BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Ran
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Option Ordering Questions M3 2012

What options are required to ensure iPhone 4S music can be played via the car's regular sound system? What does one lose by not getting any option?

Certainly NOT getting Premium Package or Enhanced Premium Sound.

A - Are BT & USB standard on the car?
B - Or, is Option called "BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB" required? What is enhanced?
C - Option called "Navigation, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB". Does having navigation only make it easier to read name of song being played or is it easy for forwarding to next song, etc. OR is there something else that one will be missing not getting navigation?
D - Is one automatically signing up for any paid service via BMW Assist if one chooses BMW Assist.

Interlagos and Le Mans Blue M3s (or other vehicles) in the same picture much appreciated. Have already viewed pics and real life examples of these.

Thanks much in advance for any comment.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post
What options are required to ensure iPhone 4S music can be played via the car's regular sound system? What does one lose by not getting any option?

Certainly NOT getting Premium Package or Enhanced Premium Sound.

A - Are BT & USB standard on the car?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564448

Quote:
B - Or, is Option called "BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB" required? What is enhanced?
See above.

Quote:
C - Option called "Navigation, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB". Does having navigation only make it easier to read name of song being played or is it easy for forwarding to next song, etc. OR is there something else that one will be missing not getting navigation?
Get the Navigation, it is now $1350.

Quote:
D - Is one automatically signing up for any paid service via BMW Assist if one chooses BMW Assist.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...AssistFAQ.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Ran
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

thanks Technic. Appreciate the links.

My bias is not to get any options whatsoever except perhaps
-- Dynamic Damper Control as an stand-alone OR
-- Competition package

If I do this, since iPod connection is now standard, will I be able to listen to iPhone 4S music via the base sound system in the car. I assume that in this scenario one is left with fiddling with the iPhone to select music, etc. versus being able to operate more easily the navigation screen if one picks the Nav option. Or am I wrong?

I get the feeling when playing with the "Build..." site that although iPod/iPhone4S connection is now standard, one has to click on the zero cost option titled "BMW Assist w enhanced USB/BT" to get an iPhone connector. I'm hoping that is not so since I don't like the idea of stuff in the car that I don't want. In addition, I'm still not clear what enhanced USB/BT means (as distinct from regular USB / BT I guess). I have no interest in BMW Assist, pure Navigation, better sound, etc. The stock car is very good for me and just the ability to play some music from an iPhone 4S (also hoping to charge the phone). To me, the Nav is still not worth the $1350 and I do not mind the reduced resale if true. I'm sure it makes sense to many and I can see why.

Lastly, going by other posts, I'm aware that I may be optioning the car is a somewhat unpopular way but I appreciate any input

Any comment appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

Last edited by Ran; 11-15-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
thanks Technic. Appreciate the links.

My bias is not to get any options whatsoever except perhaps
-- Dynamic Damper Control as an stand-alone OR
-- Competition package

If I do this, since iPod connection is now standard, will I be able to listen to iPhone 4S music via the base sound system in the car. I assume that in this scenario one is left with fiddling with the iPhone to select music, etc. versus being able to operate more easily the navigation screen if one picks the Nav option. Or am I wrong?

I get the feeling when playing with the "Build..." site that although iPod/iPhone4S connection is now standard, one has to click on the zero cost option titled "BMW Assist w enhanced USB/BT" to get an iPhone connector. I'm hoping that is not so since I don't like the idea of stuff in the car that I don't want. In addition, I'm still not clear what enhanced USB/BT means (as distinct from regular USB / BT I guess). I have no interest in BMW Assist, pure Navigation, better sound, etc. The stock car is very good for me and just the ability to play some music from an iPhone 4S (also hoping to charge the phone). To me, the Nav is still not worth the $1350 and I do not mind the reduced resale if true. I'm sure it makes sense to many and I can see why.

Lastly, going by other posts, I'm aware that I may be optioning the car is a somewhat unpopular way but I appreciate any input

Standard USB/iPod adapter = iPod control/sound via OEM HU.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
To me, the Nav is still not worth the $1350 and I do not mind the reduced resale if true. I'm sure it makes sense to many and I can see why.

it might not be worth 1350 to you
But it's worth about 2000 come resale time
Or the difference between selling your car
Or someone telling you," I would have bought your car if it had
Or the dealer giving you a lousy trade in value purely because or no nav
I was the same as you, my 08 didn't have nav, just the way I wanted it
It's not about the navigation
It's about having access to the screen
To setup everything in the car
Without idrive(nav) there are quite a few things in the car, you can't control
and the lack of nav actually made it much harder to sell my car
So trust me fork out the 1350
And thank me when its time to sell your car
      11-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
it might not be worth 1350 to you
But it's worth about 2000 come resale time
Or the difference between selling your car
Or someone telling you," I would have bought your car if it had
Or the dealer giving you a lousy trade in value purely because or no nav
I was the same as you, my 08 didn't have nav, just the way I wanted it
It's not about the navigation
It's about having access to the screen
To setup everything in the car
Without idrive(nav) there are quite a few things in the car, you can't control
and the lack of nav actually made it much harder to sell my car
So trust me fork out the 1350
And thank me when its time to sell your car
Have to agree. If I could have gotten it for 1350, I would've. Get it.
Appreciate 0