BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Are power and heated seats Plug and Play?

After looking at the new configuration from BMW for the 2012 cars, I just want to add leather power/heated seats to a base car with a few options like Comfort Access.
I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was possible?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Power and heated seats are plug and play in US cars as far as I remember but you will need to add the buttons. Also it will cost you like $7000 if you want to get the seats from the dealer, so you'd have to look for a trade which is impossible to find. Overall it's much better just to get the options.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Power and heated seats are plug and play in US cars as far as I remember but you will need to add the buttons. Also it will cost you like $7000 if you want to get the seats from the dealer, so you'd have to look for a trade which is impossible to find. Overall it's much better just to get the options.
Thanks for the info.
It's a $4,500 option and I don't even want them. Like you said, I'm hoping to find a set someone wants to sell.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks for the info.
It's a $4,500 option and I don't even want them. Like you said, I'm hoping to find a set someone wants to sell.

Actually it's only $3000 for both heated and power, $2000 for both if you are getting a leather interior (which almost everyone is).

Nobody is ever going to sell a pair of front heated and power seats for less than $2000, and you have to get the buttons, which are actually a few hundred because they come in a kit so it's actually more expensive, and you're risking having to possibly retrofit thousands of dollars of parts if BMW changes something in their build and you may need to pay hundreds of dollars of programing.

On the other hand you get a bunch more features and a lower price by getting the option. Besides that, there's actually only a very very small chance someone will have the interior you want.

Forget about it, that's my advice.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Nobody is ever going to sell a pair of front heated and power seats for less than $2000, and you have to get the buttons, which are actually a few hundred because they come in a kit so it's actually more expensive, and you're risking having to possibly retrofit thousands of dollars of parts if BMW changes something in their build and you may need to pay hundreds of dollars of programing.
Wow didn't realize the power seats are in the 2k range. Maybe OP needs to make a friend with someone who swapped out to a Recaro seat and see if he can get a discount.
Appreciate 0