BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

12-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #221
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

So is it 23 Nm or 28-30Nm? Can someone confirm the real torque spec number for spark plugs please?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #222
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

This is the tool that BMW specified to use to tighten plugs. I think another member posted a picture of a page on the tis also.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #223
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

If you would, please add me to the list, as well.

I sent you a PM with my request. However, I wanted to make to post here in case you're working the thread instead.

Thx much!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #224
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh! Also, forgot to ask: To those who have used the Amazon link posted earlier--the one where the company was sending out the wrong plugs--did everyone ultimately get taken care of and receive the right plugs? Anyone received the right plugs the first time? And, finally, anyone ordering more recently--what was your experience?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #225
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmethemuumuu
Oh! Also, forgot to ask: To those who have used the Amazon link posted earlier--the one where the company was sending out the wrong plugs--did everyone ultimately get taken care of and receive the right plugs? Anyone received the right plugs the first time? And, finally, anyone ordering more recently--what was your experience?

TIA
I would say stay away from the BC2 place...I ordered a second set direct from amazon just in case. They were $80 so still cheaper than anywhere else. But I really think bc2 was trying to pull a fast one...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #226
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStig View Post
Alright,

Thats it list is full. I will start a new list for any other interested people. I have done a slight redesign and plan on ordering some more Monday. I am heading out to a M Meet here in Houston tommorow and hope to generate enough interest to order another fifty.

Although I think theres enoug interest trickling through here to justify the 50as I will probably sell them all over time.

The next batch will be black satin anodized too
Nice color choice! i have 6k more miles before doing a spark plug change so this should be perfect[/QUOTE]
Just as an FYI.

One of the original buyers came through. You are last on the list so I apologize but you got bumped to first on the new list. Im ordering on Monday should take 2-3 weeks...but now you get one of the cool black anodized ones.

Cheers,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #227
OlegE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans E90 M3, 2009 335i

TxStig,

Can you please add me to your list? Am I going to make it onto the second batch?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #228
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK. So, after poring over Google, Yahoo! Shopping and Amazon search results, trying to find a deal on our NGK (4471) LKR8AP spark plugs, I may have finally found a worthwhile deal:

If you follow this link, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...R100-4471-3265, you'll find the plugs listed for $9.92 apiece. And, unlike many websites, [Priority Mail] shipping is a pretty tame $5.45 (to my location). Finally, for an additional discount (5%), type the following into the "How did you hear about us?" field: 116368589530852. With this discount applied, the shipped total for eight plugs is just $80.84

I haven't ever ordered from this site before. They seem legitimate. I've placed an order just now. I plan to post here once I've received the product to verify the overall experience is a positive one

BTW, one additional note: The mobile site seem to be kinda broken. I was unsuccessful completing the order until I switched to the classic/desktop site. Then, everything went through smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #229
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I wound ordering direct through Amazon. The prices fluctuate and I bought when they were $10.32 each. so $82.56 total, free shipping with Prime. If you have Prime I don't really see how you would order elsewhere unless the price was much lower and you had dealt with the seller before.
      12-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #230
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I've got Prime. However, when I've been looking the last couple of days, they've been $11.62 a plug.

Then, I got all excited about the B2C vendor link there, where the plugs were ~$8.50. However, the general consensus was that they were scamming and sending people the wrong plugs. So, I passed on them.

Ultimately, I saved about $15 going the route I did. We'll see whether it pays off I'm not too concerned about the vendor--just thought I'd let people know I didn't have any prior experience with 'em. I did do a quick search and found a very positive BBB entry. Worst case, I paid with the AmEx. They're good about backing the cardholder
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #231
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
This is the tool that BMW specified to use to tighten plugs. I think another member posted a picture of a page on the tis also.
Where can you buy this tool? I also asked getbmwparts.com but they cant seem to find it :/
      12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #232
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Payments owed for the final pieces.

1.)flip
2.)tooshay
3.)jjw2331
4.)Groundpilot
5.)tiato

Everybody on the above list made it. Flip has already sent money out so Tooshay, jjw2331, Groundpilot and Tiato if you could send out payment asap I will ship them out quickly.

6.)tmntmn

tmntmn - unfortunately one of the original buyers came through with the funds. You will be first one the list for the next batch however which I expect to have in my hands Mid January.

Thanks,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #233
e92zero
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Where can you buy this tool? I also asked getbmwparts.com but they cant seem to find it :/
That picture was taken from Turner Motorsports site a while back. I don't see it on their site anymore. Maybe you can check with them to see if they can still get it. I don't have the tool myself, I just use a regular torque wrench. The TIS spec is 23 Nm +/- 3 Nm so there is some good margin on it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #234
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That picture was taken from Turner Motorsports site a while back. I don't see it on their site anymore. Maybe you can check with them to see if they can still get it. I don't have the tool myself, I just use a regular torque wrench. The TIS spec is 23 Nm +/- 3 Nm so there is some good margin on it. Good luck.
When I did my plugs the plug in cylinder #1 on the passenger side in the front was a little loose. It defintiely was not as tight as it should of been and it had a little bit of oil blow by.

