BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #45
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Obligated is probably the wrong word to use... I simply find it difficult to not drive fast(er).

As far as being the first at a stop light, eh, I don't bother. I know the ///M isn't built for stop light to stop light speed. I rather prefer being the first on/off an entrance ramp and distancing myself from those behind me on the twisties
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #46
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No. It's actually the opposite. I purposely drive slower with my M3 (in most circumstances).

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #47
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I don't.
I find it amusing everybody around me feels the need to race out in front of me...I guess to prove their mini van is faster.
But...I try to keep in check with a "if you speed up, who's the cop gonna pull over?"...and just let them go.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #48
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

As OP I am quite interested in the responses. Throwing out the fringe answers, the majority of the responses indicate that posters drive their ///M3 in a very responsible manner while occasionally experiencing the thrill of driving one of these fine machines (like on a freeway onramp, or on a twisty back road, or at a stoplight). I fall squarely in that group as well. Keep the responses coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #49
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpipes View Post
The title asks the operative question. But as I was cruising along the coast today I wondered how everyone else felt about this. If you are first at a stop light, do you feel you need to take off faster than the person next to you becuz you have an ///M3? Do you feel funny if a grandmother in a Crown Vic or someone in a Camry passes you while you are in the right lane? Do you care? Do you always drive fast/aggressive or are there times when you just cruise along like anyone else? Just curious how everyone else drives day by day.
No. What you've just described is a small penis syndrome. People who have it, have it no matter what car they drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #50
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM3 View Post
i feel obligated to follow the law. i dont really care if a granny driving a Crown Vic passes me. i just do my thing and cruise......
Oh, please....spare us the holier-than-thou attitude.

Person A is driving 63mph in freezing rain in a 2-wheel-drive 16 year old pick-up truck. The speed limit is 65. He is following the law.

Person B is driving 90mph in an M3 on a deserted rural highway in dry sunny weather. The speed llimit is also 65. He is breaking the law.

In my book, person A is being far more dangerous than person B.

The problem with "the law" is that is applies the same standards to all people in all conditions. In this regard, it is inherently imperfect. There really is no better option in a civilized society, but when it comes to enforcing the law, discretion should be used. There are people with far superior intelligence and/or driving skills and reflexes than others. There are cars that are far more capable in all regards than others and yet the same standards are applied to both in the name of "the law". From a standpoint of real logic, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If the government can tax me at a higher percentage because I make a high income, then why can't it grant me the privilege to drive faster in my expensive sports car that can stop form 60 in 108 ft as opposed to some beat-up old pick-up that takes 200 ft.

Other than certain obvious laws for real crimes against people, most of these regulatory laws are there to satisfy some special or disguised agenda.

Most interstate speed limits, for example, exist for revenue generating purposes. They have absolutely nothing to do with public safety. Police really are not to blame. If you find an officer that uses discretion, then great, but this is really not their job or their obligation. Their job is simply to enforce the law, not to judge whether your action was appropriate or inappropriate. That is the job of the courts, but as we all know traffic based revenue is just too easy to generate.

In my state of Massachsetts, back years ago when the speed limit was 55, the police tried the concept of "moving roadblocks". Police cruisers took up all lanes and cruised at 55 to regulate the speed of the traffic. The amount of congestion and number of accidents that ensued was astronmical. The concept was quickly abandoned, and yet 55mph was "the law".

Have I made my opinion on this matter clear?
      12-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

First, I'd like to say that I AGREE with your post.

However, one note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Person A is driving 63mph in freezing rain in a 2-wheel-drive 16 year old pick-up truck. The speed limit is 65. He is following the law.
This is actually not technically true as all states have some form of an "unsafe for conditions" ticket, so (depending on how bad the freezing rain was) he could potentially be breaking the law as well.

Though the chances of him being ticketed (unless he got in an accident, in which case they love to tack on an extra ticket ) are obviously rather slim
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #52
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I don't rip at stop lights unless I'm relatively the only car there. The funny thing is I used to drive a lot faster and more aggressively in my E92 335i because it was more low key in looks and sound (cops, nobody would bat an eye). Now I drive this loud, rip roaring M car, I'm more careful when I go all-out, bat s*&T fast.

