BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Exclamation M3 and free M class - take action!

So I am pulling this into its own thread so people can get involved if they want to on this issue.

In a previous thread there was some confusion about whether new M3 buyers would qualify for the 1 day M school class that is offered free to M5/M6 buyers.

I called the PCD school today and she confirmed what my CA had told me. M3s are not currently eligible for this benefit.

She did indicate they are hoping that might change. I asked how we might influence that decision in our favor, and she said to let your CA/dealership know since it will help them put pressure on BMW to maybe change the policy.

I am also going to send an email to customer service (link is on the Owner's Circle page).

I encourage any of you who would like to have this option available to do the same.

NOTE: This benefit extends to any new owner up to a year from the date you receive your car. So even if you have already taken possession of your new M3, the school indicated you could take the class for free if they changed the policy.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

They only do it for the m5/m6. I don't think it is going to change for the m3 regardless of how many people tell their CAs. maybe i'm being cynical.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
They only do it for the m5/m6. I don't think it is going to change for the m3 regardless of how many people tell their CAs. maybe i'm being cynical.
I hear you. I would probably not have bothered to post if the woman at the PCD hadn't been so forth coming about it being somewhat up in the air vs. just telling me - it is not going to happen. I already have a paid reservation slot, and she was kind of hinting I should wait.

So I have some small hope. But not a lot. But one thing I do know, is that companies do listen to customers, and the more feedback they get, the more likely they are to at least consider it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadOn View Post
So I am pulling this into its own thread so people can get involved if they want to on this issue.

In a previous thread there was some confusion about whether new M3 buyers would qualify for the 1 day M school class that is offered free to M5/M6 buyers.

I called the PCD school today and she confirmed what my CA had told me. M3s are not currently eligible for this benefit.

She did indicate they are hoping that might change. I asked how we might influence that decision in our favor, and she said to let your CA/dealership know since it will help them put pressure on BMW to maybe change the policy.

I am also going to send an email to customer service (link is on the Owner's Circle page).

I encourage any of you who would like to have this option available to do the same.

NOTE: This benefit extends to any new owner up to a year from the date you receive your car. So even if you have already taken possession of your new M3, the school indicated you could take the class for free if they changed the policy.

Cheers.
It's pointless to make an issue of this. It's not a big deal. BMW is having a hard enough time pricing the M3 competitively thanks to the weak sauce US dollar, we certainly can't expect them to give us any more freebies. The M School simply was not built into the the M3's pricing structure. The M3's base is a very affordable $55k and BMW is already the last euro make to still graciously offer us free maintenance for the first 50k miles. The M5/M6 has a base price of $30-40k more and are produced in significantly less numbers, so it makes sense to include M School in the pricing.

So why are people complaining? Why are people expecting more handouts? If you really want to go to M School, just pay for it and go then. Either that or buy an M5/M6. The M3 is already one hell of a bargain and the last thing we need is for BMW to start reconsidering US pricing which may even put the BMW Ultimate service program (free maintenance) at risk of being removed from the pricing structure of future BMWs.

Let's be thankful people. We basically have the lowest pricing of the new M3 in the world already and it comes with free scheduled maintenance. We shouldn't be complaining about not getting some driving school for free that doesn't even cost that much to begin with if you pay for it on your own. Better yet, attend an HPDE with a local BMW CCA chapter. For roughly $400-500, you can learn how to drive your own M3 in a fun, safe, and friendly environment.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
It's pointless to make an issue of this. It's not a big deal. BMW is having a hard enough time pricing the M3 competitively thanks to the weak sauce US dollar, we certainly can't expect them to give us any more freebies. The M School simply was not built into the the M3's pricing structure. The M3's base is a very affordable $55k and BMW is already the last euro make to still graciously offer us free maintenance for the first 50k miles. The M5/M6 has a base price of $30-40k more and are produced in significantly less numbers, so it makes sense to include M School in the pricing.

So why are people complaining? Why are people expecting more handouts? If you really want to go to M School, just pay for it and go then. Either that or buy an M5/M6. The M3 is already one hell of a bargain and the last thing we need is for BMW to start reconsidering US pricing which may even put the BMW Ultimate service program (free maintenance) at risk of being removed from the pricing structure of future BMWs.

Let's be thankful people. We basically have the lowest pricing of the new M3 in the world already and it comes with free scheduled maintenance. We shouldn't be complaining about not getting some driving school for free that doesn't even cost that much to begin with if you pay for it on your own. Better yet, attend an HPDE with a local BMW CCA chapter. For roughly $400-500, you can learn how to drive your own M3 in a fun, safe, and friendly environment.
Have you driven a E92 M3? I think your opinion would change if you had your hands wrapped around one. I am going to track mine because I can careless what happens to the car. But I believe most people here use these cars as there primary driver and baby them so they want to drive the crap out of someone else's M3... Second that track in SC is sick and would be sweet to drive this car on the same track the pro's have.

