BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #67
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I didn't buy the M to be a pure weekend-only track rat, so for me, it's the perfect balance of luxury and rawness when I want it.

If you want something more "raw", then get something more raw. You can find lightweight platforms that, with a few mods, can be exhilarating, but you're not going to want to commute in them or take them on long trips. Buy that car. The E9X is a perfect blend to me. If I wanted more luxury, I'd buy an older M5, and if I wanted less, I'd look at Miatas, older Porsches, Evos, Subarus, etc.
Appreciate 2
Scharbag2619.00
blue-mw217.00
      12-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #68
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Hate to break it to you but a stripper is more raw than a loaded one. There is no EDC to soften the ride. There is no sunroof with weight at the highest point which is why bmw spent hundreds of thousand to develop a carbon roof. The seats are lighter when manual. There are no motors in the mirrors for folding less I drive wiring and better track visibility without the hump on dash. It also makes a statement that you want the most focused and lighter version of the machine. It IS the rawest iteration and you can try to convince yourself and those that agree with you that adding fluff doesn't dilute the car somewhat but it does. The e90 humpless dash without iDrive is beautiful and focused. And those that optioned their cars that way get it. 3 cents.
I'd love to do a back-to-back review and see if I could feel the difference. Maybe on a track, but I don't think I drive it hard enough to feel it. For me, the stripper is an aesthetic preference + cool factor.
Me too. I would love it. Wish someone would just do it to get numbers. But even subjectively, having a clean simple nav free dash is more focused and raw iDrive. Manual is
More raw than automatic. Firm analog suspension is more raw than electronically softened ride.

Google the video of top gear where clarkson trying to drag race and configure launch control on m3..... not raw. Manual you hit gas and drop the clutch. As raw as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #69
JAYBLS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe

The E9x M3 strikes the perfect balance of sports car, luxury, and daily usability in one car: it's too big & heavy to be a really great sports car, too luxurious to be a really great daily, and not quite luxurious enough to be considered a really great luxury car. But the wonderful thing about it is because of that versatility, with little customization it can be made into a competitive track weapon, an ultra-lux GT, or a total show stopper. I have enjoyed mine for the past almost three years on several road trips, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and as a daily. I'd complain about the fuel economy if it was any less of an event every time I get to drive it (which is pretty much every day). The E9x M in any configuration it may have come from the factory is a keeper in my opinion. I'm definitely keeping mine.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD945.50
      12-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #70
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
That is an oddly optioned car... Cloth manual seats, but nav and a sunroof? That's a unicorn there.
Agreed. It's not a common build as far as I know. I do love the seats in my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #71
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think the problem is you have a separate DD, and the M3 is redundant with those duties. What you are describing is the yearning for a proper sports car that doesn’t compromise. The E9X will never be that even in stripper form. It makes an excellent DD though.
And this is why I just sold my DD and made my E90 the daily. I got the car to make it a fun weekend car, but eventually realized that it's the perfect daily.

Now I'm setting aside the bread to put a P car in the garage for fun time.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #72
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
We have very different opinions on this forum about what makes a perfect DD. For me it's good gas mileage, a comfy suspension, quietness, low rpm torque and low cost/maintenance for parts and repair. The e90 m3, while awesome fun to drive, does not even check one of those boxes for me. It is loud-ish, gets terrible gas mileage, has a taught suspension, needs to be wrung out for good torque/work/power, and cost of parts/maintenance/repair can be terrifying of you dont diy. If you think this car is too comfy for a sports sedan, maybe look into a gt350 or some such thing. Something edgier but less refined for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #73
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I didn't buy the M to be a pure weekend-only track rat, so for me, it's the perfect balance of luxury and rawness when I want it.

If you want something more "raw", then get something more raw. You can find lightweight platforms that, with a few mods, can be exhilarating, but you're not going to want to commute in them or take them on long trips. Buy that car. The E9X is a perfect blend to me. If I wanted more luxury, I'd buy an older M5, and if I wanted less, I'd look at Miatas, older Porsches, Evos, Subarus, etc.
Mine won’t be used as a track-rat, but 100% special occasion car when I have time to drive on the fun mountain back roads near me. Ok, maybe I will take it to the track once to see what it’s like

If there is another 4-door manual sedan (and it must have 4-doors) that is more raw and engaging than the E90 M3, I’m all ears. I already had an ‘04 STi and considered an Evo 9, but saving that for later...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #74
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
And this is why I just sold my DD and made my E90 the daily. I got the car to make it a fun weekend car, but eventually realized that it's the perfect daily.

