BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
Both of these cars occupy a special place in my heart, and every time I see either one, I'm in love. I've done a lot of homework on both cars, researched the respective numbers and figures, read up on several reviews, I even test drove an SRT8 Charger too, haven't gotten around to driving an E92 yet though. I'm just torn between them. I understand this is a BMW forum, but what do you guys think would be a better choice? I'm planning on using it as a daily driver, with VERY occasional track use. Not planning on modifying or tuning them much either, as of yet.
I've yet to see a Charger on track. It is just a barge, so I wouldn't plan on it.

If you have to have the Charger, at least get the Super Bee.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Just test drive the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Just test drive the M3.
That seems to be the best solution anyways, which I will proceed to do ASAP. Can't wait to experience the magic of the E92!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Wow, guess I just fell in love with the Dodge then, you guys seem to find like no redeeming feature vs the M3. I will test drive an M3, though, probably get one too. Better quality, ride, handling, more luxurious, etc. And it doesn't come with a tranny made from the toenail clippings of an old E-Class.... but you gotta admit, that HEMI has quite the appeal. I heard it once and I was hooked on it, lol.
E9x's V8 is heavenly... especially with the right exhaust or even an OEM exhaust Mod. I wouldn't even put these two cars in the same comparison chart. You'll see what we all mean when you test drive the M3... I don't think it compares to any American car in its class.

Anyway Post a follow up when you do test drive one. Bet you'll forget the charger even exists
      09-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post
E9x's V8 is heavenly... especially with the right exhaust or even an OEM exhaust Mod. I wouldn't even put these two cars in the same comparison chart. You'll see what we all mean when you test drive the M3... I don't think it compares to any American car in its class.

Anyway Post a follow up when you do test drive one. Bet you'll forget the charger even exists
yeah, this v8 is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Both of these cars occupy a special place in my heart, and every time I see either one, I'm in love. I've done a lot of homework on both cars, researched the respective numbers and figures, read up on several reviews, I even test drove an SRT8 Charger too, haven't gotten around to driving an E92 yet though. I'm just torn between them. I understand this is a BMW forum, but what do you guys think would be a better choice? I'm planning on using it as a daily driver, with VERY occasional track use. Not planning on modifying or tuning them much either, as of yet.
Umm, forgive me for the obvious but whats wrong with your current M3? If nothing is wrong, there is no need to go in debt. Is it a need or want?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
That seems to be the best solution anyways, which I will proceed to do ASAP. Can't wait to experience the magic of the E92!
Be careful as the M3 has very lackluster acceleration down low in the RPM band and you need to beat on it (rev it to redline) to make adequate power. If you floor it at 3,000 RPM don't expect the M3 to be able to out-accelerate even a min van. I find myself downshifting a lot to pass, etc. The motor is magic from 6,500 to 8,400 and it needs to be in this range if you want to go fast.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619
Umm, forgive me for the obvious but whats wrong with your current M3? If nothing is wrong, there is no need to go in debt. Is it a need or want?

Not to worry I've got the means to acquire an E92/SRT8. And my current M3 is 15yrs old, has 250,000 miles on it, no AC, no radio, windows don't work, etc. So I'm going to strip her out and she'll be my track car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #31
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Be careful as the M3 has very lackluster acceleration down low in the RPM band and you need to beat on it (rev it to redline) to make adequate power. If you floor it at 3,000 RPM don't expect the M3 to be able to out-accelerate even a min van. I find myself downshifting a lot to pass, etc. The motor is magic from 6,500 to 8,400 and it needs to be in this range if you want to go fast.
^ This.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #32
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

The charger is a piece of shit, no offense op.
Now I can understand wanting a challenger, because even though its not a sports car, it has history and its a classic shape.
Performance wise please dont downgrade the m3 by comparing it to a charger...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Since you had to come on here to ask,

I am going to save you any further thoughts and tell you, Just get the charger.
      03-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #34
SRT8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Dodge Charger SRT8

Dodge Charger

I took my 2012 SRT8 to Surrey, England when I moved there in 2013. AMG, M3, Aston Martins, S4 are all surprisingly quite common cars. Having one of only 3 Dodge Chargers SRT8's in all of the UK I certainly get noticed and in a good way (even when parked next to much more expensive motors). This side of the pond, it's a Charger SRT8 by an absolute mile. In the US I would have no doubt either. I'd just buy the 2014 Dodge Charger 720hp Hell Cat (it's the fastest production sedan in the world). Sorry guys, I have had and loved many BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #35
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Why am I imagining the UK version of meathead Rob Lowe?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #36
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
If the other car was a Stang 350 or the 350r, we'd have a "ballgame", but the Charger/Challenger is not even close to being an E92M3 alternative in my book.
      03-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #37
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Wow...just reread. Charger?? I assume you meant Challenger.
I thought FORD GT lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I'd go for a new Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #39
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post

This is hilarious! I regularly get lit up by priuses and fully loaded minivans at stoplights!

