BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
e92iy790
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw M3 Coupe ZCP

M drive

Hey guys.. My car is only a few months old and im loving the dct transmission so far especially with the m button on. I never used the m button in d mode yet but I was just wondering what its like and if the shifting is smoother then doing it yourself by using the paddles. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Drive the car and find out. I don't get threads like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92iy790 View Post
Hey guys.. My car is only a few months old and im loving the dct transmission so far especially with the m button on. I never used the m button in d mode yet but I was just wondering what its like and if the shifting is smoother then doing it yourself by using the paddles. Thanks
Have you ever been to the beach when you were under ten years of age? Do you remember the sand moving through your feet as you walked along the beach? If you were like me you liked to move at the boundary of the ebbing water and the sand. In those tenuous moments when the clinging sand would rinse out of the interspaces between toes as the coursing sea rose up into your feet you would feel what it is like to drive a E9X M3 in D mode. It is a wonderful experience.

This is a feeling that evokes an eloquence of existence that is adumbrated by the metaphysics of our human consciousness.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Have you ever been to the beach when you were under ten years of age? Do you remember the sand moving through your feet as you walked along the beach? If you were like me you liked to move at the boundary of the ebbing water and the sand. In those tenuous moments when the clinging sand would rinse out of the interspaces between toes as the coursing sea rose up into your feet you would feel what it is like to drive a E9X M3 in D mode. It is a wonderful experience.
I was gonna say that but with the mountains and a babbling brook.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I was gonna say that but with the mountains and a babbling brook.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92iy790
For the safety of you and the others around, and for the sake of your hard earned cash that has been spent on your car, please read your M3 supplementary manual very carefully to find out what M Drive is, what Drivelogic is, what M-Key settings is etc. An M3 with M Drive and DCT is not a car you can just jump in and be able to use every performance feature without some sort of prerequisite knowledge.

For example, did you even know that you can instantly drop to a low gear by depressing the throttle pedal kick down button and then pulling the downshift pedal on the steering wheel to accelerate quickly whilst in sequential mode? This saves you from wasting precious seconds whilst pulling the downshift pedal repeatedly to get to the lowest gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
For the safety of you and the others around, and for the sake of your hard earned cash that has been spent on your car, please read your M3 supplementary manual very carefully to find out what M Drive is, what Drivelogic is, what M-Key settings is etc. An M3 with M Drive and DCT is not a car you can just jump in and be able to use everything performance feature without some sort of prerequisite knowledge.

For example, did you even know that you can instantly drop to a low gear by depressing the throttle pedal kick down button and then pulling the downshift pedal on the steering wheel to accelerate quickly whilst in sequential mode? This saves you from wasting precious seconds whilst pulling the downshift pedal repeatedly to get to the lowest gear.
Wisdom
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

so guys, what'd you think about the 335 vs M3? i heard it's got more torque
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
e92iy790
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post

This is a feeling that evokes an eloquence of existence that is adumbrated by the metaphysics of our human consciousness.
Thanks for the response man. I haven't really pushed the car to it's full potential yet but I can't wait until I do
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
e92iy790
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For the safety of you and the others around, and for the sake of your hard earned cash that has been spent on your car, please read your M3 supplementary manual very carefully to find out what M Drive is, what Drivelogic is, what M-Key settings is etc. An M3 with M Drive and DCT is not a car you can just jump in and be able to use everything performance feature without some sort of prerequisite knowledge.

I know what your saying man and I'm not stupid enough to do that. I wouldn't spend 75k on a car if I didn't know it's potential. I just wanted to know people's opinions. Thanks for your response
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
so guys, what'd you think about the 335 vs M3? i heard it's got more torque
Too funny...gotta love these ones.
      04-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92iy790
Quote:

I know what your saying man and I'm not stupid enough to do that. I wouldn't spend 75k on a car if I didn't know it's potential. I just wanted to know people's opinions. Thanks for your response
There won't be any opinions because the question that you have asked does not make sense. Which is why myself and everyone else have suggested that you should read the manual.

M Drive and DCT D mode are not mutually exclusive. M Drive is not a special mode, it's just a "favourite settings" button. You can have D1 to D5 or S1 to S6 saved to your M Drive. Gearshift smoothness depends on your chosen Drivelogic setting and the point in the rev band at which the shift is made. It's got nothing to do with M Drive, but rather the settings you have chosen in your M Drive. Hell, you could have D1, which is ideal for snow and ice, programmed into M Drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

There's a d mode?
Appreciate 0