BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

07-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Interior plastic trim pieces

Hello all,

I've noticed that some interior plastic trim pieces have a rubber-ish black coating that can start to peel/come off (ex: the piece where the windows switches are, or the the back of the passenger door pull handle. Anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to remedy this or prevent it from happening? It appears to happen from normal use/wear.

Does anyone know if I can replace these pieces independently or are they part of the door cards?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some parts are swap-able, like the window switches. The grab handle on the driver's door isn't. Rear grab bars should be replaceable, check penskeparts.com or realoem.com for diagrams.
      07-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Some parts are swap-able, like the window switches. The grab handle on the driver's door isn't. Rear grab bars should be replaceable, check penskeparts.com or realoem.com for diagrams.
Cool, thanks! How about the grab handle on the passenger side front door? Most of it is leather, but the inside part of it is basically a plastic cover of the same material as the grab handle on the driver door.

I'll check those sites…just wondering if anyone knows off the top of his/her head and if anyone has swapped them before.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Cool, thanks! How about the grab handle on the passenger side front door? Most of it is leather, but the inside part of it is basically a plastic cover of the same material as the grab handle on the driver door.

I'll check those sites…just wondering if anyone knows off the top of his/her head and if anyone has swapped them before.
I *believe* those inner pieces separate, but I'm checking realoem just to be sure, I seem to remember the schematic showing a full disassembly.

Edit, the photo looks like you can get those separate:
Attached Images

07-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I *believe* those inner pieces separate, but I'm checking realoem just to be sure, I seem to remember the schematic showing a full disassembly.

Edit, the photo looks like you can get those separate:
Thanks! You're the man…I'm almost tempted to buy that plastic piece and swap it, since the one on there now has a few wear marks…but it seems like the swap is rather invasive. The entire door card has to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! You're the man…I'm almost tempted to buy that plastic piece and swap it, since the one on there now has a few wear marks…but it seems like the swap is rather invasive. The entire door card has to be removed.
I think the front decorative piece prys off (carefully, it's really cheap ass plastic), and there are just torx screws. I don't think the entire doorcard has to be removed. IIRC, pry from the bottom of that top piece reveals the screws. It was this way on the E46 and E85/6, but I don't remember those chassis having a coating on the plastic, it was the naked plastic

Edit:

check this photo:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=30305&page=3
      07-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think the front decorative piece prys off (carefully, it's really cheap ass plastic), and there are just torx screws. I don't think the entire doorcard has to be removed. IIRC, pry from the bottom of that top piece reveals the screws. It was this way on the E46 and E85/6, but I don't remember those chassis having a coating on the plastic, it was the naked plastic

Edit:

check this photo:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=30305&page=3
Again, VERY useful information and it confirms that the door card does not need removal … also, another picture shows 2 screws holding the driver side (which is different and seems to be part of the door card) - I think that one is removable as well!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Again, VERY useful information and it confirms that the door card does not need removal … also, another picture shows 2 screws holding the driver side (which is different and seems to be part of the door card) - I think that one is removable as well!

Thanks!!
I'll mention, taking the doorcard off, it very useful, you'll find a shit load of places to deaden rattles. Check on the water seal, and add some sound deadening to the outer steal. Just something to think about.