BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Track use and warranty.

Hi there.

Does BMW mention anything in its owner's manual or warranty booklet about track use? I downloaded the manual from their web site and did not see anything. But what about the other booklets. I searched here, but did not find much.

Tomasz
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

The answer to that depends on a lot of variables, but the two most compelling are, your dealer's attitude, and modifications to the car, if any. If the car is totally stock, then you should be okay, partly because the dealer will not necessarily be aware of track use. If you roll in on Hoosiers, a roll bar, after-market suspension and brakes, and racing seats, you should consider your warranty gone. Obviously, those are two extremes, but it's hard to say with any certainty. I believe you will find warranty exclusions for any racing or competition activity. The typical DE weekend activity should not, per se, cause you problems, but again, much depends on the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Hi there.

Does BMW mention anything in its owner's manual or warranty booklet about track use? I downloaded the manual from their web site and did not see anything. But what about the other booklets. I searched here, but did not find much.

Tomasz
Your covered for track use..... unless its a dedicated track car..... but hitting the track once in a while - i think ur fine there.

(this is assuming the car is bone stock)
      05-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
axm
Rep
Drives: X5D

I am not so sure, I took my car ONCE for a track event - in a B group with an instructor in tow. The rotors warped (I paid for fixing the pads), I also had 10k plus miles - I thought it might be a good idea to give BMW feedback about their rotors having pad material stuck to them.. you know.. coming from a p-car.. generally companies are happy about getting feedback.. In BMW NA's case, they flagged my car (with all sorts of incorrect information) and now it is a pain to get even routine maint work on it.. no luck trying to get BMW to remove it.

If you do take the car, make sure you cover your plates and VIN... .and don't post any pictures.. and remove any evidence when you give for service. .whatever you do don't give them feedback..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

^^^Now this is very strange, especially for a car that has a race track map on every page of it's brochure...

To add a datapoint, I had no problem getting warranty work done on a stock car with clear signs of track use (missing chunks of rubber from tire shoulders and silhouettes of numbers in the dirt on the glass). The work was not related to track use, though. Also, two dealership employees told me I should track the car to make sure DCT does not lag... It is possible they were trying to trick me out of warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
Your covered for track use..... unless its a dedicated track car..... but hitting the track once in a while - i think ur fine there.

(this is assuming the car is bone stock)
Sorry but the warranty says nothing about what you described. The warranty DOES however say that competition use is not covered.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Interesting feedback. Is there anything written in any of the materials I can download or see at the dealer? What about the lease contract?

I know that "don't ask don't tell policy often works" but what if I blow my unmodified motor at a track event?

Anyway, I am looking for wording from a manual I do not have. Here is a quote from the GT3 manual:

"Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in
competition, racing or track use or other events.
Components and/or parts that fail during racing
or driving events (including Porsche sponsored
events) will not be covered by the manufacturer
new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle
warranty."

Is there similiar statement in any of the BMW M3 documentation? I am hoping that BMW excludes racing and competition but stops of going as far as Porsche has gone and saying "or track use". Considering that this is from the GT3 manual, I consider it pathetic. But, please, the post is about the M3 that in large part depending on this question I may or may not get.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

^^^ thats crazy you cant track ur P-car. You would think a car built for it would allow you..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
The answer to that depends on a lot of variables, but the two most compelling are, your dealer's attitude, and modifications to the car, if any. If the car is totally stock, then you should be okay, partly because the dealer will not necessarily be aware of track use. If you roll in on Hoosiers, a roll bar, after-market suspension and brakes, and racing seats, you should consider your warranty gone. Obviously, those are two extremes, but it's hard to say with any certainty. I believe you will find warranty exclusions for any racing or competition activity. The typical DE weekend activity should not, per se, cause you problems, but again, much depends on the dealer.
There have been several good responses to your inquiry, but, the one quoted above provides solid guidance. Irrespective of what is (or is not) stated in the manual regarding tracking your car, your warranty can be voided for doing so. In short, be reasonable with your mods, know your dealer and remove/conceal evidence that you track your car. Good luck!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Interesting feedback. Is there anything written in any of the materials I can download or see at the dealer? What about the lease contract?

