BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #67
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

I fully agree with you M3Pilot09.. Im so baffled that BMW not the dealerships. Actual BMW is telling the dealership techs to tear down the bottom end so far to loosen the main cap bolts but not to even remove and check the bearings to make sure there is not scoring or hot spots from improper assembly or malfunction of the parts?.. I have built motors and fabricated turbo kits for Honda's, Evo's, rotory powered rx-7's, subaru's. I have learned how to build a motor from the bottom up, This seems to go against a lot of what i feel is correct and i really don't see how this could fix the problem. I hope to talk to my techs monday and see if they will or will allow me to pull them to check, I see no harm in removing one at a time and checking at least the one side... I will let you guys know if i get to check them or not....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #68
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

M3 Clicking Noise

Take it in for service my friend. Let them know about our results.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #69
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
im hearing the same ticking noise too,what should i tell the dealer? my car only has 3k miles and i also hear and feel a really weird noise coming from the rear wheels when i turn

its like a dragging noise
I think there is another thread about the rear noise when turning... Gosh, it's one after another... I am sure I will be on that thread when I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #70
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
My Car is about a week behind..... They are just starting tear down.... Im not holding my breath.. What they are actually doing is loosening and retightening the main bolts...
Hey man, what build date is your '09? I asked because the new bearings were installed on 10/08, affecting only early '09s. Never heard of a car after that date having issues until a bunch of '11s showed up recently. Hopefully yours is a potentially affected car, so other '09 owners don't start having nightmares .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #71
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey man, what build date is your '09? I asked because the new bearings were installed on 10/08, affecting only early '09s. Never heard of a car after that date having issues until a bunch of '11s showed up recently. Hopefully yours is a potentially affected car, so other '09 owners don't start having nightmares .
Im not sure of the build date the car is in the shop and i never checked before..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #72
tomob63
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Just took delivery of a 2011 M3 and read this read. I can't say I hear a ticking when it's quiet, but under any degree of load I hear more of a knocking. Was guessing the valve train or injectors were loud on these cars, but more reminds me of Road Warrior's Falcon XB 351 mechanical lifters. Cool sound, but didn't expect it on the M3. Well, if I blow it up, I guess its' under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #73
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

also is it normal for that noise to still continue after the car is turned off? i always hear clicking noises from my mufflers after i get out my car and shut off the engine
      10-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #74
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
also is it normal for that noise to still continue after the car is turned off? i always hear clicking noises from my mufflers after i get out my car and shut off the engine
That is just the hot exhaust components contracting as they cool.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #75
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
So just to recap, no confirmed bearing issues past the '08/early '09 yet, just mystery erratic ticking that's not loud, rythmic, and obvious like previous confirmed bearing issues? I'm interested in this because I'm wondering if there really is a problem, or if its just "car hypochondriac" so to speak. I too think that main bearings would be obvious, and it sounds like the noises being described are subtle to the point that people aren't even thinking there's a problem until they read this thread.

Last edited by sor; 10-17-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #76
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomob63 View Post
Just took delivery of a 2011 M3 and read this read. I can't say I hear a ticking when it's quiet, but under any degree of load I hear more of a knocking. Was guessing the valve train or injectors were loud on these cars, but more reminds me of Road Warrior's Falcon XB 351 mechanical lifters. Cool sound, but didn't expect it on the M3. Well, if I blow it up, I guess its' under warranty.
Wait until after you have your 1200 mile service.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #77
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
So just to recap, no confirmed bearing issues past the '08/early '09 yet, just mystery erratic ticking that's not loud, rythmic, and obvious like previous confirmed bearing issues? I'm interested in this because I'm wondering if there really is a problem, or if its just "car hypochondriac" so to speak. I too think that main bearings would be obvious, and it sounds like the noises being described are subtle to the point that people aren't even thinking there's a problem until they read this thread.
Nope. The noise is not rythmic. This is not the average "car hypochondriac" noise. If you listen to the videos, you can clearly hear the sound although not as good as in person. I pulled into a drive thru the other day and the guy taking my payment made a strange face. I asked him if he heard the ticking noise, he said "yeah, right away.......like something was wrong with the way it idled". He has seen the car plenty of times before and this was new to him. As I stated before, I had this sound last year and then it went away. It has come back around the same time as last year, which makes me think it might actually be related to the thermal expansion/contraction of different materials being sandwiched together.

At least I hope thats all there is.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #78
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
As stated earlier in this thread (and below), it's not rhythmic. I don't think this is a case of "car hypochondriac"... at least not about the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Nope. The noise is not rythmic. This is not the average "car hypochondriac" noise. If you listen to the videos, you can clearly hear the sound although not as good as in person. I pulled into a drive thru the other day and the guy taking my payment made a strange face. I asked him if he heard the ticking noise, he said "yeah, right away.......like something was wrong with the way it idled". He has seen the car plenty of times before and this was new to him. As I stated before, I had this sound last year and then it went away. It has come back around the same time as last year, which makes me think it might actually be related to the thermal expansion/contraction of different materials being sandwiched together.

At least I hope thats all there is.
Yes, I hope so as well, but I still want this fixed. It's one of those things that now I know about it, it annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #79
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:

READ THE THREAD!!!!!! BMW IS TELLING US ITS NOT NORMAL AND THAT IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MAIN BEARINGS.... SEEING AS THATS THERE FIRST DIAGNOSES.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #80
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
READ THE THREAD!!!!!! BMW IS TELLING US ITS NOT NORMAL AND THAT IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MAIN BEARINGS.... SEEING AS THATS THERE FIRST DIAGNOSES.
Sorry, I read the thread. Twice in fact, because clearly some are interpreting it as a thread full of main bearing issues, based on a previous problem with earlier models and some educated guesses by fellow forum members. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, because it didn't sound like any of the late model issues had been diagnosed as main bearings (yet). Actually just read a third time to be sure, and I don't really see anyone stating that BMW thought it was main bearings as a first diagnosis. Here's what I gather:

M3Pilot09 - plate tightened, seems to have fixed the problem (maybe? close listen reveals faint noise?)
farbarg - similar sound awhile back, went away on its own
Lodaka - waiting on a metal plate to be replaced, bolts to be torqued correctly.
saurabbhatia - hears the same thing, thinks it's a warm-up issue in his case
jdgamble - still diagnosing
NeoE46 - heard noise awhile back, went away on its own
NycE93M3 - notices noise too, not looked into yet, and also a different noise
MasterDank - noise too, possibly early model which has known issues, no update

Maybe hypochondria is the wrong term, didn't mean to downplay that there might be a problem, I just haven't heard yet that these posters have anything nearly as serious as a main bearing issue, and some of the posters clearly didn't even know they even had a problem until they read this thread and then listened for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #81
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Sorry, I read the thread. Twice in fact, because clearly some are interpreting it as a thread full of main bearing issues, based on a previous problem with earlier models and some educated guesses by fellow forum members. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, because it didn't sound like any of the late model issues had been diagnosed as main bearings (yet). Actually just read a third time to be sure, and I don't really see anyone stating that BMW thought it was main bearings as a first diagnosis. Here's what I gather:

M3Pilot09 - plate tightened, seems to have fixed the problem (maybe? close listen reveals faint noise?)
Lodaka - waiting on a metal plate to be replaced, bolts to be torqued correctly.

Maybe hypochondria is the wrong term, didn't mean to downplay that there might be a problem, I just haven't heard yet that these posters have anything nearly as serious as a main bearing issue, and some of the posters clearly didn't even know they even had a problem until they read this thread and then listened for it.
Good summary. To be very honest, I think alot of guys out there who have listened to their cars feel something is wrong because there is a certain kinda of noise. The S65 is not a quiet engine by any means.