I believe the M5/M6 school is free for E92 M3 owners because they don't have the M3 available.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
Have you driven a E92 M3? I think your opinion would change if you had your hands wrapped around one. I am going to track mine because I can careless what happens to the car. But I believe most people here use these cars as there primary driver and baby them so they want to drive the crap out of someone else's M3... Second that track in SC is sick and would be sweet to drive this car on the same track the pro's have.

I believe the M5/M6 school is free for E92 M3 owners because they don't have the M3 available.
Yes, I've driven an E92 M3 and will track mine as well when I get it. I track all my cars, even the big heavy M5. It's a blast and people should experience it at least once. But that's not my point. I'm just saying that including M School in the M3's price just doesn't make sense due to the larger production numbers and lower cost of the cars. BMW would suffer financially and will either have to raise the base price of the M3 or find other things to omit (like I mentioned before, Ultimate service). I think it's a great idea for people to attend M School so that they don't have to abuse their own cars. But if you don't have an M5/M6, you'll just have to pay for it. So what. It would be worth it. I attended the M School program that came with my M5 and it was still fun even if you're already a track junkie.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I talked to the school she made it sound like the M3 owners can take the M5/M6 school for free... Maybe we should clear that up with them..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:

First, I am not complaining. Second, the school indicated they are already considering it, so more customer interest would help. Third, I wouldn't worry too much about BMW's profits. BMW is more than capable of making a business decision about whether they can afford to offer this or not. And as for asking for "freebies" vs. paying - I already mentioned I am signed up to take the full price class. And I bought the car with no promises that this is included. But if BMW is gaging interest on offering the same benefits as the M5/M6 then I want them to know I would be interested.

If you don't want the class, then that is fine. I am only throwing this out there for those who might be interested.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

This would be an amazing opportunity. I feel it's something that all drivers of high performance cars should undergo as there is a severe lack of car control skills and understanding in the US. I advocate that all new drivers go to car control clinics which IMO are substantially more valuable than the standard driving lessons.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Although we can't get the M School for free with an M3 purchase, we can take delivery (or re-delivery for some of us ED folks) at PCD and get some managed time on the course

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Better yet, attend an HPDE with a local BMW CCA chapter. For roughly $400-500, you can learn how to drive your own M3 in a fun, safe, and friendly environment.
+1000.

And for $400-$500 you get a whole weekend of driving with excellent instructors. I can't recommend any more highly the BMW CCA driver's school. It is truly the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
This would be an amazing opportunity. I feel it's something that all drivers of high performance cars should undergo as there is a severe lack of car control skills and understanding in the US. I advocate that all new drivers go to car control clinics which IMO are substantially more valuable than the standard driving lessons.
+1 Teenagers especially.

Last edited by skierman64; 04-17-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
What?
      04-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
M3Kevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
What is the 1st VIN number for the M3's?

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
What?
That's what I understood when I called. She said we have one year to do it from the date of purchase. I may have been misunderstanding but I believe thats what she said.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Well if the M5/M6 school is free for M3 owners, I'm sure they'll be a flood of us going. Let us know if you find this to be true. That'd be awesome.
      04-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
This is what I clarified with her today: The M school (offered to M5/M6 owners) is currently NOT free for M3 owners. That might change, but for now if you want to attend as an M3 owner you would just sign up and pay for the 1 or 2 day course.

Or as others have mentioned you can get PCD and get an afternoon of track driving when you pick up your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I think a friendly letter to BMWNA from each of us interested in changing this policy would be helpful in persuading them to make some sort of accomodation.

Maybe not a totally free day course, but a subsidized fee? That wouldn't be too much to ask IMHO.

Of course I believe all M cars should come with an M day.. they should figure out how to work that into the experience of owning an M Car. I think it would help with customer loyalty and draw more attention (via marketing) to the //M world.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kevin View Post
What is the 1st VIN number for the M3's?
US models or World wide?

I beleive the US VINs started about 39000 or so. I haven't seen one that is in the 38000s.
      04-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

It's not really a driving school. It's called the M-Driving Experience. Two nights at their local hotel and all meals. Airfare not included.
It's similar to the 6-Driving Experience that I participated in when I picked up my 6-series in 2004.
You get some chalk-talk, then drive around on the skid-pad, some autocrossing. The 6 Driving Experience also included a second day at a local resort/spa, Grove Park Inn, in Ashville, NC. But I think they got rid of that part and now have more time driving in Spartanburg.
With the M Driving Experience, I believe they have all their M cars to drive. I'm going May 28.
Since it's called the "M Driving Experience", I assumed M3 buyers are also included, but I could be wrong.