BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-01-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Subwoofer Randomly Went Out

I was driving yesterday listen to music at a moderate level, and all of a sudden, I started to hear nothing but distortion from my driver side subwoofer under the seat. Keep in mind that the music wasn't really turned up to a level that would blow any of the speakers. Upon hearing the distortion, I immediately turned down the music, and then slowly turned it back up. After slowly turning it back up, I realized that the subwoofer had completely stopped working. Any thoughts on this? Since I first heard distortion, I figure the subwoofer is blown and not the amp? Very strange since I did not have the volume turned up too high when I began hearing the distortion. I do have the enhanced premium sound FYI.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Blew your woofers.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I had a similar problem took the sub out and found a broken wire. Like my case if the wires broken way in the housing it's nearly impossible to splice. If it's broken closer to the plug you probably have a chance at soldering it. Take it out have a look
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
I had a similar problem took the sub out and found a broken wire. Like my case if the wires broken way in the housing it's nearly impossible to splice. If it's broken closer to the plug you probably have a chance at soldering it. Take it out have a look
I took it out this past weekend and, like you said, one of the wires snapped. Unfortunately, it did not snap at the lead so it was very difficult to fix. I already installed a new woofer and everything is good to go. Below is a pic of the damaged woofer. Look familiar?

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpilat8588 View Post
I took it out this past weekend and, like you said, one of the wires snapped. Unfortunately, it did not snap at the lead so it was very difficult to fix. I already installed a new woofer and everything is good to go. Below is a pic of the damaged woofer. Look familiar?

Familiar? No...lucky me I had it break way tucked in there so I couldn't get at it...my replacements will be in today tho...good for you you got it fixed tho
Appreciate 0