BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

08-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #89
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You gotta get out! My TRP is all worn and scratched from years of service. It's actually at Springfield right now for new sights and some custom work. I'll post it when it gets back It is by far my favorite hand gun.
I know I need to...I can't wait to shoot it!

Nice, looking forward to seeing it! What do you normally carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Hey Ybbiz, I was looking on Springfield Armory's site because you've got me interested...

Can you tell me what is that squeezy trigger thing on the rear of the handle is (I'm guessing some sort of safety) and why the trigger looks like it has two parts?

This is the XD45 ACP Compact.

Also, if anyone has any opinions/comments on Springfield as a company please chime in.
Hey Doug, the first part you are referring to is indeed a safety. It is a grip safety, which needs to be depressed in order for the gun to fire.

The little scissor-like apparatus on the trigger is a trigger safety, which is basically a knock-off of Glock's "safe-action" trigger system (Glocks have no external safety, once the trigger is pulled, it will fire). Basically, the weapon will not fire unless you depress the trigger safety when you begin your trigger pull (with the XD, the grip safety must also be depressed as well, obviously).

On the XD model you are considering, there is no manual external safety, so once you depress the grip safety and trigger safety, the gun will go boom.

Hope that helps. The XD series of pistols from Springfield are quite nice but I prefer Glocks. The Springfield XD pistols have a more vertical, traditional grip angle, which some people really prefer. The grip angle on the Glock is a little different, but I love the way it feels. The best thing you can do is go out and actually hold, and if possible, fire the guns you are interested in purchasing to see what fits you best.

I was looking at the full-size XD .45 with the 5 inch barrel the other day and I liked it.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #90
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Hey Ybbiz, I was looking on Springfield Armory's site because you've got me interested...

Can you tell me what is that squeezy trigger thing on the rear of the handle is (I'm guessing some sort of safety) and why the trigger looks like it has two parts?

Also, if anyone has any opinions/comments on Springfield as a company please chime in.
Doug,

The XD is a very nice weapon and I encourage you to look at the XD-M. It has a bunch of improvements over the standard. I prefer this over Glock in contrast to Ybbiz.

Ybbiz,

I carry a 1911 in one form or another, and in addition to my TRP, I carry an Ed Brown Special Forces, A Kimber Raptor 3", and a Rock River Arms limited match. I also occasionally carry a Kahr PM-40. Many times, I carry a combination of the ones I have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #91
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I think everyone here missed the guy get his rear windshield smashed in the end.

guy would've been better off just driving away...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #92
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ybbiz,

I carry a 1911 in one form or another, and in addition to my TRP, I carry an Ed Brown Special Forces, A Kimber Raptor 3", and a Rock River Arms limited match. I also occasionally carry a Kahr PM-40. Many times, I carry a combination of the ones I have mentioned.
Nice. Pretty impressive list of options there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #93
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, I have an addiction!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #94
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
The guy had every means of escape. All he had to do was drive off. Instead he chose to stop his car, got out, and escalated the situation. If he had theoretically shot someone the DA would probably have sent it to a grand jury. Definitely stopped being self defense the minute he got out of his car.

Also, why would you get out of your car and go at people with a bat? Just run the assholes over.
i don't think you understand.

the guy stepped on his car.

if the driver's a car guy, that's a death sentence. :P

this thread is proof. on a car forum, a thread about a car being attacked becomes a thread about guns.
      08-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #95
sfef84
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Truth. I might be picking up a new 1911 tomorrow...

Although, I'm not sure if pulling out the firearm would be warranted in that situation considering the confrontation could have been avoided, and especially since none of those hooligans were armed with any sort of deadly force.
You must not be from Texas... Here, your car is considered an extension of you castle and can protect yourself by whatever means necessary. There's no stupid California law where you have to match force with force and can not protect yourself or your investment because the state is filled with a bunch of pacifists.

Heck, in Texas, you can carry in your car as long as it is hidden without a permit. Here in Houston, over a 10 year period despite a population increase of a couple million, our crime rate has decreased. Guess why? Because here in Texas, the media, citizens don't make an argument saying "How could the gunner have shot 6 unarmed drunk men" it would be " Is being publicly intoxicated and vandalizing worth being shot and killed?"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #96
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfef84 View Post
You must not be from Texas... Here, your car is considered an extension of you castle and can protect yourself by whatever means necessary. There's no stupid California law where you have to match force with force and can not protect yourself or your investment because the state is filled with a bunch of pacifists.

Heck, in Texas, you can carry in your car as long as it is hidden without a permit. Here in Houston, over a 10 year period despite a population increase of a couple million, our crime rate has decreased. Guess why? Because here in Texas, the media, citizens don't make an argument saying "How could the gunner have shot 6 unarmed drunk men" it would be " Is being publicly intoxicated and vandalizing worth being shot and killed?"
No, not from Texas, but I have relatives who live there.

Did you watch the video? The guy with the bat was by no means in serious danger. Once he had passed by the drunks, he stopped his car and got out to pick a fight. He wasn't really defending anything at this point.

