BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

09-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Opinions on the Porsche 930

This has been the car of my dreams and have been looking to acquire one for a little while now. Now I'm not saying I'm anywhere near skilled enough to drive it to the absolute limit as I know I'm far from it. Eventually I'd like to build up my skill with it and take it to the track. I've always loved the mystique around it as the "widowmaker," I think it's the best looking Porsche ever to hit the streets, and is what a Porsche truly is (unlike the 996+ that are way too soft and forgiving, IMO). Anyone have experience with it?

09-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

thats perfection right there.

no experience w it though
      09-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I have a friend who's had 3 different 930 turbos. He loves them and I don't blame him. It's a raw sports car by definition.
      09-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
A raw and pure sports car for sure. Build your skills in the car as they do not handle like any other car. What you learn in another car may get you into deep trouble in a 930. Simple cars, not a lot to go wrong. Not crazy money to make them scary fast.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
A raw and pure sports car for sure. Build your skills in the car as they do not handle like any other car. What you learn in another car may get you into deep trouble in a 930. Simple cars, not a lot to go wrong. Not crazy money to make them scary fast.
Yeah from what I've gathered, you should use the opposite pedal you normally would when trying to correct in a corner. Letting off in a corner = spin
      09-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Sorry to be off topic... but that's an interesting user title you have there TK-421...
      09-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Sorry to be off topic... but that's an interesting user title you have there TK-421...
Do you know where it's from?
      09-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Your name, yes... the title below the name, no
      09-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Your name, yes... the title below the name, no
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only Star Wars nerd in here... and about the title, I mean to paste something in there but accidentally posted a quote I was going to put into the gay thread in OT. Fixed now
      09-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

pretty car
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

If it's to be a toy and not a DD, then spend some time finding a good sample and go for it. But the 930 was the reason why Porsche went to AWD with all their Turbos ever since. It can be a very dangerous car under the right (wrong) conditions.

It's an icon and yes, a 'raw' old school car. Or, it's an icon with a motor in the wrong place. All depends on how you feel like describing it. But don't buy it only because it's a cool looking icon. There are lots of cool looking icon cars that are a PITA to actually drive. So, be sure to be realistic about all this.

I suggest you go drive one for an extended amount of time if you aren't that familiar with the dynamics.

Join the PCA and get informed about what ownership means. Rennlist is also a good source and is more informed and mature than 6speedonline; and be sure to join Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/) Also, the PCA holds lots of driving events at the track. Check with your local chapter. http://www.pca.org/

It might take a year or so to find the right sample. You might want to consider a 993TT although the prices are still fairly high ($60k on up.) It's just as fun to drive and a bit more forgiving. Also think about a 964 or a 993 non-turbo as a first jump into these cars. They have the quintessential old school charm and driving dynamics. If you buy right, you can turn it around for what you paid for it since the pre-996 P-cars don't depreciate much (my 993 was $78k back in 1996 and I could sell it easy for $45k, not bad for 14 years old.)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
If it's to be a toy and not a DD, then spend some time finding a good sample and go for it. But the 930 was the reason why Porsche went to AWD with all their Turbos ever since. It can be a very dangerous car under the right (wrong) conditions.

It's an icon and yes, a 'raw' old school car. Or, it's an icon with a motor in the wrong place. All depends on how you feel like describing it. But don't buy it only because it's a cool looking icon. There are lots of cool looking icon cars that are a PITA to actually drive. So, be sure to be realistic about all this.

I suggest you go drive one for an extended amount of time if you aren't that familiar with the dynamics.

Join the PCA and get informed about what ownership means. Rennlist is also a good source and is more informed and mature than 6speedonline; and be sure to join Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/) Also, the PCA holds lots of driving events at the track. Check with your local chapter. http://www.pca.org/

It might take a year or so to find the right sample. You might want to consider a 993TT although the prices are still fairly high ($60k on up.) It's just as fun to drive and a bit more forgiving. Also think about a 964 or a 993 non-turbo as a first jump into these cars. They have the quintessential old school charm and driving dynamics. If you buy right, you can turn it around for what you paid for it since the pre-996 P-cars don't depreciate much (my 993 was $78k back in 1996 and I could sell it easy for $45k, not bad for 14 years old.)
Solid advice, thanks. I intend for it to be a DD and mainly because of how it is to drive. I want something that is truly rewarding to drive, even more so than my E46 M3 and much more of a challenge. I agree with you about Rennlist and I've found a good amount of info there already. Will check out Pelican as well
      09-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
God I love that car...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Solid advice, thanks. I intend for it to be a DD and mainly because of how it is to drive. I want something that is truly rewarding to drive, even more so than my E46 M3 and much more of a challenge. I agree with you about Rennlist and I've found a good amount of info there already. Will check out Pelican as well
I personally would not own one as a DD, but that's just me. My 993 is my fun car. In a way it's more enjoyable to drive because of that. If it were a DD then the negative side would become apparent too often (like any car, they aren't perfect.) As a non-DD, it's actually much more appreciated for what it is: a really great sports car with an amazing tactile quality to it.