I enjoy airing out the engine and hearing the roar like everyone else, but I can't afford another ticket for a while. I don't wanna attract attention from the heat, so I take it easy for now.
      04-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #40
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
These are very comparable cars imo. This is a BMW forum so obviously everyone is going to hate on the charger.

The SRT8 chargers are actually pretty good. Just as fast as the M3 in a straight line.. Not so much on a track because it's so much bigger.
It has about 50 more hp stick with the 392 and looks very good for an American car.

The interior is not really up to par with the m3 obviously but it's lightyears ahead of Ford and Chevys interiors

2015 Charger and Challenger interiors are MUCH better.. On par with euro cars forsure .

I wouldnt get the Charger over the 2 door M3 but Id get it over the 4 door E90 all day long.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #41
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Comparable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
These are very comparable cars imo. This is a BMW forum so obviously everyone is going to hate on the charger.

The SRT8 chargers are actually pretty good. Just as fast as the M3 in a straight line.. Not so much on a track because it's so much bigger.
It has about 50 more hp stick with the 392 and looks very good for an American car.

The interior is not really up to par with the m3 obviously but it's lightyears ahead of Ford and Chevys interiors

2015 Charger and Challenger interiors are MUCH better.. On par with euro cars forsure .

I wouldnt get the Charger over the 2 door M3 but Id get it over the 4 door E90 all day long.
How are they comparable besides straight line performance?

Lets start with weight, suspension and differential.. tell us about the weight, suspension and differential on the Charger?
      04-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #42
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV1 View Post
How are they comparable besides straight line performance?

Lets start with weight, suspension and differential.. tell us about the weight, suspension and differential on the Charger?
The charger is only about 600 pounds heavier. That's not much considering how much bigger and roomy it is.

The have virtually identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times both front engine RWD v8s = comparable cars.

Keep in mind the charger is about 25k less brand new fully loaded

Obviously there are closer cars to compare but they are pretty comparable to a average enthusiast

I don't know much about the suspension or diff... I don't actually have one but I have drivin them. They dont handle as good as the M3 but they are definitely not bad cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #43
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
The charger is only about 600 pounds heavier. That's not much considering how much bigger and roomy it is.

The have virtually identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times both front engine RWD v8s = comparable cars.

Keep in mind the charger is about 25k less brand new fully loaded

Obviously there are closer cars to compare but they are pretty comparable to a average enthusiast

I don't know much about the suspension or diff... I don't actually have one but I have drivin them. They dont handle as good as the M3 but they are definitely not bad cars.
600lb is a humongous amount of weight in the sports car world. Why would it make any difference? On a race track it will take its toll on brakes and tires very quickly among other things. I'm not saying there aren't 4000lb pound cars that shred on the race track like the GTR but Charger or Challenger aren't even in same ballpark completely different targets for manufacturers.

Acceleration is good on v8 Charger and Challenger. No doubt about it.

And you bring up a good point about the price difference. If you were to do a
Item by item comparison between the two cars for instance:

Engine vs engine
Transmission vs transmission
Chassis vs Chassis
Suspension comps vs suspension comps
Exterior materials vs Exterior materials
Interior material vs Interior materials

You would quickly find the difference even on paper. Then when you drive it all makes sense. IMO the M3 is a bargain For what the finished product is.

I'm not saying the Charger or Challenger are bad cars but it's not a good comparison to M3. The M3 is considered one of the Best cars of its era for a reason. And some say best all around car ever made.
      04-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #44
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV1 View Post
600lb is a humongous amount of weight in the sports car world. Why would it make any difference? On a race track it will take its toll on brakes and tires very quickly among other things. I'm not saying there aren't 4000lb pound cars that shred on the race track like the GTR but Charger or Challenger aren't even in same ballpark completely different targets for manufacturers.

Acceleration is good on v8 Charger and Challenger. No doubt about it.

And you bring up a good point about the price difference. If you were to do a
Item by item comparison between the two cars for instance:

Engine vs engine
Transmission vs transmission
Chassis vs Chassis
Suspension comps vs suspension comps
Exterior materials vs Exterior materials
Interior material vs Interior materials

You would quickly find the difference even on paper. Then when you drive it all makes sense. IMO the M3 is a bargain For what the finished product is.

I'm not saying the Charger or Challenger are bad cars but it's not a good comparison to M3. The M3 is considered one of the Best cars of its era for a reason. And some say best all around car ever made.
Agreed. Everyone on here was just calling the charger a piece of shit and it is NOT. It is a awesome car for what it is.

Im not trying to say the M3 isnt better.. I absolutely love mine
Appreciate 0