Having said that, I will post a tips of how it sounds like. From here, you will have a guesstimate if you are affected by this main bearing saga. This was taken off a post by a forummer called "kouhii" who had an 09 and had main bearing failure.

Check to see if you have this.
-Car only ticks when engine is warm (170F or higher oil temp)
-Ticking frequency changes with engine speed
-You can hear it tick faster between 1.5k and 3k rpm
-You can hear it while in highest gear (6th or 7th) and driving at 25mph on a quiet road

If these are your symptoms check the main bearings.

Here's some videoes too. Last video is clearest in terms of how it should sound like. Yikes!

Hope this comes as some form of guidance to those who wants to cross check if they are having main bearing issues. Its hard to identify these noises if you hardly drive with your windows down. I am pretty sensitive on how my car should sound and feel. So to others, this might sound normal but its not.

Have a good day lads...

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 10-18-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #82
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You are right BMW has not said it is a main bearing issue, M3Pilot09 - plate tightened, seems to have fixed the problem (maybe? close listen reveals faint noise?)

The plate to be tightened is actually The main bolts holding the main caps on, the main caps house one half of the main bearing the other half being in the bottom of the block.. These main bearings hold the crankshaft in place, to spin up to 8,300 RPM... These main bolts are the parts that "Might" have been over torqued. My problem is they are not saying it is main bearing but...... How could they think this is ok to leave those bearings that have been in there well in my case 6,xxx miles and now will be loosened up a little making
the tolerances correct for a perfect new bearing.. But a bearing that has been worn and obviously should at least be looked at... A main bearing can tell you a lot,there could be hot spots scoring dis coloring.

the bearings should be replaced by any motor builders standards

sorry i yelled m just disappointed in BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #83
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

My car sounds exactly like the first video. The sound also only comes from the driver side wheel well. You won't hear anything if you listen from the engine compartment (other then normal noises associated with the valve train, etc.)

Last edited by NeoE46; 10-19-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #84
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
So I just went on a little drive and then did the 1000-2000 RPM test in the garage, and I hear a little ticking too. Not valve noise, because it's erratic. It almost sounds like the sound of exhaust cooling. My car has about 5300 miles on it (2011), but it drives like a champ... the engine seems to be getting stronger. I have a hard time believing this noise is anything serious. If a bearing was faulty, wouldn't there be other symptoms, like rough idle or loss of power or something?

God I wish I had never looked at this thread...
Me too lol.

I just got back fom my 1200 mile service and I had the window down when backing in my garage and heard it.

I dont think it has anything to do with main bearings, if I shut the A/C off it stops. Turn it back on it starts, every time.

So it could be a few things, a/c condensate falling on the exhaust, or something making a noise with a slight load on the engine. But without a doubt if I shut the climate control off it stops on mine. Since we dont have an oil pressure gauge I have no idea what the oil pressure is, besides a lower end knock (and possible spinning/seizing of the bearings) the only noise that 'bad' bearings can do is reduce oil pressure enough to cause something in a hydraulic valvetrain to be noisy. Since this is in no way RPM related I doubt its in the valvetrain, could ve vanos related, especially if turning the a/c compressor on changes something.

Here is the vid of mine I took 20 minutes ago. It may have always made the noise since day one and I just didnt notice, but like many others I look around close after someone works on it to make sure nothing is falling off

I have 3.9 years and 48,700 miles of warranty so I'll worry about it down the road if its gets worse., I dont think its internal but I could be wrong. Kind of weird people are noticing this after the 1200 mile service on 2011s..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #85
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
Me too lol.

I just got back fom my 1200 mile service and I had the window down when backing in my garage and heard it.

I dont think it has anything to do with main bearings, if I shut the A/C off it stops. Turn it back on it starts, every time.

