BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

09-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
strubiedo
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, Alpine White

218yr old street in DC not in Navi system

If you have an '09 335i (E90) and have a few minutes, please try to call up S St. NW in the zip code 20009. I just got my car Friday and the street isn't in the system. Went to the dealer and tried looking for it (they only had an E92 on hand) and it wasn't in that system either.

Thanks in advance for taking the time!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Why waste the time and go to the dealer for a problem like this?
If it is not in our MY09 iDrive, then it is not gonna be in any BMW with OEM sat nav. We got the newest nav system to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
strubiedo
Rep

Thanks for your completely unhelpful response. Are you REALLY interested in why I went to the dealer or are you just an a**hole?

Obviously, I felt it was a glitch and thought the data might need to be reloaded. AND, I was already at the dealer beacuse a screw fell out of the dash over the iDrive screen and I don't have a Torx screwdriver.

But, thanks for being the first person to reply to my first post ever on this site and offer nothing but uncalled for criticism. You've been very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there but with a difficult and hard to predict name. I know streets around CT involving directions (ie North Main Street or South Main Street) the direction part of the name is seemingly random in how it's entered.

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there but with a difficult and hard to predict name. I know streets around CT involving directions (ie North Main Street or South Main Street) the direction part of the name is seemingly random in how it's entered.
Yeah the OP's street in question is a nightmare with our nav. I cringed just reading his post.

Try dialing in a cross street, then scrolling through the streets that come up as intersecting.... I have to do this when I'm trying to figure out how a particular street is entered.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
strubiedo
Rep

R St NW & T St NW are there. I literally scrolled through every street in NW DC. Did the intersection cross-check. Also scrolled though every street in NE (where S also exists) and then scrolled through EVERY street in DC. Think I got carpal tunnel instantly from that. Haha.

Anyway, LOVE my ride. This is just a minor annoyance. At least they listened to me, an whomever else complained about the positioning of the driver's side window controls and moved em back 2cm. Totally an improvement over my '07...which BMW just replaced for free cuz I was on my FIFTH high-pressure fuel pump in 2 years. Talk about customer service!

Thanks for chiming in guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Frasc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I find that a lot of streets in DC don't show up if you try to type them in all the way. I have to do searches for things near there or send it to the car from google maps and it comes up fine. The internal searching doesn't handle the DC quad system (NE, NW, SE, SW) very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
strubiedo
Rep

Thanks Frasc.

How do you send to the car? Wasn't aware we had that functionality. I have RTFM, but must have missed that. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
Why waste the time and go to the dealer for a problem like this?
If it is not in our MY09 iDrive, then it is not gonna be in any BMW with OEM sat nav. We got the newest nav system to date.
Most of the people on this board are very helpful, but there is always an exception.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
Most of the people on this board are very helpful, but there is always an exception.
I'm with you on that one!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't see that as being unhelpful... he was simply stating the facts. All of the '09s have the same system and the OP had already tried another car at the dealer. What is the point in having more and more people try this out?

This is similar to a pet peeve of mine when I am out to eat with friends... someone orders something that tastes terrible, they turn to me and say "ugh, this is horrible!! Here, try some."

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

I have the BMW Nuvi, not the iDrive - does the factory Nav have a 'Where Am I?' feature like the Nuvi? Try driving on the street and hit that. Or for that matter, see what shows up on the screen when you drive on S St. Another option would be to ask the Nav to take you to a point of interest (or whatever the factory Nav has) that you know is on that street.

Just a few random thoughts - good luck with it.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #13
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I don't see that as being unhelpful... he was simply stating the facts. All of the '09s have the same system and the OP had already tried another car at the dealer. What is the point in having more and more people try this out?

This is similar to a pet peeve of mine when I am out to eat with friends... someone orders something that tastes terrible, they turn to me and say "ugh, this is horrible!! Here, try some."
Hey, look, another a**hole.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
Eh, whaddya expect from a tool who's avatar looks to be a picture of himself wearing a Bluetooth earpiece?

EDIT: ...who owns a car that likely has BUILT-IN BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY!!!

Last edited by strubiedo; 09-03-2009 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: Cuz
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
I have the BMW Nuvi, not the iDrive - does the factory Nav have a 'Where Am I?' feature like the Nuvi? Try driving on the street and hit that. Or for that matter, see what shows up on the screen when you drive on S St. Another option would be to ask the Nav to take you to a point of interest (or whatever the factory Nav has) that you know is on that street.

Just a few random thoughts - good luck with it.

Have Fun,
Rick
Thanks, Rick. I appreciate your civility and kindness.

And, FYI, the street shows up on the map. Just not in the list of streets. Odd.

Last edited by strubiedo; 09-03-2009 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Additonal info
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #16
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:

You know what, the more I think about it, I shouldn't have called you an a**hole. Sorry.

I mean, who ever heard of one hard-drive based system (say, Windows for example) not working JUST like an identical system with the very same software.

Hmmm, wonder why they waste ALL that money on tech support when there's NO way that one person could experience something different from another.

On third thought, I was right the first time. Hey, look, another A**hole!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #17
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:

And one final thought regarding your incredibly ridiculous analogy...

It's actually more similar to this:

PERSON 1: "Hi, I'm a generally nice person looking for another generally nice person who might be kind enough to help out a fellow human in need of assistance."

PERSON 2: "F**k y**!"

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:36 AM   #18
strubiedo
Rep

One last thing, to the Moderator. I wouldn't blame ya if you bounced me from the site. All I did was look for some help from the community and the first response I get is anything but helpful. So, what do I have to lose by responding in-kind?

For what it's worth, I came here before bimmerfest.com

But, that's always an option.

Much respect to you and the other HELPFUL folks here.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #19
greatwrk9
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2007

Sorry to hear that, This did't happen to me, but i understand how u are feeling. Any way take care.
      09-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwrk9 View Post
Sorry to hear that, This did't happen to me, but i understand how u are feeling. Any way take care.
Thanks man! Welcome to the site. Looks like we're both noobs!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by strubiedo View Post
Eh, whaddya expect from a tool who's avatar looks to be a picture of himself wearing a Bluetooth earpiece?

EDIT: ...who owns a car that likely has BUILT-IN BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY!!!
dude chill out, you're not going to get any help by calling everybody a**holes, the guy made a pretty reasonable statement. BTW that's not him in that avatar, google "Meet the Beckers"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
strubiedo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
dude chill out, you're not going to get any help by calling everybody a**holes, the guy made a pretty reasonable statement. BTW that's not him in that avatar, google "Meet the Beckers"
A. I didn't get any help from him from my completely unprovokative very first post ever on this site. What a welcome. So, I see nothing at all wrong with calling him out for what he is...and other reasoned individuals in this thread agree.

B. How is asking me why I would go to the dealer for that (insinuating that I'm an idiot) reasonable in any way, shape or form?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread