BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
MattE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

2012 M3 Builder on BMWUSA.com when?

does anyone know when you can build a 2012 M3 on bmwusa.com?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Sometime after Sept 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Here you go

M3
The M3 as of September production will bring a number of important changes that were incorporated from the feedback we received from our most enthusiastic customers.
New standard features:
M Drive: The M Button on the steering wheel can be programmed to set the drivers preferences for Stability Control, Steering mode, Shift light, EDC, and if the car has the M DCT the Drive logic mode can also be set.
Automatic/Start Stop: A feature developed from BMW’s EfficientDynamics strategy that will shut down the engine under certain conditions when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The benefit of this technology is reduced fuel consumption and the function can be switched on/off via a button located next to the Start/Stop button.
Manual M Sport Seats: On the M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan the manual M Sport Seats offer the same adjustments as the previous seats but operated manually which saves weight and expense for customers who do not require power seats. Lumber support and seatback side bolters remain electrically adjustable. Power Seats remain standard in the M3 Convertible.
New Mineral White Metallic paint is available on the M3 Coupe and Convertible.
New optional Bi-color Novillo Leather (non-extended) is available in black with red seating surfaces and soft door panel sections, or black with gray seating surfaces and soft door panel sections.
A new Premium Package 2 (ZP2) package is available, which has the same equipment as the prior Premium Package, but adds Power Front Seats for the M3 Coupe and Sedan.
An all-new Convenience Package (ZCV) is available that replaces the Technology Package. This includes:
Anti-theft Alarm
Comfort Access
Park Distance Control (rear)
Navigation system including Voice Command and Real Time Traffic
iPod and USB adaptor

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Here you go

M3
The M3 as of September production will bring a number of important changes that were incorporated from the feedback we received from our most enthusiastic customers.
New standard features:
M Drive: The M Button on the steering wheel can be programmed to set the drivers preferences for Stability Control, Steering mode, Shift light, EDC, and if the car has the M DCT the Drive logic mode can also be set.
Automatic/Start Stop: A feature developed from BMW’s EfficientDynamics strategy that will shut down the engine under certain conditions when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The benefit of this technology is reduced fuel consumption and the function can be switched on/off via a button located next to the Start/Stop button.
Manual M Sport Seats: On the M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan the manual M Sport Seats offer the same adjustments as the previous seats but operated manually which saves weight and expense for customers who do not require power seats. Lumber support and seatback side bolters remain electrically adjustable. Power Seats remain standard in the M3 Convertible.
New Mineral White Metallic paint is available on the M3 Coupe and Convertible.
New optional Bi-color Novillo Leather (non-extended) is available in black with red seating surfaces and soft door panel sections, or black with gray seating surfaces and soft door panel sections.
A new Premium Package 2 (ZP2) package is available, which has the same equipment as the prior Premium Package, but adds Power Front Seats for the M3 Coupe and Sedan.
An all-new Convenience Package (ZCV) is available that replaces the Technology Package. This includes:
Anti-theft Alarm
Comfort Access
Park Distance Control (rear)
Navigation system including Voice Command and Real Time Traffic
iPod and USB adaptor
Those are the MY2011 M3 "new" features.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
does anyone know when you can build a 2012 M3 on bmwusa.com?
From, experience, roughly 8 to 10 weeks later that what would make sense. So you've still got a little more time to wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
TxFeatFan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
2024 G83 M4  [10.00]
2017 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
From, experience, roughly 8 to 10 weeks later that what would make sense. So you've still got a little more time to wait.
I agree. Last year, it took several weeks - and it was a little "buggy," at first. I remember that Edmunds had a better build/pricing sheet than BMWUSA at first.

It may be November before the BMWUSA site works as needed.

—————————————————————————————————————
2024 Tanzanite Blue II M4 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
new "standard" features......

The OP is asking for the MY2012 M3 features in BMWUSA.com. The post above applies to the MY2011 M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
This question has already been posted several times already. The consensus so far seems to be sometime after Sept 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

As for the 2011 features, the announcement said that the auto start stop button would be next to the start stop button, but instead it ended up on the button panel with the seat heater and rear sunshade controls.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
As for the 2011 features, the announcement said that the auto start stop button would be next to the start stop button, but instead it ended up on the button panel with the seat heater and rear sunshade controls.
They had to fill up some of those empty buttons below the radio!