I tightened to 28N-m with my little torque wrench and that felt pretty good from a gudentight point of view.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #235
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Talking

Quote:
1.)flip
2.)tooshay
3.)jjw2331
4.)Groundpilot
5.)tiato

Everybody on the above list made it. Flip has already sent money out so Tooshay, jjw2331, Groundpilot and Tiato if you could send out payment asap I will ship them out quickly.

6.)tmntmn

tmntmn - unfortunately one of the original buyers came through with the funds. You will be first one the list for the next batch however which I expect to have in my hands Mid January.

Thanks,

TxStig
Payment sent. Thank you very much.
      12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #236
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Are these on amazon the same as the OEM BMW ones? http://www.amazon.com/NGK-LKR8AP-Mul...4471%29+LKR8AP

I know there are BMW branded plugs, any reason to use them other than posterity? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...ugs/ES2207843/
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #237
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Are these on amazon the same as the OEM BMW ones? http://www.amazon.com/NGK-LKR8AP-Mul...4471%29+LKR8AP

I know there are BMW branded plugs, any reason to use them other than posterity? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...ugs/ES2207843/
Yes indeed the LKR8AP are the correct part number NGK 4471 I believe.

I ended up getting a second set form Amazon direct after suffereing with B2C Autoparts...if its too good to be true right?

The P stands for platinum plugs. They must be platinum. The only difference between those and the stock BMW plugs is a little BMW roundel on them...although the ones I pulled when changing didnt even have those. They were exactly the same...

Thanks,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #238
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Alright everybody I just ordered 50 more pullers expected to hit my door January 1st or 2nd. This should be plenty to cover everybody I hope. SO there is no need for a list it will just be a paypal me the amount and I will ship it out.

Check back in a couple of weeks for pictures. The new batch will be black anodized and more ergomnic.

Thanks,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #239
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Turner Motorsports has our spark plugs for $14.95.
Very reputable vendor, i have ordered from them parts many times, never had 1 problem
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #240
e92zero
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When I did my plugs the plug in cylinder #1 on the passenger side in the front was a little loose. It defintiely was not as tight as it should of been and it had a little bit of oil blow by.

I tightened to 28N-m with my little torque wrench and that felt pretty good from a gudentight point of view.
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the heads up. When I changed mine (the stock one), they were nice and tight but that was the first time I changed the plugs on this engine so I don't really know or have a reference point to how tight they should be. Do you mind teaching me a bit on how to identify that it was not tight enough or blow by? I did notice the threads are a bit damp compare to the honda engines that I have changed plugs on before. I just thought the engine mixture ratio were different between the 2. Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #241
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the heads up. When I changed mine (the stock one), they were nice and tight but that was the first time I changed the plugs on this engine so I don't really know or have a reference point to how tight they should be. Do you mind teaching me a bit on how to identify that it was not tight enough or blow by? I did notice the threads are a bit damp compare to the honda engines that I have changed plugs on before. I just thought the engine mixture ratio were different between the 2. Thanks in advance for your help.
With plugs the correct tightness if doing it by hand is either 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn after hand tight that does depend on the configuration of the plugs.

This is not always the most effective way. I have in the past when working on Formula Mazda's witht eh rotary engine seen people go as far as turning the plugs hand tight then trying to align them a certain way for better flame path progression.

AS I said I did 28 N-m on mine and seem to remember reading somewhere that the tool for BMW was just an inital indicator to be used to tighten them and guarantee not going over with a torque wrench then set to 28N-m for the remainder.

I highly doubt knowing most techs even use a torque wrench however let alone a special tool.

A little oil on the threads is normal on these cars, however if there is any oil above the threads such as on the hex or on the ceramic/porcelain and if the plug didn't "untorque" then it may of been a little loose in the cylinder.

When I pulled one of mine out it came out prety easy and did exhibit a little bit of oil above where i would expect it to be. Its not really anythhing to worry about. The area of the plug is so small even at high compression cylinder pressures the chances of it stripping the threads are pretty slim...Also once the car is running and warm the expansion in the metal probably tightens around the plug preventing it from back out more. Although I did do my car right after driving home and again it was just looser than I would of liked. But yeah any oil above 3/4" of the thread from the bottom I would consider too high. This is also a method used when tuning my shifter kart. We can tell how rich or lean it is running by the height of the oil up the thread.

23N-m is probably fine...but 28N-m felt fine to me too, not like I was stripping threads or anything like that.

Cheers,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #242
e92zero
Captain
Rep

^Thanks for the detail explanation. My old plugs are good then based on what you said. I will see what they looks like in the next change and see if I need to up the torque on them. Can't wait to try the tool. Amazing piece and thanks again.

Last edited by e92zero; 12-19-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0