BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
OK. I may be at fault in my clarity. I agree, SMG in manual mode will NOT kick down in the traditional 'auto' sense. I was just trying to explain that it's a myth that SMG will never change down for you. It will change down to prevent you from stalling. Sorry if I've been unclear.
Umm, didn't you say it would kick down if you go full throttle?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #24
edkh
Registered
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I have both SMG and DSG cars.
- DSG creeps forward when you release the brake, SMG doesn't
- I always use manual mode in the m3 because I just hate the shift timing in auto mode vs. I drive the DSG in auto mode most of the time unless I'm into somekinda fun.
- both SMG and DSG do downshitft on it's own when the rpm is too low (no matter your in auto or manual mode), say when your approaching a redlight in 6th at 60mi. DSG downshifts starting at around 1,500rpm (maybe lower) without skipping gears vs. SMG skips gears sometimes
- DSG upshifts automatically if you get to the rev limit (even in manual mode) but not so sure about the SMG, which gives you the yellow and red indicators when the needle approaches the rev limit.
- DSG is super smooth, the rpm keeps going up without dropping during acceleration vs. SMG is kinda jerky at slow speed but it gives you the kick in the back when upshifting. SMG gives you the feeling of driving a real M/T car without the third paddle. I prefer the current SMG over the VW DSG but would love to try the new tranny on the e92 m3.
      03-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
cardebt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 Coupe Slvr Gry

Garage List
2007 Z4 Coupe  [7.00]
Does DSG give you the kick in back when you upshift like SMG? That is the feeling I love about SMG and would hope it isn't lost with DSG. Also, I have heard that the down shift is considerably slower (probably already mentioned) is this true? What I am hearing is smoothness in Auto mode is only real advantage? SMG Auto mode is really really bad, unless you put it in sport and then set it on 3 of 6 in th aggressiveness meter and then it is slightly tolerable. My M roadster is, of course, manual so I am not that interested in having M3 maual as I prefer to mix it up. I hope to not be dissapointed. If so I'll go by a clean E46 M3 SMG for 1/2 the price.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Read up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardebt View Post
Does DSG give you the kick in back when you upshift like SMG? That is the feeling I love about SMG and would hope it isn't lost with DSG. Also, I have heard that the down shift is considerably slower (probably already mentioned) is this true? What I am hearing is smoothness in Auto mode is only real advantage? SMG Auto mode is really really bad, unless you put it in sport and then set it on 3 of 6 in th aggressiveness meter and then it is slightly tolerable. My M roadster is, of course, manual so I am not that interested in having M3 maual as I prefer to mix it up. I hope to not be dissapointed. If so I'll go by a clean E46 M3 SMG for 1/2 the price.
Many of your questions are answered here.

edkh: It's good to look at VAG DSG to figure what ZSG will be like however, things like automatic upshift at redline are obviously fully software controllable. ZSG in manual mode does not have to be this way and I suspect won't be. heezyo2o already made this point as well.

You guys should read all of the thread you post to and read a few others for some background before posting.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #27
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Umm, didn't you say it would kick down if you go full throttle?
No. I said this, "SMG kicks down to a lower gear when you press on the accelerator, so what difference does DSG make?"

I shouldn't have said 'kick down'. I meant if you are coming up to a junction or lights in sixth gear for example, and you put your foot on the accelerator, and the software detects you should be in 2nd, it will change down for you to prevent you stalling. I know it's not a traditional 'kick down' that autos have. It's my fault for my choice of terms.
Appreciate 0