BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

07-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

SoCal smog - obd ready but have some visual mods

Please PM me with any tips. My car is obd II ready but I don't have the carb stickers for some obvious items that will be an issue on the visual.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 competition

try Aloha smog in redondo. A+ mod friendly. as long as it passes the sniffer, normally ok. my STi with many many mods passed, just , but got it passed..

http://www.yelp.com/biz/aloha-smog-i...-redondo-beach
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post
try Aloha smog in redondo. A+ mod friendly. as long as it passes the sniffer, normally ok. my STi with many many mods passed, just , but got it passed..

I am about to to smog, and I believe they don't do sniffer anymore. Only plug it in.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
I am about to to smog, and I believe they don't do sniffer anymore. Only plug it in.
really, i never heard of that,, interesting. well sorry i cant help.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
W Cole
Major
Rep

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
So you'll be good as long as you pss the plug in.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
Quote:
So you'll be good as long as you pss the plug in.
Yup, from my understanding.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #8
Emm Tree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post

+1 This is the NEW law. However, smog places are slow to change over and some still insist on sniffing.

Call ahead. Confirm the place you have in mind just does the plug-in.

http://m.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
canny714
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

Garage List
any results on your smogging? did you pass?
      07-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Do you have a Cat delete? aftermarket software? If so... the software will disable the "emissions readiness" and cause the car to fail when plugged in.

I've read some people leave the cat delete and switch the readiness back on... and clear any CEL's 24 hours prior to smog and they pass that way... but YMMV if that is the case.

If your car sits really low... they might not look under to see if it looks like an OEM cat.

Also if there are no carb stickers on the visual it will fail... it's quick to swap in the OEM airbox so that you can pass the visual.

Lastly... try not to mention specific smog places on this thread to go to... you may have flagged them for a raid... if anything PM the OP with recommendations about where to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Do you have a Cat delete? aftermarket software? If so... the software will disable the "emissions readiness" and cause the car to fail when plugged in.

I've read some people leave the cat delete and switch the readiness back on... and clear any CEL's 24 hours prior to smog and they pass that way... but YMMV if that is the case.

If your car sits really low... they might not look under to see if it looks like an OEM cat.

Also if there are no carb stickers on the visual it will fail... it's quick to swap in the OEM airbox so that you can pass the visual.

Lastly... try not to mention specific smog places on this thread to go to... you may have flagged them for a raid... if anything PM the OP with recommendations about where to go.
I run an aftermarket x-pipe normally but I put on the stock x-pipe in order to pass the smog test. I am running aftermarket software but flashed a special emissions file which allows the cats and o2 sensors to read ready. All I/M monitors are now reading ready except for EVAP but CA lets you pass with the EVAP reading not ready.

I don't see how would be able to get cat or o2 readiness without cats.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

I run an aftermarket x-pipe normally but I put on the stock x-pipe in order to pass the smog test. I am running aftermarket software but flashed a special emissions file which allows the cats and o2 sensors to read ready. All I/M monitors are now reading ready except for EVAP but CA lets you pass with the EVAP reading not ready.

I don't see how would be able to get cat or o2 readiness without cats.
Some people are able to clear the codes and they stay off long enough to read ready... Like I said... Ymmv if that's the case
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #13
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some people are able to clear the codes and they stay off long enough to read ready... Like I said... Ymmv if that's the case
The cat won't read ready unless there's a cat. The check engine light will just come on.

You can fool the car to read ready with an O2 extender or something like the BMS down pipe fix which is basically a resistor that makes the car think it is receiving a "good" O2 reading.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
The cat won't read ready unless there's a cat. The check engine light will just come on.

You can fool the car to read ready with an O2 extender or something like the BMS down pipe fix which is basically a resistor that makes the car think it is receiving a "good" O2 reading.
My CEL stayed off for at least 24 hours or 150 ish miles (I can't remember the exact numbers) after I swapped to test pipes.

But hey... Maybe you're right... That's why I said ymmv.

One way to find out is to hook up an obd scanner and see if the readiness checks out.

I know in other cars such as VW's people are able to pass with downpipe a and big turbos running a stock boost level file with readiness enabled and cel's cleared the night before.

In my car I just paid off a tech to pass it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny714 View Post
any results on your smogging? did you pass?
Passed! ESS smog tune worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0