I know that "don't ask don't tell policy often works" but what if I blow my unmodified motor at a track event?

Anyway, I am looking for wording from a manual I do not have. Here is a quote from the GT3 manual:

warranty."

Is there similiar statement in any of the BMW M3 documentation? I am hoping that BMW excludes racing and competition but stops of going as far as Porsche has gone and saying "or track use". Considering that this is from the GT3 manual, I consider it pathetic. But, please, the post is about the M3 that in large part depending on this question I may or may not get.
How about you read the material and tell us rather than rely on a bunch of heresay on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

How would they even know
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

BMW endorses track use. Here is the page of the manual (NA version). Warranties in NA are not affected by non competition track use. Despite the language above I nearly positive Porsche has the same policy.
Attached Images

| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #13
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
BMW endorses track use. Here is the page of the manual (NA version). Warranties in NA are not affected by non competition track use. Despite the language above I nearly positive Porsche has the same policy.
Srry what page is this on - I need to laminate it...lmao j/k

I would still love to know the page
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Srry what page is this on - I need to laminate it...lmao j/k

I would still love to know the page
Might vary by manual and depending on DCT or 6MT. I have the pdf listed as "Online Edition for Part no. 01 41 0 014 962 - © 02/08 BMW AG". In this one it is page 130.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Might vary by manual and depending on DCT or 6MT. I have the pdf listed as "Online Edition for Part no. 01 41 0 014 962 - © 02/08 BMW AG". In this one it is page 130.
Found it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #16
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

I would worry more about your insurance. Most common road policies don't cover track events. I just bore witness to this tragic oversight last January when a Gallardo owner put himself into the backside of an RX-8.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Here is a quote from the GT3 manual:

warranty."
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Seadog
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911 GTS

Direct from BMW UK....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW.pdf (95.2 KB, 203 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:

warranty."

operative word there is "during". Having driven a GT3 straight from Stuttgart to the Nurburgring and then tracking it every month for 2 years, Porsche definitely stands behind their vehicles and track use. There is no doubt there is higher wear and tear on a car in track conditions not to mention abuse that can happen. if you break it on the track, its your responsibility. and considering they just campaigned a stock road going RS on the 24hr of the Nurburgring and not only finished but finished 4th in their class and 13th overall, i think porsche is pretty confident on their shit working reliably.

as for BMW covering vehicles that have been tracked. YMMV. its entirely dependent on the dealership and your relationship with said dealership. i would find one that supports the local chapter of the BMW CCA. Thats usually a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
Mnut
Germanized
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm View Post
I am not so sure, I took my car ONCE for a track event - in a B group with an instructor in tow. The rotors warped (I paid for fixing the pads), I also had 10k plus miles - I thought it might be a good idea to give BMW feedback about their rotors having pad material stuck to them.. you know.. coming from a p-car.. generally companies are happy about getting feedback.. In BMW NA's case, they flagged my car (with all sorts of incorrect information) and now it is a pain to get even routine maint work on it.. no luck trying to get BMW to remove it.

If you do take the car, make sure you cover your plates and VIN... .and don't post any pictures.. and remove any evidence when you give for service. .whatever you do don't give them feedback..
sorry to hear about what happened to you. I just don't understand why a company that is smart enough to figure out how to build an amazing car but cant seem to know how to retain the hardcore customers that they attract . I might try a P car next if I start tracking more often ..I just dont want the headaches
Ultimate Racing DP's
Intercooler???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #21
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
when i said what i said i was assuming you would be able to figure out that if a component fails during track use then thats your responsibility. Thats common info. But if you use the car on the road more than 90% of the time and anything goes south, you will most likely be covered.
      05-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #22
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm View Post
I am not so sure, I took my car ONCE for a track event - in a B group with an instructor in tow. The rotors warped
I doubt it. This is a common misconception when you feel vibrating brakes following an aggressive use of brakes. The problem is uneven distribution of brake pad materiel on your rotors as a result of not bedding the pads on the rotors properly. All you really need is a paint/rust stripping pad, a power drill, and some time. Following your reconditioning of your rotors, bed in your pads properly and you'll be fine.

David Brent
Appreciate 0