BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

11-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Fighting a ticket...Suggestions...

Hey guy, I decided to fight the ticket I received a few days ago...If you didn't see the post, here it is:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94912

I need some advice here. When I left this morning, I was watching my speed as I turned onto the road and the distance to where I could see the officer. For me to get up to the speed at which he clocked me, I'd have to floor the throttle almost to 90%! I know now that he definitely did clock the car behind me and gave me a ticket for it.

How do I fight this? What do I say to a judge? What type of evidence would I present? Should I take high-res pictures and upload them to my laptop and show the judge? Am I even allowed to do that? From the point where I turned, to where he was sitting, it's probably around 900ft. He clocked me at 47. I can easily see the location of his bike within 300ft of turning onto the road. This is absolute BS and I can't afford to just pay the price of the traffic school and be done with it....

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

A friend of mine fought a ticket similar to this before. He basically just gathered a lot of evidence. He went back to measure the distance and the time needed for the cops to actually clock you (throttle input like you've mentioned will also help). Also things like "at this speed he would have have to be this far to even have time to clock me". Just gather as much evidence as possible and give it to the judge. My friend did that and the judge looked at the officer and said "do you have anything to prove your case?" and dropped the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
A friend of mine fought a ticket similar to this before. He basically just gathered a lot of evidence. He went back to measure the distance and the time needed for the cops to actually clock you (throttle input like you've mentioned will also help). Also things like "at this speed he would have have to be this far to even have time to clock me". Just gather as much evidence as possible and give it to the judge. My friend did that and the judge looked at the officer and said "do you have anything to prove your case?" and dropped the ticket.
Thanks! I was hoping somebody here could help me out with this. I went into medicine so I didn't have to do math anymore.

I need to know, how long does it take my car to get to 47mph? I have time slips for my car from just last week. I ran the 1/4 mile (1320 ft) in 13.72 @ 104mph....(slow slips have a use!!!).

I know it's probably really easy but I just can't figure it out....

Also, how did your friend present the evidence? Can you have everything on your laptop and just show the pics on there? Or am I gonna have to print them out or something?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zameergill View Post
Hey guy, I decided to fight the ticket I received a few days ago...If you didn't see the post, here it is:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94912

I need some advice here. When I left this morning, I was watching my speed as I turned onto the road and the distance to where I could see the officer. For me to get up to the speed at which he clocked me, I'd have to floor the throttle almost to 90%! I know now that he definitely did clock the car behind me and gave me a ticket for it.

How do I fight this? What do I say to a judge? What type of evidence would I present? Should I take high-res pictures and upload them to my laptop and show the judge? Am I even allowed to do that? From the point where I turned, to where he was sitting, it's probably around 900ft. He clocked me at 47. I can easily see the location of his bike within 300ft of turning onto the road. This is absolute BS and I can't afford to just pay the price of the traffic school and be done with it....

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Are you kidding me... Traffic school is $120, thats all you pay (the fine and citation gets dismissed). You do realize if you plead not guilty and go to court you have to pay your fine before you go to court. Last I checked the ticket price all speeding tickets are over $120. Use your traffic school option its really not that bad, takes 1 saturday morning and you will be done before noon.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Are you kidding me... Traffic school is $120, thats all you pay (the fine and citation gets dismissed). You do realize if you plead not guilty and go to court you have to pay your fine before you go to court. Last I checked the ticket price all speeding tickets are over $120. Use your traffic school option its really not that bad, takes 1 saturday morning and you will be done before noon.

Thanx, I'll keep that in mind...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zameergill View Post
Thanx, I'll keep that in mind...
I have no doubt your innocent but you are not going to win this case especially with the defense you are trying out.

www.radardetector.net

Go here and go to the how to beat your ticket section and read a few posts and they have links to pages about questions to ask about radar. The only way you can beat this is to discredit the radar gun reading. Doing math about how fast your car does the 1/4 mile wont help you out at all. Unless he caught you doing 120mph. Chances are the cop didnt see you turn on the street from the place you said and he doesnt care. Its his word against yours and the judge will side with the cop 100% of the time.

Your best bet is to read the site below for radar defense and try it if you really want to beat a ticket. But the issue here is your citation is a civil ticket and the burden of proof is "preponderance of the evidence" meaning basically the cop can say he saw you speeding and thats enough.. I would save your court case for criminal ticket or something more extreme since they must then meet the "beyond a reasonable doubt". But if your really content on beating the ticket prepare your defense from the site below and be ready for court.. But its cheaper to go to driving school and your ticket is erased and never goes on record, you can do this twice a year in Arizona and I know a few people who go to court and ask for driving school despite taking it within 2 years and its granted. We have 2 lovely driving classes that the court can make you take the basic 4 hour one (you would have to do ) or the 8 hour one (court appointed).

http://www.trafficschoolcatalog.com/...6YourBasic.asp
Appreciate 0