So it could be a few things, a/c condensate falling on the exhaust, or something making a noise with a slight load on the engine. But without a doubt if I shut the climate control off it stops on mine. Since we dont have an oil pressure gauge I have no idea what the oil pressure is, besides a lower end knock (and possible spinning/seizing of the bearings) the only noise that 'bad' bearings can do is reduce oil pressure enough to cause something in a hydraulic valvetrain to be noisy. Since this is in no way RPM related I doubt its in the valvetrain, could ve vanos related, especially if turning the a/c compressor on changes something.

Here is the vid of mine I took 20 minutes ago. It may have always made the noise since day one and I just didnt notice, but like many others I look around close after someone works on it to make sure nothing is falling off

I have 3.9 years and 48,700 miles of warranty so I'll worry about it down the road if its gets worse., I dont think its internal but I could be wrong. Kind of weird people are noticing this after the 1200 mile service on 2011s..
The climate control (AC) is just putting a load on the engine... You can also use your accelerator pedal to get the noise to be louder, definitely internal issue..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #86
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The climate control (AC) is just putting a load on the engine... You can also use your accelerator pedal to get the noise to be louder, definitely internal issue..
Giving it any throttle does not change the noise at all.

At 2000rpm it sounds exactly the same.

I'll put it in the air and take a look when I get a chance, honestly I'm not ready to declare the sky is falling just yet..

M3 Pilot's video sounds like something in the valvetrain, he doesnt raise the rpm but it certainly sounds like it. Mine doesnt change at all at rpm, but with the AC on it does it at 2000rpm and with it off it doesnt make any noise.

Could be two different noises, but its most definitely loudest at the LH front wheelwell.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #87
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
Giving it any throttle does not change the noise at all.

At 2000rpm it sounds exactly the same.

I'll put it in the air and take a look when I get a chance, honestly I'm not ready to declare the sky is falling just yet..

M3 Pilot's video sounds like something in the valvetrain, he doesnt raise the rpm but it certainly sounds like it. Mine doesnt change at all at rpm, but with the AC on it does it at 2000rpm and with it off it doesnt make any noise.

Could be two different noises, but its most definitely loudest at the LH front wheelwell.

Hi KJM3,

That's the noise I had. Seeing that you live in the colder area of the states the sound won't be as bad.

This noise will get louder as the temperature rises! When I had the problem I could hear the damn noise from 1 car length away on 90F+ days. Yeah it's that loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #88
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouhii View Post
Hi KJM3,

That's the noise I had. Seeing that you live in the colder area of the states the sound won't be as bad.

This noise will get louder as the temperature rises! When I had the problem I could hear the damn noise from 1 car length away on 90F+ days. Yeah it's that loud.
When I bought the car it was 90 degrees every day for a week and I never heard a noise. Its a lot of things here, but cool in the summer/fall it isnt It was 80 degrees today..

I just took it for a ride, did a couple 0-100 blasts, took it above 5500rpm for the first time, to 6500rpm at maybe 3/4 throttle. Drove it on some winding roads for about 20 miles, backed it in the garage and let it idle for 10 minutes. Except for some slight valvetrain noise which I expect not a click or tap AC on or off.

Like I said, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I have been around racing for over 30 years from Formula Atlantic cars to Blown Alcohol funny cars and have thrown my share of connecting rods out the side of 1000+ horsepower engines. I have done my own engine machine work and built complete 8-9 second streetable drag cars in my little garage along with restoring a bunch of classic imports. I dont see an issue with it right now, and if there is I'm not worried about it where I'm going to sit there and TRY to make it make noise. No doubt if my car sounded like the OPs I would e a little more concerned, especially if it changed with RPM.

I'm certainly not going to let BMW tear apart a brand new 70K car guessing what it is and I'm certainly not going to try to fix it myself, this is a daily driver and not a 'hobby' car, I have several of those already. If it blows up at 40,000 miles then they can put a new engine in it under warranty, if it turns out its a real issue on these and they come up with a legit fix then I'll let them give it a try. In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the car and have some fun with it..
Appreciate 0