiting for this, you've been prudent, you are financially comfortable, your other financial objectives are not suffering, etc. Basically, low risk situation.

But life is unpredictable, as is our health. Cars are our passion, we've been this way since we were little kids. We get a big grin every second we're behind a fabulous driving machine, even when we're stuck in traffic, lol. (Which finally made me say, "Oh f*ck it. It's time for my first M car!")

Oh, and I'll be waiting for the report on your first impressions! Don't be tardy!

Last edited by JulieDriving; 12-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

So this is how our good Canadian friends role ......very nice move. Enjoy the new whip and don't be a stranger.................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great story. I reminds me of myself when I was a child. I am still far away from getting a Lamborghini, but I hope that the future will be kind to me.

Wish you great moments with this amazing piece of engineering!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Congrats!! Getting your dream car is really special. The M3 has always been my dream car, so its differant for everyone, GOD BLESS GEAR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!
      12-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Congrats! Sexy Sexy Car. Enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Hi, all.

This is a weird time, for me. Sold the M3, and while I have kind of changed gears a little, I am hoping it won't be for long. I have enjoyed every single minute behind the wheel of my M3, it must be said, and once the next iteration of the M3 surfaces, there is not a doubt in my mind that I'll be back.

It wasn't easy leaving my M3. Like I said, I LOVED that thing. But, I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about, with exotic ownership. At the end of the day, after narrowing things down as much as i could, I was vascillating between a Ferrari F430 (possibly, a Scuderia), or the Gallardo. One week it was an Fcar, then next, definitely the Gallardo.

In the end, the decision was multi-factorial - purchasing a Lamborghini scratches an age-old itch - I still have my massive poster of a Countach, that hung from my bedroom wall, for years. I still remember at the age of ten, being put to bed by my Dad, and asking him, absolutely seriously, "Dad, if I do become a doctor, and work hard, will I be able to buy a Lamborghini?". Innocent enough, but in ways, that sentiment was in part the driving force behind me choosing the path I did, in terms of employment. As time went by, priorities of course changed, but the longing for a Lamborghini remained.

I have been exceptionally lucky throughout my life. Coming into a stage of my life when I could actually afford to purchase my dream car, I began to have doubts - what would my family and friends think? What would my patients think? We live in a small city on the prairies, in Canada. A Lambo here, might send out all the wrong signals. The very last thing I would ever wish, is to be defined by the car I drive. Could I really afford it? Thankfully, I have a wonderful, wonderful wife, who not only agreed that I should proceed, but encouraged it (maybe this was simply in order to put an end to my incessant queries "Mary -what do you think of this colour/wheel/interior"..... I will wonder this to my grave, haha). Another great friend had multiple pearls of wisdom for me - from "there are no medals for being the richest man in the graveyard", to "can you afford it? You can't afford NOT to buy it". "If you wait, the only thing that happens, is that you get older".

So, in the end, I decided I should go after an exotic. After consideration, I had it narrowed down to F430, perhaps Scuderia, and Gallardo. Then, F430 bit the dust, as it wasn't really appreciably faster than my last car - 2009 M3, with extensive modifications, mind.... The Scuderia was next on the chopping block - too raw, and (perhaps just my own take on this), seemed too prone to reliability issues. This left me with the Gallardo. Next - pre-LP, or LP? Again, see my friend's philosophy above.... I decided that an LP was in order. I actually inquired quite seriously about a 2008 Superleggera, but it just didn't push the right buttons - I knew that there was a newer, better performing version (the LP), and after having my heart set on it, nothing else would do.

So, after literally MONTHS of scouring autotrader, cars.com, dupontregistry, etc., etc., (I was at one time very open to importing a car from the States), the perfect car came into sight - or, should I say, reappeared. At first, I thought I shouldn't spend as much as they were asking, but then, their pricing came down a little, and I started taking stock in my friend's philosophical take on the matter.

So, without further ado, I present...... my new (to me) LP560. It is in Toronto, and is being picked up on December 8th - delivery is scheduled for December 10th/11th, or 12th. 2009 LP560-4. 2600km, and in absolutely perfect condition, everywhere. Purchased from Caliber Auto in Toronto. I dealt with Serge - FANTASTIC guy to deal with - answered every single email in a matter of minutes, and is he couldn't, it was literally because he couldn't (and even then, only took a while longer!) - thanks, Serge!

Small problem. I'm in Cancun. Until the 14th. My brother-in-law will drive the car before I will! He's going to meet the transport company, and park the car in the garage. No big deal, but I NEVER thought I'd WISH for a holiday to end, hahaha....

This is a huge thing for me. It represents a lifetime of dreams, aspirations, and some degree of sacrifice. In the end, though, that grin on my face is there, that feeling of anticipation, almost child-like, very real.

Few pics from the dealer's web site.

Sorry the extended dissertation! This has been a long time coming.....

This is definitely not a good bye - rather, a "see you all later"... the next m3 is going to be killer, and I'm not about to miss out.....
Congrats!!! It's a gorgeous car!! I can definitely relate to your story and must say I'm a few steps behind. My dream car is a Ferrari. Maybe in a few years... Maybe....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think you made a brilliant decision. You out the options in front of you, and I feel the outcome was exactly what I would have done.

Congratulations!

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Awesome car, enjoy! Now get some rims on that bad boy and scare some old people!!!
      12-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

First, congrats!

Second, being on vacation in Cancun while your new exotic is being delivered is the kind of "problem" we all should have.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Quag's M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Well done sir. I apologize for the drool while looking at this beast
      12-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Sounds very well deserved with a long time coming

Enjoy her in good health and if there are any little dings when you first see her, blame the brother in law
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Well done Allan. Have no regrets and just enjoy your new machine with Mary.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Awesome pick up. Enjoy it in good health.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Hi, all.

<snip>

Wow, if you are going to sell your M3 you certainly picked a nice replacement!

What a well written note, and clearly from the heart. IMO, physicians are undervalued for the sacrifices they make (med school - and corresponding debt, thankless internships, long shifts, etc). I'm very happy for your ability to buy this vehicle. Besides, there are no guarantees in life (you guys see it much more than the rest of us!), so enjoy it! Frankly I would welcome going to a physician that drove an M3 or better. Much more interesting "small talk" opportunities. Take care and be safe!
      12-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #21
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Nice Lambo, big congrats, we can all identify with taking the big leap to the "dream car"---don't think, just DO. Good for you!

Last edited by S65V8; 12-06-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Congratulations! You've made a great choice!
Appreciate 0