BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #23
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlefoxes View Post
Uh Hi guys, sorry to come in so late

I DO NOT have the alarm, copy DO NOT, and I get the chirp

Sorry if this throws off your theories

The alarm ISN'T an option, you have to ask them for it post-purchase, I opted not to have it. But i still have the chirp. I like the chirp
Ok, this contradicts everything I thought I knew about the audible confirmation of locking and unlocking. Can you provide any more details? Did the dealer do this for you?

I figured that the alarm (and siren) had to be installed in order to MAKE the chirp. Is the chirp noise generated by something that is already installed on all vehicles? I mainly want the alarm because I like hearing the noise to reassure me that the vehicle is locked / unlocked. If all it takes is paying $50 or so to the dealer to add that option in iDrive (ie, tell the car the alarm is installed even though it isn't ... and who knows if that might cause problems) then I'd be all for it.

Can anyone weigh in on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80Cx, 1988 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Did you have this done by a dealer? Just installing the alarm does not make it fully functional. The vehicle must be "coded" for the alarm by a dealer for full functionality. Expect to pay around 1 hour labor for this in addition to the installation.
Apparently some dealers are having problems getting the chirp option to work when activating the alarm. Just talked to my SA today--they can't get mine to work.

There's a parallel thread that discusses this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174837
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Audible confirmation signal when locking/unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Ok, this contradicts everything I thought I knew about the audible confirmation of locking and unlocking. Can you provide any more details? Did the dealer do this for you?

I figured that the alarm (and siren) had to be installed in order to MAKE the chirp. Is the chirp noise generated by something that is already installed on all vehicles? I mainly want the alarm because I like hearing the noise to reassure me that the vehicle is locked / unlocked. If all it takes is paying $50 or so to the dealer to add that option in iDrive (ie, tell the car the alarm is installed even though it isn't ... and who knows if that might cause problems) then I'd be all for it.

This confuses me, as well. Pp. 30-31 of the manual describes setting the confirmation signals, either flash and/or acoustic. However, the "7. Select the desired signal*." has an asterick, which refers to a footnote about optional equipment. I am almost certain that the alarm is what enables the chirp, and it is the alarm siren that produces it.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post

+1. I would like to have the chirp also and thought I needed the alarm as I too understood the manual, but that post just adds to the confusion.