BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Review: AA Signature exhaust (anotherone, I know)

I did not plan to write anything about the AA Signature exhaust at first. I read several prior reviews and I was somewhat concerned about the loudness of this exhaust.
I wanted something very quite, not to draw too much attention especially not in the hospital garage.
So here is my opinion, keep in mind that I have AA ECU tuning which may quite down the exhaust a little bit.

First of all, it was a very pleasant experience to deal with AA. This was not the first time, I had their ECU upgrade, but again, they are very quick, very helpful, ready to work out some deal with you. I think the general opinion is very high about AA, and my experience is very very positive with them. (I personally dealt with Omar about the exhaust)

Installation: Very easy to do if you follow their online DIY guide. (I am not a car mechanic by the way) Everything lined up precisely and I did not experience any asymmetry. (Pics will follow)

Sound: Well I was concerned; I actually wanted to start the car on the jackstands if I need to reinstall the stock exhaust. When I started the car I was really surprised. My immediate thought was like; whoa this is not loud at all. Maybe I installed something wrong, because it's so quite. Then I drove it for about 1h. Asked my Dad to drive it and I listened to it from outside. I could barely hear the car aproaching from over half a mile.
The AA Signature exhaust is NOT loud at all. Someone said it would set off car alarms in a parking garage. That's just not true. I tried several times in the hospital with near WOT in 1 and 2 gear no alarm. It is true that the exhaust is somewhat more vocal at low rpm's and has a somewhat booming sound around 1700-2100rpm but I would not call it a drone. Again even at these rpm's it is not loud. I understand that loudness is entirely subjective but the AA exhaust is really not much louder than stock. I agree it's even less loud around 3000rpm. In the high rpm range (above 6000) its louder than stock but with a way better tone.
Overall my fears were unfounded and I am very happy with the AA exhaust. Again I have the ECU tuning which may makes it less loud.

Power gain: Well, power gain is not that obvious than with the AA ECU upgrade, which you can feel easily. I even felt the rpi scoops and MS filter. I think the exhaust gives you some power in the high rpm range which I could barely test on public road. Unfortunately I put it on right after my Friday track session, so it's track test will be on the next Friday. I am really looking forward to experience some high rpm powergain.

So, overall, I cannot recommend this exhaust enough to anyone who is looking for something barely louder than stock with a way better tone.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Great review, I've had a lot of good feedback about their systems which is expected. Any plans to post photos or videos?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I don't know if it's the ECU tune, by I've also set off alarms starting my car in garages.

Loudness is subjective I guess, but at one of our meets, my AA was the loudest between a Borla and ArQray exhaust.
      08-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

My AA is very loud. And i seems to be getting louder over time. It can easily set off car alarms in parking garages. The fast you go (i.e. WOT) it is quiet. So if you want to try to set off car alarms in a garage, don't be going WOT! Go at a very slow speed in 1st or 2nd (less than 20 mph) and the exhaust rumbles.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
My AA is very loud. And i seems to be getting louder over time. It can easily set off car alarms in parking garages. The fast you go (i.e. WOT) it is quiet. So if you want to try to set off car alarms in a garage, don't be going WOT! Go at a very slow speed in 1st or 2nd (less than 20 mph) and the exhaust rumbles.
I thought it was my imagination, but mine seems to be getting louder also. It's really loud when you first start it up cold due to the emission warm up phase the engine goes through for the first 30 or 45 seconds. Stuff actually rattles in the cabin. It obviously smooths out a little when the engine smooths out after that warm up period, but still it's a little louder than I would like up to 2k rpm. My neighbors would probably agree when I'm leaving at 5am.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Ditto the follow ups. Neighbor across the street has a Maserati GT with the exhaust cutout feature. I'm at least as loud as he is in "Sport". They both sound really good!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

It may have something to do with the AA ECU tuning but my AA is not that loud. I really tried in the hospital parking garage and will try today again. No alarm was set off. So I am happy, I did not want a loud exhaust. I should say my AA is not considerably louder than stock except the 1500-2000rpm range. I can use cell phone easily in the garage etc.
Will post pictures!
Appreciate 0