BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
gnjax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ESS VT1-550 low performance

Hi everyone,
This is my first thread here, I bought a supercharged E92 M3 (2010 lci, 95k kms) around 2 weeks ago and i love it so far !
However I went for a dyno today and found out I'm barely over stock performance :

These are values at the crankshaft for 6th and 7th gear.

I knew the car had a conservative tune, but that seems very low, considering it's catless and running on 93 octane.

I could use some help here, I don't know much about troubleshooting these kind of problems especially that it's my first petrol engine (Don't blame me diesel propaganda is strong here ), my first supercharged car and moreover my first M3 !

The previous owner was passionate about the car and did the maintainance right, but he isn't the one that had the SC installed and tune done. I unfortunately have no maintainance history from 2010-2016 so I'm not quite sure what has been changed or not (Except throttle actuator that were changed around ~5000kms ago and air filter that I replaced with a green filter few days ago from the original KN that came with the ESS kit).

The car runs pretty smooth, it whistles a lot but I never saw a supercharged M3 so I don't know which amount of whistle is normal.
ISTA-D shows no error code that could indicate misfires or spark plugs/coil problems (Unless I'm not using it right, again that's all new to me).

I know that's not a lot of information but what do you guys think could be the next steps for me to take in order to find a lead on the problem ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Most dynos are giving you HP at the wheel not the crank. If im reading your output correctly, 465HP at the wheel would be about right for a 550 kit (assuming about 70hp lost to the drivetrain). 442 would be way high for a stock car at the wheel. There is a lot of variation in stock hp on these cars. Ive heard +- 30hp is not unheard of. Im not familiar with European dyno brands but based on a Dynojet I would expect high three hundreds for a stock car and mid to upper 400's for a supercharged 550 kit. Without a stock reading from your actual car, its hard to use stock dyno results and say that applies to all M3s.

Coil packs and spark plug condition is critical for max performance along with your exhaust and gas which you have covered already.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
gnjax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Most dynos are giving you HP at the wheel not the crank. If im reading your output correctly, 465HP at the wheel would be about right for a 550 kit (assuming about 70hp lost to the drivetrain). 442 would be way high for a stock car at the wheel. There is a lot of variation in stock hp on these cars. Ive heard +- 30hp is not unheard of. Im not familiar with European dyno brands but based on a Dynojet I would expect high three hundreds for a stock car and mid to upper 400's for a supercharged 550 kit. Without a stock reading from your actual car, its hard to use stock dyno results and say that applies to all M3s.

Coil packs and spark plug condition is critical for max performance along with your exhaust and gas which you have covered already.
Hi, thanks for your answer, however those values are already accounting for drivetrain loss and are not hp at the wheels (It says "vilebrequin" in the little boxes on the right, which is french for cranckshaft).
I totally agree that without comparison to stock it's hard to determine real gains/losses but I'm pretty sure it should output more even with hot weather (I'm at sea level) and a conservative tune
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Got it. Sorry I cant be of more help. One last thing to consider is this site where you can see how you line up against other dynos.
http://www.s65dynos.com/

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0