BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What's the least aggressive splitter?

Just wondering what my options are for a less aggressive splitter. I can't do a lip. It just gets crushed. I'm thinking OEM style, maybe an ebay one if someone has a decent one to recommend, or something else that's less aggressive?

Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
The least aggressive splitter, is no splitter at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
ScreaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

6K posts, asking about splitters

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaM View Post

Stop being such @$$holes and be productive...
OP, the least aggressive splitter would be the OEM CF performance splitters from BMW but they are more for looks than performance/downforce.

As for full front lips/splitters, anything without brake ducts will be somewhat less aggressive. Try checking out what Vorsteiner has to offer, or Challenge, Arkym, 3D Design, Hamann, or Revinora. Most companies have several variants from street setups to full on track lips with under trays

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Are you specifying a front lip or a splitter.........they have their differences. Common lips like vorsteiner, arkym, etc, are more for aesthetics and don't have as much aerodynamic grip benefits as true splitters do.

If you are looking for a true splitter, and not just a front lip, check out APR. They're flat and only a few mm thick, so you don't lose as much ground clearance and approach angle as a front lip. (depending on how large your splitter is)

If you are looking for a lower profile front lip, i's say check out the Revinora R-CRT street, 3D Design, or the OEM BMW performance pieces.....they are the lower profile lips and don't have as much overhang as others. (I'd stay away from Challenge because it is one of the lower profile lips and sticks out a bit further, Hamann hangs pretty low under the bumper as well) Hope this helps!
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

OEM is least aggressive. Also, if you believe BMW's press release at the time, the splitters and spoiler were aerodynamically tested (unlike most of the aftermarket stuff out there).

"BMW of North America has announced three BMW Performance aerodynamic accessories for the M3 Coupe, Sedan, and Convertible. The new rear deck lid spoiler[1], mirror caps, and front splitters are constructed of ultra-rigid carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) composite material, matching the standard CFRP roof panel of the M3 Coupe. Each component is shaped based on advanced research conducted in one of BMW’s Munich-based wind tunnels. This ensures compatibility with the overall aerodynamic “signature” of the M3, serving to reduce lift and minimize drag. Such characteristics are appropriate to enhance the vehicle’s high-speed stability while maintaining fuel efficiency."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

The OEM Performance splitters are definitely the least aggressive and easiest to drive around in. The Vorsteiner Aero Carbon Fiber Front Splitters are also another option:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys who were helpful.
I had an Arkym bumper, which looked cool to me but stuck out too far and would scrape on a couple driveways around work that I could not avoid.
If the OEM has some aero benefit, I may go that route. I saw an M3 with a pretty mild set of splitters but couldn't find them here when I did a search.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys who were helpful.
I had an Arkym bumper, which looked cool to me but stuck out too far and would scrape on a couple driveways around work that I could not avoid.
If the OEM has some aero benefit, I may go that route. I saw an M3 with a pretty mild set of splitters but couldn't find them here when I did a search.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

don't expect much aero benefit from any of these choices, it's looks only.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaM View Post

OP, the least aggressive splitter would be the OEM CF performance splitters from BMW but they are more for looks than performance/downforce.

As for full front lips/splitters, anything without brake ducts will be somewhat less aggressive. Try checking out what Vorsteiner has to offer, or Challenge, Arkym, 3D Design, Hamann, or Revinora. Most companies have several variants from street setups to full on track lips with under trays
Chillax. You're getting upset over an internet post. And besides, the Vorsteiner splitters are def. less aggressive than OEM splitters.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
ScreaM
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
I'm a slacker
Appreciate 0