I'm not saying that I'm against what that guy did by getting out and teaching them a lesson, I'm just saying that the situation in the video did not require the use of deadly force.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #97
sfef84
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
No, not from Texas, but I have relatives who live there.

Did you watch the video? The guy with the bat was by no means in serious danger. Once he had passed by the drunks, he stopped his car and got out to pick a fight. He wasn't really defending anything at this point.

I'm not saying that I'm against what that guy did by getting out and teaching them a lesson, I'm just saying that the situation in the video did not require the use of deadly force.
Sure did watch the video. I didn't mean any bad feelings your way in the previous post.

I know what you mean, a car isn't worth pulling out a gun, HOWEVER, I believe that you have every right to protect your property in any way. Who knows, maybe his hood was dented or windshield cracked I mean.. he was ambushed on a one way street, had his bumper, grill, hood and windshield stomped on.

My point is the difference in mindset and accountability in some states. In Texas, your asking to get shot dead. In liberal places like where the video occurred (Boston Mass.) the chance of getting shot dead NEVER crossed those guys' minds. If they knew that 30% of people carried in their cars, they might of had second thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #98
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

^I agree...an armed society is a safe society.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #99
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfef84 View Post
Sure did watch the video. I didn't mean any bad feelings your way in the previous post.

I know what you mean, a car isn't worth pulling out a gun, HOWEVER, I believe that you have every right to protect your property in any way. Who knows, maybe his hood was dented or windshield cracked I mean.. he was ambushed on a one way street, had his bumper, grill, hood and windshield stomped on.

My point is the difference in mindset and accountability in some states. In Texas, your asking to get shot dead. In liberal places like where the video occurred (Boston Mass.) the chance of getting shot dead NEVER crossed those guys' minds. If they knew that 30% of people carried in their cars, they might of had second thoughts.
I understand what you are saying.

I just don't know if I completely agree with the intensity and aggressiveness of the "Texas" mindset.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #100
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying.

I just don't know if I completely agree with the intensity and aggressiveness of the "Texas" mindset.
I think the point here is that the old saying that people were much more polite in the wild west. If you don't know who's packin you can never be sure. It is a statistically proven fact that CC states have far less crimes against person than in states that do not.

Agressiveness and firearms are two words that can be dangerous when combined. The significant defference is education/training. I am very aggressive when I deploy a firearm, but I am highly educated and trained in the use and ramifications of it's use.

Ignorance and firearm aggression are a tragedy waiting to happen. Insert your own scenario, and I can illustrate how it fits.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #101
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

i have an XD9. i love it.
      08-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #102
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Awesome. I love the sound of aluminum on cranium! However, I prefer the sound of racking the slide on my 1911.
Seems nice, two great options, but if had time enough my choose is pull their tooths one by one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #103
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
Seems nice, two great options, but if had time enough my choose is pull their tooths one by one.
You'd have to move really fast with those odds!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #104
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
I think the point here is that the old saying that people were much more polite in the wild west. If you don't know who's packin you can never be sure. It is a statistically proven fact that CC states have far less crimes against person than in states that do not.

Agressiveness and firearms are two words that can be dangerous when combined. The significant defference is education/training. I am very aggressive when I deploy a firearm, but I am highly educated and trained in the use and ramifications of it's use.

Ignorance and firearm aggression are a tragedy waiting to happen. Insert your own scenario, and I can illustrate how it fits.

i see it as a problem both ways :/

if nobody has a gun, like here in canada, then it's safer in the sense that you won't be in a life or death situation with a criminal pointing a gun at your head. but then, you can't protect yourself, family, friends or property as easily in case of a situation like above.

if everybody can have a gun, it's easier to protect yourself, but it's also easier for criminals to get one. so if you are attacked like in the video, you can have a gun in your car, but the attackers also might have guns. then it's just who's better at quickdraw.

... so i guess best idea is to let ME be the only one with a gun

or one of them new-fangled mobile iron man suits
      08-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #105
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
i see it as a problem both ways :/

if nobody has a gun, like here in canada, then it's safer in the sense that you won't be in a life or death situation with a criminal pointing a gun at your head. but then, you can't protect yourself, family, friends or property as easily in case of a situation like above.

if everybody can have a gun, it's easier to protect yourself, but it's also easier for criminals to get one. so if you are attacked like in the video, you can have a gun in your car, but the attackers also might have guns. then it's just who's better at quickdraw.

... so i guess best idea is to let ME be the only one with a gun

or one of them new-fangled mobile iron man suits
No...an armed society is a safe society due to this situation: if guns were illegal then only criminals would be able to get their hands on weapons and law abiding citizens wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #106
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Quote:

Fun gun to shoot, would have been funner with ear protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #107
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Only Internet warriors would talk so bravely about taking another person's life, especially over a material object like a car. I'd love to know how may of you are also claim to be "Christians"?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #108
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
No...an armed society is a safe society due to this situation: if guns were illegal then only criminals would be able to get their hands on weapons and law abiding citizens wouldn't.
an educated society is far safer then an armed society ful of idiots.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #109
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

if a guy stepped on my car, i would have floored it while he was on top of the vehicle.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #110
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
that was fucking nuts... video of the year!