BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

01-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #133
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
BMW is making another hardcore M3 coupe. The Competition Package will be launched in March and will doubtless be seen as a modern-day M3 CSL by many people.
From the face of it I wouldn't call this a "hardcore M3 coupe". I also don't see how this can be regarded as a "modern day CSL". The GTS yes, but not this. In my mind hardcore / CSL is hand in hand with low weight and possibly with some sort of striped interior.

I would love to see a competition package with the above mentioned upgrades AND some weight reduction...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #134
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Do not worry the automedia will be making the trip to Garching very soon and to drive and experience the car(s) for themselves.
The M3 GTS will also be a highlight at the M display @ the BMW stand @ Geneva in March.

Do not worry there, If you listen to the Bimmerfile site Podcast you can hear the results regarding Adrian Van HooyDunk' Matte Black M3 Coupe. and how they are testing the finish by damaging the car.
Which is true because it continues with the BMW test everything philosophy. A man stands with a clipboard where the car is reversed and scraped along surfaces such as brick, lamp post , another car , roughcasting , loose gravel track etc.
It will be very thoroughly tested before committed for production and that includes aftersales repairs and accessories such as paint sticks etc.
Would I have to worry if I hoped for a matte blue color?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #135
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Frozen Grey is available, but not until August Production, as the UK has all of the Frozen Grey spots until then. Apparently, in March, the UK will receive a Frozen Grey edition..don't know the contents except colour.
Dammit!! I was really set on purchasing a 2011 M3 in time for this summer and want this Frozen Grey colour! If I wait unti August then I'll get my car just in time for the cold winter months... bummer. Do you think there is ANY possiblity of persuading the stealership to order this colour on a March production ZCP? I'm in Canada btw, those lucky brits..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #136
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
Dammit!! I was really set on purchasing a 2011 M3 in time for this summer and want this Frozen Grey colour! If I wait unti August then I'll get my car just in time for the cold winter months... bummer. Do you think there is ANY possiblity of persuading the stealership to order this colour on a March production ZCP? I'm in Canada btw, those lucky brits..
How about trying to convince BMW that we're a part of the Commonwealth???? How about "If I pay in 20 dollar bills, there's a pic of the Queen on each and every one of them???"

In all seriousness though, poster "Mr. D" was turned down so it seems BMW is sticking to their guns on this one. Which is unfortunate. But what the hell....it won't hurt to try!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #137
Mr.D
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The more we assault them from every angle, the better chance they'll slip and allow an order. Once the precedent is set, others can jump in; is my hope.

Mark -- let me know what you hear about the Black Trim today -- if yours goes through...I'll be giving a call to my Dealer/BMW Group. As of yesterday morning, it was unapproved on my order.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #138
Nater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Briskly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_135i View Post
Wow! I'm excited.

I work for a BMW dealership, and went into the order bank immediately upon reading your post, and sure enough! It's in there.

There's no description of what you actually get with ZCP other than EDC and it conflicts with the stand alone 19" wheel option so it's safe to say you get 19's. I hope you get a break on the tech pkg since it also includes EDC.

I'll post if I find out anything, although it looks like BMW tells everyone EXCEPT the dealers about breaking news. I.E. the 335is, it's been on the order bank for over a month, and still no official information from BMW.
Dude the M3 ZCP has been in the order bank for over a month.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #139
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
Dude the M3 ZCP has been in the order bank for over a month.
So why didn't you say anything a month ago?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #140
roflopter142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

^Lol.

I'm definitely picking up a 2011 ZCP M3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #141
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
He did, but not everyone cared.
The thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328077
The post: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=62

Just like nobody believed us last year when we said the 2011 were coming out in March.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #142
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Maybe someone closer to the actual program can confirm this or not, but a few months ago when the info was revealed about the GTS I heard similar things about a more normal version of this car for the road which was to be shown at the same time as the up and coming RS5, i.e. M-Division's answer to that very car but minus the GTS power bump. I shared that info with Southlight but at the time thought I had just mistaken that car for the GTS and never shared it with the group as a whole.

At the time I was told a possible drop in weight (token gesture) but it would gain tweaked suspension and the same revised DSC system that the GTS was getting.

My question is can anyone confirm or deny the revised DSC system?

It appears that EVO magazine have also heard the same thing as their article on the car states this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO magazine
BMW is making another hardcore M3 coupe. The Competition Package will be launched in March and will doubtless be seen as a modern-day M3 CSL by many people.