Now I'm setting aside the bread to put a P car in the garage for fun time.
Nice! I went with a wife-approved S2000.
      12-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #75
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

How about a Lime Rock Edition?

So, I hear a lot about the M3 Lime Rock Edition. Would that be a "raw" version of the E92 M3?

[IMG]Lime Rock m3 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/154095477@N03/][/IMG]

[IMG]LR 6MT M3 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/154095477@N03/][/IMG]

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:39 AM   #76
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
No, limerock was a meaningless trim package. It wouldn’t address the problem any more than cloth manual seats.

The e90 M3 CRT would probably address the issue (I say probably because I’ve never driven one... but I feel confident I’d like it).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:41 AM   #77
e90///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donadio91 View Post
I agree that too much luxury in a sports car is a bad thing but what about the E90 M3 screams luxury? I actually feel that it's the perfect balance. It's Mercedes and Audi counterparts are way more luxurious.
I think if I lost the leather seats, nav, and all the tech, it would be much closer to what I'm looking for (basically the stripper model). Also, I should have probably used the word "refined" rather than luxury.

That said, I'm not about to sell it anytime soon. I just think I need an additional "fun" car that offers more raw and less refinement.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donadio91 View Post
I agree that too much luxury in a sports car is a bad thing but what about the E90 M3 screams luxury? I actually feel that it's the perfect balance. It's Mercedes and Audi counterparts are way more luxurious.
I think if I lost the leather seats, nav, and all the tech, it would be much closer to what I'm looking for (basically the stripper model). Also, I should have probably used the word "refined" rather than luxury.

That said, I'm not about to sell it anytime soon. I just think I need an additional "fun" car that offers more raw and less refinement.
Stripping your car is free and spend a little money on some race buckets and you got yourself what your looking for ... heck throw in a cage while your at it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:44 AM   #78
e90///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Suspension mods would also be your friend
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:15 AM   #79
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

The e90 M3 CRT would probably address the issue (I say probably because I’ve never driven one... but I feel confident I’d like it).
Makes two of us then. Never even seen one in real life but absolutely sure I would love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #80
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
So, I hear a lot about the M3 Lime Rock Edition. Would that be a "raw" version of the E92 M3?

[IMG]Lime Rock m3 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/154095477@N03/][/IMG]

[IMG]LR 6MT M3 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/154095477@N03/][/IMG]
They're cool cars for sure and I love the trim, but I *think* it would still drive mostly like a regular E92 M3. The E92 M3 GTS, however, is a different animal (good luck finding one). Either way, both only come in 2-doors (a no-go) and would cost more than I'm willing to spend on a 2nd car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #81
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, limerock was a meaningless trim package. It wouldn’t address the problem any more than cloth manual seats.

The M3 CRT would be very close and the ///M enthusiast's dream car, but I've only seen one for sale in the US and they were asking Ferrari money. Pretty sure it's also legalized under "Show and Display" so you can't drive it more than 2500 miles / yr.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/04/ul...-grabs-299950/

For less money, a determined E90 M3 owner could get some nice Recaro carbon buckets, do a one-off interior, and throw in a Dinan stroker for similar effect. I suspect it would show up on BAT at some point...

Speaking of which, I did play the "What if?" game with that S65 stroker 1M clone recently, but the lack of a 6MT (and what I suspected the final selling price would be) killed it for me. Though, that car would check my "raw occasion car + bare bones" box pretty well and I'd figure out how to deal with the 2-door, 4-seat configuration.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-1-series-3/
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #82
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Bushings, suspension, sticky tires, weight loss, bolt-ons & tune. Done.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #83
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Quote:
Quote:

The M3 CRT would be very close and the ///M enthusiast's dream car, but I've only seen one for sale in the US and they were asking Ferrari money. Pretty sure it's also legalized under "Show and Display" so you can't drive it more than 2500 miles / yr.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/04/ul...-grabs-299950/

For less money, a determined E90 M3 owner could get some nice Recaro carbon buckets, do a one-off interior, and throw in a Dinan stroker for similar effect. I suspect it would show up on BAT at some point...