I'd personally think hard about a 930 as your only car. Especially in an area where you get rain. Slight oil and fresh rain mixed on the road with a car that's got too much power, and with all that weight in the butt in such a light package, can be tricky. Aside from all that, they have very little space. I went down to Staples the other day to pick up a paper shredder and had to come home to get my other car since it wouldn't fit into the 993, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I personally would not own one as a DD, but that's just me. My 993 is my fun car. In a way it's more enjoyable to drive because of that. If it were a DD then the negative side would become apparent too often (like any car, they aren't perfect.) As a non-DD, it's actually much more appreciated for what it is: a really great sports car with an amazing tactile quality to it.

I'd personally think hard about a 930 as your only car. Especially in an area where you get rain. Slight oil and fresh rain mixed on the road with a car that's got too much power, and with all that weight in the butt in such a light package, can be tricky. Aside from all that, they have very little space. I went down to Staples the other day to pick up a paper shredder and had to come home to get my other car since it wouldn't fit into the 993, lol.
All of your points make perfect sense. Here in Florida, we sure do get our fair share of rain lol. Now that I think about it, I can see every once in a while wanting to get to point B without any effort because of being tired or whatnot. And ringing out that car would be a little more special each time as well. I think I'll hold off for a little while longer and save a bit more so I can pick up a cheap DD to go with it or something.
      09-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

that car actually looks familiar...was it a miami car before?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
that car actually looks familiar...was it a miami car before?
no idea. it was on the first page when i google image searched "porsche 930"
      09-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Using it as a DD will grow old very quickly. Better off having it as a toy and pick up a beater for DD duty. If you turn your own wrenches they are one of the last Porsche's that are easy to work on and maintain. As a DD the upkeep can be expensive. Consider an oil change is 12 quarts. Rear tires do not last long.

I would love to have a factory 930 slant nose for a play car.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
no idea. it was on the first page when i google image searched "porsche 930"
Looks very familiar.

Below is my 86' 930...loved it! The two big drawbacks too daily driving are the air isnt great and the clutch is a rock. if you decide to do it try to get a 5 speed as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheeladdicts; 09-10-2010 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I'm a p-car nut, so I am biased. The 930 was a great iconic 911. Finding one in great condition like the one in the picture will not be exactly cheap. They are surprisingly reliable though when maintained and driven. I have a 964 which is now approaching 20 years old and it is rock solid - most reliable car I have ever owned. I also just recently purchased a 996 TT - for those thinking they are soft and not a true 911, they haven't driven one. The 996TT has one of the best motors ever produced by Porsche. It is no coincidence that Porsche is using this same block in the '11 GT2 RS.

They are truly great cars. The cars that have problems are the cars that were abused, not maintained, or garage queens.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
Looks very familiar.

Below is my 86' 930...loved it! The two big drawbacks too daily driving are the air isnt great and the clutch is a rock. if you decide to do it try to get a 5 speed as well.
Beautiful car! I've also heard that about the 930's air conditioning and that you'll have a strong right forearm after owning one for a while. I believe the 5 speed was only available in '89? If so, those have been noticeably more expensive. Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I'm a p-car nut, so I am biased. The 930 was a great iconic 911. Finding one in great condition like the one in the picture will not be exactly cheap. They are surprisingly reliable though when maintained and driven. I have a 964 which is now approaching 20 years old and it is rock solid - most reliable car I have ever owned. I also just recently purchased a 996 TT - for those thinking they are soft and not a true 911, they haven't driven one. The 996TT has one of the best motors ever produced by Porsche. It is no coincidence that Porsche is using this same block in the '11 GT2 RS.

They are truly great cars. The cars that have problems are the cars that were abused, not maintained, or garage queens.
I wasn't dissing the 996 by any means (a good friends of mine has one pushing 700 at the wheels and is truly a monster), I just liked the connection that to road and simplicity that I felt when I drove a 911 SC. And I didn't know that last bit about the RS - that's really impressive. If I do pull the trigger, I would plan on doing most of the work myself so that's pretty encouraging.
      09-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #22
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only Star Wars nerd in here... and about the title, I mean to paste something in there but accidentally posted a quote I was going to put into the gay thread in OT. Fixed now
Why aren't you at your post?
Appreciate 0