I do feel people are driving a lot slower around me more often than before haha...I guess it just seems that way because I always want to drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #53
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
To answer the OPs question. I don't drive my M3 any differently than I drive any of my other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
I drive slo. It feels fast already going 65. Only gun it on freeway on ramps when no one in front but I stop accelerating at 60 because no where does it say it's illegal to get to that speed in under 5 secs
To me, this car feels extremely slow at 65 or 85. It's so smooth, refined and planted it feels like it's going 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post

Yea, I've done that, and I witnessed them in the rearview almost go clear off the road. I would've felt terrible if something bad happened.
When I leave work there's a nicely curved 90 degree right turn lane. I can take it at 60ish without an issue in the M. One day some idiot in a SUV tried to follow me through the curve at my speed, needless to say he was quickly spit out into the roadway beside us. I'm glad no one was there. It made me laugh.
      12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #54
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

I feel much more obligated to drive fast because of my V1 than my M3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
lack of torque in the M

I drove faster on the street in my 335i too lol
Just lost a 335i FBO ..it was a street monster compared to the m3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #56
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

I feel obligated to drive fast, so I bought an M3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #57
FR01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I drive my weekly rental cars faster on avg...M3 usually 78-79 on hwys granted I catch more attention doing so than a standard grey sedan.

Plenty of double speed limit on/off ramp action and backwoods roads. It is what I bought the car for right?

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #58
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
To answer the OPs question. I don't drive my M3 any differently than I drive any of my other cars.

To me, this car feels extremely slow at 65 or 85. It's so smooth, refined and planted it feels like it's going 45.

When I leave work there's a nicely curved 90 degree right turn lane. I can take it at 60ish without an issue in the M. One day some idiot in a SUV tried to follow me through the curve at my speed, needless to say he was quickly spit out into the roadway beside us. I'm glad no one was there. It made me laugh.
no such thing as a "nicely curved" 90 degree turn! 90 degrees is 90 degrees! Just like you cannot be "more dead" dead is dead! 90 degree turn at 60mph! Wow you must have F1 chassis under your m3 body!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #59
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Someone didnt pay attention during high school geometry..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #60
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Oh, please....spare us the holier-than-thou attitude.

Person B is driving 90mph in an M3 on a deserted rural highway in dry sunny weather. The speed llimit is also 65. He is breaking the law.

In my book, person A is being far more dangerous than person B.

The problem with "the law" is that is applies the same standards to all people in all conditions. In this regard, it is inherently imperfect. There really is no better option in a civilized society, but when it comes to enforcing the law, discretion should be used. There are people with far superior intelligence and/or driving skills and reflexes than others. There are cars that are far more capable in all regards than others and yet the same standards are applied to both in the name of "the law". From a standpoint of real logic, this makes no sense whatsoever.

If the government can tax me at a higher percentage because I make a high income, then why can't it grant me the privilege to drive faster in my expensive sports car that can stop form 60 in 108 ft as opposed to some beat-up old pick-up that takes 200 ft.

Other than certain obvious laws for real crimes against people, most of these regulatory laws are there to satisfy some special or disguised agenda.

Most interstate speed limits, for example, exist for revenue generating purposes. They have absolutely nothing to do with public safety. Police really are not to blame. If you find an officer that uses discretion, then great, but this is really not their job or their obligation. Their job is simply to enforce the law, not to judge whether your action was appropriate or inappropriate. That is the job of the courts, but as we all know traffic based revenue is just too easy to generate.

In my state of Massachsetts, back years ago when the speed limit was 55, the police tried the concept of "moving roadblocks". Police cruisers took up all lanes and cruised at 55 to regulate the speed of the traffic. The amount of congestion and number of accidents that ensued was astronmical. The concept was quickly abandoned, and yet 55mph was "the law".

Have I made my opinion on this matter clear?
actually a beater truck with newer tires and that is lighter may very well stop in less time than you. Stopping time is only dependent on mass of the vehicle, speed and friction. Any semi-modern drum or disk brakes can provide enough power to lock up the wheel with abs action if applicable, meaning its the surface of the road and the grip of the tire. Nothing to do with how big your brakes are or how modern your car is.

Now they may not be able to do two hard brakings in a row and may overheat their shitty brakes in one shot, but emergency braking is no better in your m3 than a 84 honda civic, actually civic probably will stop sooner!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #61
TheClozer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

I just cruise at 75-80 on the freeway in the M...same on the streets. I like the attention! On ramps are always fun to gun through, the same goes for the twisties and the occasional spirited driving when by yourself on a highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #62
IWishIOwnAnM3=]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Invisible M3

I would admire the m3s as i cruise in my invisible m3 =]
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #63
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by telkayat View Post
I just cruise at 75-80 on the freeway in the M...same on the streets. I like the attention! On ramps are always fun to gun through, the same goes for the twisties and the occasional spirited driving when by yourself on a highway.
+1 (as long as my daughter is not in the car with me).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #64
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I'm starting to drive more aggressive, but that's only b/c DC area drivers are aggressive. I never use to be this way when I lived in Ohio where everyone is easy breezy
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #65
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
Do I feel obligated? No. Do I drive faster than I otherwise would? Most definitely. Generally, it's not a conscious decision. But I definitely drive faster.
Well put... +1

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #66
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
This forum is so fun sometimes ...
Appreciate 0