Speaking of which, I did play the "What if?" game with that S65 stroker 1M clone recently, but the lack of a 6MT (and what I suspected the final selling price would be) killed it for me. Though, that car would check my "raw occasion car + bare bones" box pretty well and I'd figure out how to deal with the 2-door, 4-seat configuration.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-1-series-3/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...uilt-molecule/

Came across this today and first
Thing that popped in my head was this thread. This would redefine RAW.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #84
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

can always strip the car and add a cage...then swap out for solid bushings and have it be unbearable to drive on the street lol
      12-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #85
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but a stripper is more raw than a loaded one. There is no EDC to soften the ride. There is no sunroof with weight at the highest point which is why bmw spent hundreds of thousand to develop a carbon roof. The seats are lighter when manual. There are no motors in the mirrors for folding less I drive wiring and better track visibility without the hump on dash. It also makes a statement that you want the most focused and lighter version of the machine. It IS the rawest iteration and you can try to convince yourself and those that agree with you that adding fluff doesn't dilute the car somewhat but it does. The e90 humpless dash without iDrive is beautiful and focused. And those that optioned their cars that way get it. 3 cents.
Yeah, no. You don't "get" what raw means. None of that shit affects the rawness (read: the level of isolation, noise, and feedback) of a vehicle to any meaningful degree, if at all. Even the EDC, in normal, will feel/drive like a non-EDC car, give or take and in full stiff will be actually less forgiving than a non-EDC.... contrary to your point.

The M3 has always been about providing a refined, high quality, high-performance driving experience. Not having NAV has nothing to do with that so please get off your high horse.

For the record, I MUCH prefer a more stripped down version myself, but I'm not going to sit here and preach that that's more "raw" than a loaded version. More focused/pure, perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #86
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Yeah, no. You don't "get" what raw means. None of that shit affects the rawness (read: the level of isolation, noise, and feedback) of a vehicle to any meaningful degree, if at all. Even the EDC, in normal, will feel/drive like a non-EDC car, give or take and in full stiff will be actually less forgiving than a non-EDC.... contrary to your point.

The M3 has always been about providing a refined, high quality, high-performance driving experience. Not having NAV has nothing to do with that so please get off your high horse.

For the record, I MUCH prefer a more stripped down version myself, but I'm not going to sit here and preach that that's more "raw" than a loaded version. More focused/pure, perhaps.
What? Are you 16?

Can you stop for a second and re-read your statement about the M3 always being about refined ride?

The M3 was a race car that was street legal. Then the next generation was a car that could keep up with super cars yet still have a back seat. The ride was firm and the handling world class sharp. The 3rd generation was hair on fire firm. Then the 4th generation became softer and more about refined ride.

If you are 16 and the 2008 M3 was the first M car you ever saw them maybe that would explain your confused statement about "always about refined ride."
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #87
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
What? Are you 16?

Can you stop for a second and re-read your statement about the M3 always being about refined ride?

The M3 was a race car that was street legal. Then the next generation was a car that could keep up with super cars yet still have a back seat. The ride was firm and the handling world class sharp. The 3rd generation was hair on fire firm. Then the 4th generation became softer and more about refined ride.

If you are 16 and the 2008 M3 was the first M car you ever saw them maybe that would explain your confused statement about "always about refined ride."
Yes, it offers a very high quality, over-engineered, taught and precise driving experience without being overly harsh/noisy = refined performance. Refined does NOT mean plush or luxurious as the M3 is definitely not, and has never been, that - I agree with you there, but, excluding the E30 M3, the car has been a road car first, racecar second. Thus, its blend of performance and refinement have been what define it - almost no other cars do this quite as well hence why the M3 is so good.

"Refined" and "taught/precise/firm" are not mutually exclusive. You have trouble comprehending that.

Last edited by EricSMG; 12-23-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #88
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00