Seriously though, the newer cars with start/stop have it on the start button.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

I like the way the new button cluster looks, wish we got it. Although, I'm more crazy jealous of the HUD that'll be in the 2012 3 series (non-M).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

No we don't; the button on my 2011.75 M3 is in the cluster under the radio, which particularly annoys me because it's the ONLY BUTTON THERE!! On previous M3s unless you got the rear sunshade (or heated seats before those buttons were relocated to the climate control) they just left that as an entirely blank, clean panel. I really wish that button were next to the Start button.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
No we don't; the button on my 2011.75 M3 is in the cluster under the radio, which particularly annoys me because it's the ONLY BUTTON THERE!! On previous M3s unless you got the rear sunshade (or heated seats before those buttons were relocated to the climate control) they just left that as an entirely blank, clean panel. I really wish that button were next to the Start button.
Yes, you can guarantee the F30/F32 will be improved in this regards. I'll have the sunshade on mine, but I'll never understand why they moved the heated seats buttons.

Now, can someone tell me how to retrofit the front PDC, and whatever that Hill Assist button does that the Europeans get???
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can guarantee the F30/F32 will be improved in this regards. I'll have the sunshade on mine, but I'll never understand why they moved the heated seats buttons.

Now, can someone tell me how to retrofit the front PDC, and whatever that Hill Assist button does that the Europeans get???
I think they moved the heated seats buttons so that people who get just that option (as part of the Cold Weather Package, for example) don't end up with a six-button cluster just to support those 2 buttons. It also makes more sense up there with the rest of the climate controls IMHO.

Not sure about front PDC, but Hill Assist could refer to two things. One is Hill Start Assist, which the US gets as well. When you're stopped on a hill, it makes the car hold the brakes an extra 2 seconds after you let off the brake or until you get on the gas, whichever comes first. It's helpful for manual transmission drivers especially.

If you're talking about Hill Descent Control, that's available here as well but only on xDrive models, and it basically messes with the drivetrain so that your car maintains speed going down a hill without you having to play with gears or ride the brakes.

UPDATE: According to the manual HDC only works up to 15 mph -- psh!!

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 08-25-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Now, can someone tell me how to retrofit the front PDC
I will be posting from Front PDC retrofit write-up soon.
      08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If you're talking about Hill Descent Control, that's available here as well but only on xDrive models, and it basically messes with the drivetrain so that your car maintains speed going down a hill without you having to play with gears or ride the brakes.

UPDATE: According to the manual HDC only works up to 15 mph -- psh!!
Sounds like a feature that M3 owners would never get to experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
I will be posting from Front PDC retrofit write-up soon.

Definitely wanting to know more!! I assume you'll put this in the DIY section?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some vendors like EAS over here can do the retrofit. Need to get a euro bumper, sensors, the button panel, and a different PDC module.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

So the auto stop start button would allow you to permanently disable it (EU spec models)? Dang that would have been useful.

And Hill Assist ≠ Hill Decent. Hill assist is to stop you from rolling back on an incline if you have an MT.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Some vendors like EAS over here can do the retrofit. Need to get a euro bumper, sensors, the button panel, and a different PDC module.
If I was local to EAS or someone that could do it, I would definitely consider it. Plus, it would give me an excuse to spring for the Euro front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

We should see it sometime next week. Probably the first or second week of September when the 2012's go into production.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
So the auto stop start button would allow you to permanently disable it (EU spec models)? Dang that would have been useful.

And Hill Assist ≠ Hill Decent. Hill assist is to stop you from rolling back on an incline if you have an MT.
It can be turned off in any market; it just starts in a certain state each time and different markets have different startup states. Coding can fix that though so it always starts up in whatever state you were last using.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I was local to EAS or someone that could do it, I would definitely consider it. Plus, it would give me an excuse to spring for the Euro front bumper.
I was considering doing it, but what killed it for me is I found out that the front PDC sensors are too high to see those concrete parking curbs. I'm likely going to have a front camera installed instead to solve that issue.
Appreciate 0