BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

We live and we learn man all that matters is that you are fine and well good luck and everyone think before they push it next time is it worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I see these little smart cars or cheap cars driving down the road and I think if something like that were to happen to them, they would be squished. I dont mind paying for a car as much as people pay for a house note because I know Im safe and its that peace of mind that makes me love BMW. Now if I was in your shoes and just totaled my 335, I might as well wish I was dead, because if the impact didnt kill me, my Mother would have!

Not sure what kinda of house you can buy for the cost of your 335??
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

great post

also glad ur ok

a car can be replaced but you and your new mentality cannot

gluck with your future cars!
      02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

all that matters is that your ok...the car an always be replaced..thats why we have insurance
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Glad to hear you walked away from this accident uninjured!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I'm glad you are OK. The car is replaceable and it is fortunate that you did not injure yourself of anyone else. I don't kinow what your driving or track experience is but that accident was clearly your fault and was due to driver error. Do not get the impression that I am playing "Holier than thou" because I am not. A number of years ago I destroyed a very nice car due to poor judgement and driver error. Fortunately I was not injured and neither was my passenger but since that day when I want to play race car driver I do it at the track.

Modern performance cars can give a false sense of security. The limits are very high and most drivers have never pushed them to the limits let alone over the limits (and you will never know what the limits are until you have exceded them). Obviously this is not something that should be done on public roads. There are a number of high perfromance driving schools available that will teach you vehicle dynamics, how to learn the limits of the car and what to do when those limits are exceeded. I see a lot of "It feels like it is cornerning on rails" in these forums. This can encourage you to take corners faster and faster and eventually the car is going to break traction. If you have never experienced this before and don't know what to do there is a good chance that you will loose control of the vehcle. Unfortunately many drivers only experience with a skid was the one just before the crash. It appears that you learned from your mistake and not make the same one again. Quite frankly I would rather be sharing the road with someone who learned from a mistake than someone who thinks he is invinceable.

Bottom line - nobody was injured.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-20-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

props for man'ing up to your fault, but thank god youre okay!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

DAMN man dont beat yourself up so much!!! Be happy your here and alive!!!! Lost a close friend in a M just a month ago. PLEASE EVERYBODY RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!! BE CAREFUL these cars are very dangerous!!

2015 F80 M3: JB4 and MPE

2022 G80 M3CX: At port
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Not sure what kinda of house you can buy for the cost of your 335??
Apartment I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

if you're gonna crash, crash in style !
E93, topless, taking down a power pole = win !!!

all joking aside, glad you're alive... i'm sure all of us have pulled stupid moves once in a while... sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesnt...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
DAMN man dont beat yourself up so much!!! Be happy your here and alive!!!! Lost a close friend in a M just a month ago. PLEASE EVERYBODY RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!! BE CAREFUL these cars are very dangerous!!
An M is actually a safe car and is not dangerous unless it is driven in a dangerous manner.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
ii'm sure all of us have pulled stupid moves once in a while... sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesnt...
The best way to avoid the consequences of stupid moves is to avoid making stupid moves.

CA

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #35
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

wow. Glad you're ok It must be BMW accident awareness 1st quarter or something. I just totalled my 2012 M3 last month on PCH. Your car, however, looks way worse than mine did. I too walked away without a scratch. Great engineering. I used to drive the canyon roads when i had my 335i.....then realized that one small mistake means "over the cliff" OR "into the mountain". Way too much risk to outweigh the benefits. I've even slowed my driving on highways. losing my life is one thing, but taking another's is a whole new ballgame I never want to play.

Glad you walked away and no one got hurt.
      02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #36
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Because race car.

Sorry, thought I'd lighten the mood a little. Glad you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'm glad you are OK. The car is replaceable and it is fortunate that you did not injure yourself of anyone else. I don't kinow what your driving or track experience is but that accident was clearly your fault and was due to driver error. Do not get the impression that I am playing "Holier than thou" because I am not. A number of years ago I destroyed a very nice car due to poor judgement and driver error. Fortunately I was not injured and neither was my passenger but since that day when I want to play race car driver I do it at the track.

Modern performance cars can give a false sense of security. The limits are very high and most drivers have never pushed them to the limits let alone over the limits (and you will never know what the limits are until you have exceded them). Obviously this is not something that should be done on public roads. There are a number of high perfromance driving schools available that will teach you vehicle dynamics, how to learn the limits of the car and what to do when those limits are exceeded. I see a lot of "It feels like it is cornerning on rails" in these forums. This can encourage you to take corners faster and faster and eventually the car is going to break traction. If you have never experienced this before and don't know what to do there is a good chance that you will loose control of the vehcle. Unfortunately many drivers only experience with a skid was the one just before the crash. It appears that you learned from your mistake and not make the same one again. Quite frankly I would rather be sharing the road with someone who learned from a mistake than someone who thinks he is invinceable.

Bottom line - nobody was injured.

CA
VERY well said
      02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #38
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
They say Rubber side down to motorcycle riders because they do wheelies. Not the right place to use the expression, buddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

glad your ok its just a car!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Ditto--glad you came out in one piece.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Good to see you're ok. Was DSC left on?
And who's paying for the pole?

And just join the BMWCCA and go to a few track events. It's the best value for newbs and intermediate drivers who want instruction on a track. Just don't get a vert since their insurance won't cover most convertibles.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

What's with all of the accident threads lately?

You're safe and the car did its job. I appreciate you laying it all out so publicly like this. Lesson learned, time to move on with what really counts:

WHAT'S THE NEW BMW GONNA BE???
      02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #43
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

There's not much else I can add to to this thread. I'm glad to hear that you are okay; it appears that you have reflected on this incident with humility and care, which we all appreciate. All of us have made stupid mistakes in the past - only the consequences separate us, not the actions that triggered them. So, while learning from this, don't be too harsh on yourself, and make sure you take all steps to ensure you are not in this situation again. Best of luck to you,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #44
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Glad your ok. As others have said, it's just a car. And good job on manning up to it. At one point or another, we've all done stupid things.

I'd say now is a good opportunity to start looking into doing track days and/or autocrossing Not only do they help to get the need for aggressive driving out of your system on an ongoing basis, but it helps you become a better drive with much better car control skills. And it's done in a safe and controlled environment, especially the autocrosses.
Appreciate 0