BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Track Guys! HPA Quick Change Rear Spring Kit for E9x M3

Change rear spings seconds, without disconnecting the lower control arm or dampers and without performing another wheel alignment as long as the ride height remains the same.

This kit not only allows you to change your springs very quickly, it also allows you to adjust the ride height of the vehicle with the springs installed. YES! With the springs installed. No need to remove the springs! Most E82/9X none M or M coilover kits on the market today, you must unload the spring tension to adjust the rear ride height or use spanner wrenches, but not ours!

This kit will work with oem or aftermarket rear dampers.

What is in the kit:

HPA Rear Ride Height Adjusters(Hard anodized)
BMW Sealed Radial Thrust Bearings(used on the top of the main spring)
Swift Main(your choice of rates) and Helper springs(with couplers)
Swift Thrust Sheets(use at the lower portion of the spring, between the helper and the control arm)
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 09-06-2011 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Is there a way to use Swift springs on the front with OEM struts?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Is there a way to use Swift springs on the front with OEM struts?
We are currently working on a coilover conversion kit using Swift springs for the stock struts.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

huh, neat. what makes them quicker to change than other solutions? (just the ability to adjust the height adjustors with the thrust sheets/bearings?)

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
huh, neat. what makes them quicker to change than other solutions? (just the ability to adjust the height adjustors with the thrust sheets/bearings?)
You can change the rear springs in minutes without having to drop the lower camber links. This is especially useful at the track when dialing in the rear spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Very nice interested in learning more about stock suspension and swift coil system
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

KW should have used a longer main spring for more usable stroke and a shorter coupler.

The use of BMW radial thrust bearing allow the user to change the rear height with ease, without dropping the lower control are and without any tools.

Look at our quick rear spring change kit!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Very nice interested in learning more about stock suspension and swift coil system
PM us if you have any questions.

Swift springs can be used with AST, Ohlins, TCK or anything else you may have. We can even modify your KW V series with these nice Swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
I just recently purchased the extended rear spring height adjuster from HPA to replace the KW one upon install of my KW CS. It had allowed me to raise the rear of the car significantly heigher than the KW adjuster will allow, not only that it is also lighter too. The thrust sheets/bearings also help with making adjustments a bit smoother.

I would highly reccomend this product for people who want more adjustment when corner balancing the car and for Driving in general.
This may be deleted again by pro KW moderators...but here goes!

I was trying to show the not so ideal of the KW stack(if that is indeed how they should be). The KW main spring is has too short of a static height thus limiting the amount of usable stroke available. The helper isn't really doing much as it is fully compressed even with suspension at full droop. Perhaps they should just use a very tall spacer?

I will attemp to post another photo here with the more "correct" way to stack and the affective use of main and helpers. This particular stacking also allows you to change your rear springs quickly at home, shop or track should the need arise without dropping the lower camber link.

This setup also reduces some of the spring rate spiking plaguing this chassis.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

HPA E9x M Series Rear Ride Height Adjusters

This has been very popular on the E90post.com and 1addicts.com forums for adding addition height to existing rear coil over system using 60mm ID springs.

A pair of adjustable height rear spring platforms, designed to work with 60mm inner diameter coilover rear springs mounted in the stock spring location at the rear of a BMW E82 1M or E9x M3. These are high quality products made by HPA right here in the USA, with easy adjustments. The thread used is self locking once any load is applied.

The material for the rest of the assembly is made up of black and HPA blue anodized aircraft grade aluminum alloy. These can be adjusted from a minimum of 0.5" thick to a maximum of 2.75" thick. These can be adjusted independently of each other and is great for corner balancing of your BMW.

This particular model has been optimized to run at the top of the spring on the back of a BMW E8x/E9x. The locating stub fits in the factory location and replaces the bulky factory locating stub/hat, which inhibits ride height adjustment with other similar rear ride height adjusters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Looking out for the community - KW pertinent information inside

***First photo***I don't see the logic behind the taller than usual main and helper spring coupler. The use of shorter than usual main spring also reduces available stroke/travel for the springs. I hope there is enough stroke/travel in this setup. If KW had weight savings in mind by using the shortest spring possible, there is tons of weight in the height adjusters to be taken away and still have enough structural strength and reliability.

The other thing that makes no sense is that the helper isn't really serving any purpose being fully compressed with the suspension at full droop. Why not just use a extra long spacer and remove the helper from this kit.

***Second and third photo***We have done our homework on this setup years ago and here you can see how we stack things up with our lightweight height adjusters and main springs with plenty of stroke/travel, low profile spring couplers, radial thrust bearing so you can corner weight the vehicle with weight on 4 tires, and allow the user to change the rear main springs in minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
***First photo***I don't see the logic behind the taller than usual main and helper spring coupler. The use of shorter than usual main spring also reduces available stroke/travel for the springs. I hope there is enough stroke/travel in this setup. If KW had weight savings in mind by using the shortest spring possible, there is tons of weight in the height adjusters to be taken away and still have enough structural strength and reliability.

The other thing that makes no sense is that the helper isn't really serving any purpose being fully compressed with the suspension at full droop. Why not just use a extra long spacer and remove the helper from this kit.

***Second and third photo***We have done our homework on this setup years ago and here you can see how we stack things up with our lightweight height adjusters and main springs with plenty of stroke/travel, low profile spring couplers, radial thrust bearing so you can corner weight the vehicle with weight on 4 tires, and allow the user to change the rear main springs in minutes.
I agree it appears the moderators are pro KW and a certain vendor believes it's "his way or no way" - a couple of months ago I purchased KW camber plates, after being convinced they were "better", only to find out it didn't fit properly on the dampers I'm using even though it was guaranteed to fit. The best part, even after explaining what was causing the problem, and addressing it, I got a picture back from him saying the issue was still due to installation error . All along I was blamed for improper installation. Sad.

I'm just going to throw the KW camber plates in the trash. BTW, the AST or TCK setups we've traded PMs on are for a different e92 M3.

All you can do is try to educate people but it doesn't always work.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post

I'm just going to throw the KW camber plates in the trash. BTW, the AST or TCK setups we've traded PMs on are for a different e92 M3.
If you have any questions on AST or TCK, please feel free to contact me by PM, email or phone.

We have sold, installed, tested and tracked both setups and know them very well.

Harold
Appreciate 0