BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Spare tire solution for aftermarket rims

About a week ago I had a blowout which left me stranded because the tire was too messed up for the mobility kit to work.

Luckily I was in the city so it didn't take long for a flatbed to arrive and there was a BMW dealership nearby.

The problem is that:

A) my bumper got scratched coming off the the truck because it's lowered - could have been avoided if I had a spare

B) the tire I needed was on backorder, so my car was down for a full week - same

C) if my rim had been seriously damaged it would have taken up to 3 months to get a replacement from Japan - same

If this had happened far from home I would have really been screwed.

The most obvious solution is to start carrying a spare. But that in itself can be a problem: If you lose a rear, your spare must be the same overall diameter as your remaining tire, otherwise you risk burning out your limited slip diff.

The way I see it there are a few choices:

1. Find a mini space that is the same diameter as the rears

2. Buy a fifth aftermarket rim and tire, make sure it can fit either the front or the rear and is the same overall diameter as the rears

3. Keep your stock rims and tires (or buy a full set if you've sold them) and keep them on standby

4. Hire someone with a van full of spare parts follow you everywhere, like a Tour de France team

I'm looking at option #2 for now. I'll probably pick up an 18 or 19 inch VMR rim and find a cheap tire, if I can find one that is very close in diameter to my rears
      12-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think #2 is good choice too.

Like you said, make sure to keep similar OD as rears or you will end up damaging the LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
I think #2 is good choice too.

Like you said, make sure to keep similar OD as rears or you will end up damaging the LSD.
You can damage your LSD but not in the distance usually needed to get home or to a shop. (Unless you dropped LSD for that matter...then it would take a lot longer to get home)

This will work for you:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...spare+solution
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

I like option 4! but I'm goign with option 3 at the moment