And we’re inclined to count ourselves among them – there are a number of dynamic tweaks that should make this sharper and more dynamic than the regular V8-engined E92 M3, and a much more dynamically-honed car than the recent M3 Edition.

There’s a 10mm suspension drop and new electronic damper control, the combination of which ‘improves upon the standard car’s already agile handling making for a more exciting and dynamic drive’, according to BMW sources. Sounds like grand news to us. As does improved stability control, which we’d expect to make the rear-drive M3 even more playful when in Competition spec.
Sadly the engine will be untouched, with power, torque and acceleration identical to those of the regular 4-litre M3 two-door. That means 414bhp (at a heady 8300rpm) and 295lb ft of torque alongside a 4.8sec sprint to 60mph and a limited 155mph top speed.

There aren’t any pictures of the new car just yet, it being based on the refreshed M3 that’s still due to be revealed. We’ve been told there’s a new, lighter set of 19in alloy wheels, which BMW says are inspired by the E46 CSL, while some subtle aerodynamic adornments are expected.

Specifying a Competition Package M3 will add £3315 to the Coupe’s price, the regular car costing £52,730. That means a £56K M3. The E46 CSL cost £58K when new, but justified its near-911 price tag with upped performance and significant weight shedding. We’ll see if the M3 CP can win us over too when it gets its likely Geneva motor show unveil in March.

Last edited by footie; 01-25-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #143
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

It would be so easy to loose 50kg in weight for the competition package. Add two Recaro pole position seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #144
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Ep, I think the primary reason why relatively few people knew about this was that the main thread on it was located in the pics and vids forum. Same thing happened with the M3 LCI thread (that thread confirmed no LCI M3 front end changes, yet few saw it, so questions about that persisted for months). Basically if a thread contains even just one picture, it often gets moved into that forum. This, even though the most important information in the thread is not the picture at all, but instead the discussion about what it might imply or represent. After all, the picture in the ZCP thread was a repost from weeks prior anyway so it was complete non-news as far as that. The news was Mark's M's claims and detailed story (with a high degree of credibility).

I've been vocal about this type of thread shuffling in the past, but it seems that putting any type of pic in the opening post is the death knell for what would be an otherwise very visible thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #145
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ep, I think the primary reason why relatively few people knew about this was that the main thread on it was located in the pics and vids forum. Same thing happened with the M3 LCI thread (that thread confirmed no LCI M3 front end changes, yet few saw it, so questions about that persisted for months). Basically if a thread contains even just one picture, it often gets moved into that forum. This, even though the most important information in the thread is not the picture at all, but instead the discussion about what it might imply or represent. After all, the picture in the ZCP thread was a repost from weeks prior anyway so it was complete non-news as far as that. The news was Mark's M's claims and detailed story (with a high degree of credibility).

I've been vocal about this type of thread shuffling in the past, but it seems that putting any type of pic in the opening post is the death knell for what would be an otherwise very visible thread.
You're referring to Mark's M's thread? It's not in the picture forum, but in the pricing/ordering forum, where it belongs to IMO.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #146
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You're referring to Mark's M's thread? It's not in the picture forum, but in the pricing/ordering forum, where it belongs to IMO.

Best regards,
south
You're right south - I mentioned the wrong forum. But the same thing applies, IMHO. Often times very important threads are missed because they are moved to less visible forums.

Think about how many, many discussions there were over the past few months about:

- More power for 2011 M3 LCI
- When the M3 LCI will occur
- What changes will the LCI bring

The irony is that one of the most credible threads with 2011 M3 information was buried in the ordering forum. This kind of thing happens all the time. Perfectly valid discussions are moved to obscure forums, while repeat discussions full of rabid speculation and outright lies are left in the main forum to fester. This is the main reason why there was so much BS threads started about the M3 getting more power, IMHO.

I agree that Mark's M thread was techically discussing his order, but the fact that it had very good info about the M3 ZCP should have allowed it to remain front and center in the General forum, IMHO. There is a lot of value in having separate forums for separate topics but when a thread contians valuable info it should not get moved merely because it also incidentally falls into categories covered by other areas of the site. Again, just MHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #147
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I know they are not available, but I would love to see some pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #148
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
You're right south - I mentioned the wrong forum. But the same thing applies, IMHO. Often times very important threads are missed because they are moved to less visible forums.

Think about how many, many discussions there were over the past few months about:

The irony is that one of the most credible threads with 2011 M3 information was buried in the ordering forum. This kind of thing happens all the time. Perfectly valid discussions are moved to obscure forums, while repeat discussions full of rabid speculation and outright lies are left in the main forum to fester. This is the main reason why there was so much BS threads started about the M3 getting more power, IMHO.

