BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

04-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #23
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Hi guys,

My intent was to solicit the members of this board for their honest opinion in what they think my car is worth. I did have some good responses and suggestions and some asked about pictures which I've recently posted.

This is not a "for sale" thread, but I will post one soon with a price of $40K with the SC and $37K without it. However, I will not sell the SC for $3K if anyone wonders.

Thanks,
Jim
Your car wont sell for 40K at this mileage. You need to lower couple of grand to grap attention. There are plenty of SC M3 in first page check how much they go for. If you want to get the most value of the sale, you need to part it out and sell it stock

My 0.02 cents
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 01:27 AM   #24
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
I just bought a 2008 AW/black/6MT with 39,000 miles and impeccably maintained for $35,000. I was not considering FI cars for the reasons listed above. FWIW.
Thanks, I think there is a misconception that forced induction is going to cause problems. That is not the reality at all. Not following the proper warm up procedures and revving at high RPMs very often is the killer but that is the case with or without a SC. I have had zero issues with the SC or the motor and the evidence can be seen with my old rod bearings that had minimal and below normal wear. See pictures here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215647

If you maintain and drive the car properly, it will last you for a very long time, again with or without the SC. We have seen the majority of the motor failures here with cars that have no SC and we have seen that rod bearings replacements in non SC motors were necessary and had actually saved a few motors. A VT550 SC adds a maximum of 5.5 psi of boost at redline, much less around 6-7K RPM and much less at altitude. So the VT550 is a driver's SC meaning no track, no airstrip events, etc. It provides you with plenty of excitement while keeping the motor safe. I have also upgraded the injectors to the "blue" type so a lean condition will never be an issue. I drive the M3 as a DD (except when the weather is bad) and the SC adds to my driving pleasure immensely. I don't track the car and I rarely redline it but I enjoy the added HP every time I drive it to work (the airport that is), take a trip to the mountains or visiting my daughter who lives 80 miles away. However, I'm very OCD about maintenance, I know my motor's strengths and weaknesses so I drive it accordingly, keeping the engine and myself happy.
I hear you and totally understand your point. SC just adds the perception that the car was driven hard/er than it would have been without the SC. Like I said, most people buying these cars have no first hand experience with supercharged s65 longevity, myself included, and making a large financial purchase based on what others have experience with them for however long a period of time, is not worth the premium/risk.

This compared to a run of the mill NA s65 with lots of miles on it that "most" e9x m3 owners can relate to. Fwiw.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

IMO owners with superchargers are better off parting out the supercharger parts. Very few will pay much of a premium to have it and you will reduce the number of potential buyers. This is regardless of how well you've taken care of the car and how you've driven it..

On the other hand, the tan leather while a negative IMO makes it a rarer car when coupled with the blue. So *if* you can find someone who wants this exact combo then they may be willing to pay what you want (which IMO is a bit high). But you have to know that the potential buyers list is therefore small and therefore the sale may take a long time unless you drop the price. So if you want to maximize your exposure then you'll need to do the legwork to reach as many people as possible. i.e. lots of forums, craigslist, autotrader, ebay etc etc

When I sold my 335i I ended up selling to an out of state specialty dealer simply because I wasn't willing to wait more than 6 weeks. I still got 4-5K more than carmax, but no doubt I got less than waiting for the person who would really want that specific combination. Also bear in mind that seeing other people's list prices on the forums can make you think that those cars will sell for that price - in reality some of those cars won't sell, or the sale price might be negotiated down.

Last edited by stren; 04-27-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #26
greenflash
United_States
Rep
Drives: hunting

may i ask who did the rod bearing work for you and how much they charged?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #27
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash
may i ask who did the rod bearing work for you and how much they charged?
Absolute Motor Works in Englewood. CO. It was around $1700 for VAC bearings with ARP bolts and new motor mounts
Appreciate 0