BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
well my main focus is keeping a eye on the rod bearings so iron/copper would be the big focus correct?
What year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #24
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Whats the effect on the engine of having a high TAN?
Or more specifically the effect of sulphuric acid on engine bearings?

The acids attack pretty much everything. Namely, it causes corrosion that cannot be "burnt off" later on. The areas most prone to it are the valve train and cams.

For reference, when I changed my TWS after 7754 miles, the TBN came back at 3.4 and TAN at 3.4. When TAN = TBN that means you've effectively got a "neutral" oil. The conclusion I can draw is that for my specific engine and driving style, TWS is good for about an 8k change interval.

A person who has more highway driving and/or a warmer climate might be able to go longer. The only way to tell is to get it analyzed and look at the TAN/TBN relationship. If the TAN > TBN, you probably should've changed it a bit sooner. If TAN < TBN, you can probably leave it in there longer. Getting TBN alone is not that useful.
      03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #25
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
What year is your car?
2008 sir
      03-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #26
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The acids attack pretty much everything. Namely, it causes corrosion that cannot be "burnt off" later on. The areas most prone to it are the valve train and cams.

For reference, when I changed my TWS after 7754 miles, the TBN came back at 3.4 and TAN at 3.4. When TAN = TBN that means you've effectively got a "neutral" oil. The conclusion I can draw is that for my specific engine and driving style, TWS is good for about an 8k change interval.

A person who has more highway driving and/or a warmer climate might be able to go longer. The only way to tell is to get it analyzed and look at the TAN/TBN relationship. If the TAN > TBN, you probably should've changed it a bit sooner. If TAN < TBN, you can probably leave it in there longer. Getting TBN alone is not that useful.
Brilliant...thanks for that. I guess that is something else I will have to read up on. I know BMW had trouble with high sulphur fuel with some Nikasil engines in the USA and that the LL-01 spec was related as well.
Appreciate 0