I agree that Mark's M thread was techically discussing his order, but the fact that it had very good info about the M3 ZCP should have allowed it to remain front and center in the General forum, IMHO. There is a lot of value in having separate forums for separate topics but when a thread contians valuable info it should not get moved merely because it also incidentally falls into categories covered by other areas of the site. Again, just MHO.
      01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #149
Nater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Briskly

Quote:

Yah I posted a new thread about being able to order the 2011 ZCP under "General M3 Forum" and was surprised to see it merged with Mark's M thread in the pricing and dealership forum the next day... oh well, I thought it was newsworthy haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #150
southlight
Rep

Quote:

I understand your point, but don't know if not moving threads to the appropriate forum is the solution to this. I've been under the impression that anyone who's about to place an order or want to know about changing details and options would first and foremost look in the ordering section. All the ordering guides and pricing information are found there. As a corollary of this, all threads related to such options or packages get moved to said ordering section, because that's where people would search for them before starting a new thread.

Furthermore, many of the topics you mentioned are located in the general section. Besides Mark's thread, I didn't find any important thread on the LCI in the ordering section, but I didn't search that long.

We're clearly digressing here, but I don't want to cut this discussion. I'll move it out of the thread into a new one in case you or anyone else want to continue, though.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #151
southlight
Rep

I just had a look at the German pricelist which lists the Competition Package now (code 7MA here):

Name:  M3_ZCP_7MA.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  M3_CP_359Y.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  67.5 KB

It pretty much confirms this list I made some days ago:

Competition Package (around € 3,600 + VAT)
  • exclusive wheels: 19" - Style 359M - Y-Spoke
  • Lower suspension (-10mm)
  • New SPORT mode for EDC

The tires are the same dimensions as for the factory 19" wheels, but the wheels are 1/2 an inch wider. Besides, there doesn't seem to be a revised DSC setting.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP

Last edited by southlight; 01-26-2010 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #152
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Thanks for that South, I did say in that PM that the source of the info wasn't as direct as I would have preferred. Though it is unusual for both myself and EVO to both get it wrong but then again shit does happen .............. occasionally.

I think the biggest difference to how this car behaves is the rims, these things are extremely light if I remember correct and on this occasion the EDC has been fully developed with these rims/tyres in mind. It might sound expensive but then again it might just be worth it.

Last edited by footie; 01-26-2010 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #153
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just had a look at the German pricelist which lists the Competition Package now (code 7MA here):

[t pretty much confirms this list I made some days ago:

Competition Package (around € 3,600 + VAT)
  • exclusive wheels: 19" - Style 359M - Y-Spoke
  • Lower suspension (-10mm)
  • New SPORT mode for EDC

The wheels are the same dimensions as the factory 19" wheels and there doesn't seem to be a revised DSC setting.

Best regards,
south
Thanks for the info south. It is interesting they are calling it 7MA. I recall a claim, I think it was on bimmerfile, that 7MA would be an additional package (something about exhaust if I recall) on top of the regular competition package (which would be called "ZCP"). I guess that is not the case.

Edit: Here is the bimmerfile link:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/01/20...ition-package/

Quote:
I understand your point, but don't know if not moving threads to the appropriate forum is the solution to this.
I hear ya south. But, at the very least, threads that are repeats/trolling should be merged or moved to OT. Recently, when a certain poster who insisted on trying to spread the rumor about M3 engine upgrades (probably just likes the attention), started his own, new thread on the topic reiterating the claim, I reported it asking it to be merged with the other prior BS thread on the same topic. But I was ignored as usual when I report such things. And what about the supposed factory supercharged M3 from awhile back? Yep, that thread was allowed to sit front and center and certain mods (not yourself) got very defensive about letting it stay. But yet, Mark's M ZCP info thread sits in the ordering forum? And then Nater makes a second post about ZCP that has nothing to do with any specific order, that corroborates Mark's m claim, and his gets merged?

It all makes absolutely on sense whatsoever.

Again, I understand the need to categorize posts. But when doing that undermines the very purpose of a forum (well, one purpose - others exist too) which is to help disseminate M3 info, then clearly something has gone awry. That's all I am saying. IMHO.

Ok - my last post on that topic. I agree we should discuss it elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #154
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

So are the Style 359 M rims the same as the M3 GTS but with the tires of standard M3 Style 220 M rims?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread