BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

09-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Time for breaks...

Of course, I meant brakes. Sorry for the click bait!

So now that you're here, what rotors/pads do you guys recommend? I'm tentatively planning on going the FCP euro route. Short of going w/ a BBK, are there any "upgraded" rotors worth considering? ECS 2 piece rotors, perhaps? Also, what pads would you guys recommend? This is a street driven car, but I plan to do a couple of track events (I guess I'd change pads for those days anyway) in the future. Any other tips or thoughts before I jump into this myself? I'll use the pad DIY in the DIY section, and I've watched a few videos on YT. Hopefully the pad clips won't be a total PITA. Also is it worth getting SS brake lines based on my use for this car?

Lastly, any thoughts on a decent but budget BBK? Not looking to spend $4k, but not sure there are any options out there for less than that.

Appreciate the help/input as always!
      09-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
You can always look used for BBK. Just be ready to possibly rebuild them. Couple $$ but then they should be good to go. Fronts are the biggest problem and you will change those pads and rotors Twice as much as the rears.
      09-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Came here to troll about something that broke. Lol

If you're doing 1-2 events per year, you're better off going the fcp euro route and nursing those along with stainless lines, titanium shims, good fluid, and all the oem+ stuff.
PACarGuy646.00
      09-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
You can always look used for BBK. Just be ready to possibly rebuild them. Couple $$ but then they should be good to go. Fronts are the biggest problem and you will change those pads and rotors Twice as much as the rears.
Good call, I did start looking in the FS section. Doesn't seem like BBK's lose much value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Came here to troll about something that broke. Lol

If you're doing 1-2 events per year, you're better off going the fcp euro route and nursing those along with stainless lines, titanium shims, good fluid, and all the oem+ stuff.
Yea, I think you're right roastbeef . Besides, at my skill/ability, I don't think I'll be pushing the existing limits all that much.

I did some searching through all the brake threads and did see this kit... https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...-Compound.html
seemed interesting but of course, FCP stuff has the lifetime warranty which is pretty awesome.
      09-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Good call, I did start looking in the FS section. Doesn't seem like BBK's lose much value.

Yea, I think you're right roastbeef . Besides, at my skill/ability, I don't think I'll be pushing the existing limits all that much.

I did some searching through all the brake threads and did see this kit... https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...-Compound.html
seemed interesting but of course, FCP stuff has the lifetime warranty which is pretty awesome.
i'm a fan of fcp euro. i had to return something i ordered by mistake and it was super easy. it was stored as a previous purchase and all i had to do was login and click a few buttons.
another thing i appreciate is their fair shipping prices... they don't gouge you for $15 like some places. most of the time, it is free.
so if you're going to go oem, run street tires, and track a few times a year, oem+ is a good choice.

however, if you're feeling frisky- that pfc kit would be my after market choice for rotors. looks like it includes the brass guides, and all you would need is some SRF and stainless lines to be a track day stud.
      10-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Just did my first track day in my E92 (in the blue/intermediate group) and unless you're in the higher run groups and really pushing it, the stock brakes with some better pads and fluid are plenty for this car. I put on some new Zimmerman rotors from FCP up front, some Stoptech Sport pads (not even a dedicated track pad - it's a hybrid) and some Brembo LCF600 fluid in and this setup held up well all day. The track wasn't all that hard on brakes (NJMP Thunder) but has at least 4 hard braking zones and I didn't experience an ounce of fade all day. The pedal got a bit softer towards the last session, but there was no fade or decrease in braking power.

My shop also said that SS lines on this car aren't really needed and aren't in fact a great choice for a DD, and based on the the way my brakes felt on track, I don't see them as a necessity. This car really is quite capable right out of the box.