BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

ESS VT1 and ESS VT2 - air intake construction

Hi,

I'm in the market of buying a ESS VT1 SC kit for my M3 ( mid term, I likely will move to NYC first ).

I see big improvement potential for the cold air intake. Wouldn't it be possible to construct an air intake duct where the filter element is located higher and fits 100 % in this new duct ? The filter element should not be visible at all, IMO.

I would appreciate Roman chiming in, as well as in the ESS VT1 vs ESS VT2 - IAT's http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384858 temps thread.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Eugen
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

The efficiency of the ESS kit is keeping intake air temps as low as possible. Most definately lower than other kits.
Any intake system that has the air filter/box inside the engine bay will suffer heat soak.

I have asked already as I also am not crazy about seeing the filter, however it performs better this way.

There is no space further up inside the front bumper in air duct/box space due to the headlight getting in the way.

I am thinking of putting a grill over the air ducts to at least decrease visibility and at least protect the filter from debris etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

I was wondering the same, I live in canada so we get a lot of snow and in the summer rain. With the filter being so low, won't it get wet and does it have an impact if it gets wet, ie filtering abilities?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
I was wondering the same, I live in canada so we get a lot of snow and in the summer rain. With the filter being so low, won't it get wet and does it have an impact if it gets wet, ie filtering abilities?
i was worried about this also but i later found out that the filter is inside a waterproof cloth like material ..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I've driven in some really really bad rain and storms splashing through puddles etc
No problems at all. It works for me so I am not too concerned with it
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
Rain will not have a detriment on performance. The only way to run into trouble is to submerge the entire air filter in water for an extended period of time, which would put the water level past your wheel's center line.

As you can see in this diagram, the factory intake system also uses the driver's side lower duct to draw intake air, and even the driver's side hood vent is open to incoming air:

05-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Move to Hawaii
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Rain will not have a detriment on performance. The only way to run into trouble is to submerge the entire air filter in water for an extended period of time, which would put the water level past your wheel's center line.

As you can see in this diagram, the factory intake system also uses the driver's side lower duct to draw intake air, and even the driver's side hood vent is open to incoming air:

I know in stock form this isn't an issue, but I was wondering this for the ess supercharger kit where the air filter is in the driver lower air duct.

Would it be drivable in the winter? what would happen if it was packed with snow for example?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

It would probably not be to good if the duct got packed shut.. But anything up to that point would not be a big deal... And really being packed shut would still not be a huge problem but might hurt the cfm flow.. But it also be cold as $H!T so dense air flowing through you OUTER COOLER.. Actually some one with a supercharger and snow should test on a dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

For a supercharger system to make the most power it can it first needs to have access the lowest IAT possible. The best source of cool air is the front of the vehicle away from the heat of the engine bay. The decision to run our air intake system in the location we did was based on function not style. The filter we use is large and when placed correctly draws air in from above, below and in the middle of the drivers side air duct. If the air duct was covered for some reason by a block of snow or a small wild animal the filter would still have access to air. The K&N filter can be exposed to moisture without issue and with the optional water resistant filter wrap there is no need to worry about running the vehicle in regions with a high annual rainfall. We have used this same design on our E46 M3 applications for years with no issues.
Appreciate 1