BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
This is a functional, adjustable splitter not another cosmetic offering from Vorsteiner et al. If it's anything like the adjustable splitter offered for the E36 M3, it definitely makes a difference.
Agreed. I believe you'd have to do the aero as a package to maintain stability. BMW designed the current M3 in this way for it to be stable and the GTS as well. it'd be like taking Schumacher's arms and saying you're amazing at F1 now. You don't have the rest of him to complete the package. (like the insane neck muscles).
      11-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
This is a functional, adjustable splitter not another cosmetic offering from Vorsteiner et al. If it's anything like the adjustable splitter offered for the E36 M3, it definitely makes a difference.
Yes it would make a difference at race speeds that were sustained for long periods of time. Even so, it would not dangerously upset the balance of the car. Even if you adjusted it for the max downforce it could provide its not like that will cause the car to fly of the road on turn in or something. For normal everyday street driving, which 98% of the poeple on this forum use their M3s for, it would not make a spec of difference and would be purely cosmetic.
      11-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Yes it would make a difference at race speeds that were sustained for long periods of time. Even so, it would not dangerously upset the balance of the car. Even if you adjusted it for the max downforce it could provide its not like that will cause the car to fly of the road on turn in or something. For normal everyday street driving, which 98% of the poeple on this forum use their M3s for, it would not make a spec of difference and would be purely cosmetic.
I remember reading plenty of instances with E36 owners that were experiencing loose rear ends at highway speed, and of course loss of control on the track.

We're both making assumptions on this since this product isn't available yet. Someone will undoubtedly put this on their car without a rear spoiler, and I'm looking forward to what the impressions/results will be (the piece certainly looks good).

I'm also curious to see what the price will be on this item - OEM or reproduction. The E36 splitter was pretty involved since it actually mounted to the frame of the car to provide proper support. Turner show the unit mounted, but I'm trying to find a diagram of the full kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #26
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We're both making assumptions on this since this product isn't available yet.
True. Looking at the pics...even considering if it had a significant range of adjustablility.....I do not see how it can offer dramatically more downforce than some of the bolt on lips that are already available for our cars. Anyway...we will see. I'd say it is more likely one would lose control of the car from driving without DSC than from having this splitter on without the rear wing.

But going back to your original statement that using this splitter would upset a car going 100+ mph and considering that by controlling the fore/aft downforce ratio of a vehicle, one is attempting to improve handling (performance in the turns), how many of us are going to drive 100+ on the street and through turns at that speed no less? Very few sane people. So I was simply saying that for street/cosmetic application I think the car would be fine with the GTS splitter
      11-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #27
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Not if you drive the ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
True. Looking at the pics...even considering if it had a significant range of adjustablility.....I do not see how it can offer dramatically more downforce than some of the bolt on lips that are already available for our cars. Anyway...we will see. I'd say it is more likely one would lose control of the car from driving without DSC than from having this splitter on without the rear wing.

But going back to your original statement that using this splitter would upset a car going 100+ mph and considering that by controlling the fore/aft downforce ratio of a vehicle, one is attempting to improve handling (performance in the turns), how many of us are going to drive 100+ on the street and through turns at that speed no less? Very few sane people. So I was simply saying that for street/cosmetic application I think the car would be fine with the GTS splitter

Not if you drive the ring 100 laps a year!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #28
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3urger328i View Post
I couldn't imagine how you must feel. Glad I'm not part of that crowd!
It could be worse! I could be driving a 328

jk of course. the E90 still doesn't have a reasonably priced diffuser and probably won't for quite some time so that's probably the only real complaint I can have.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #29
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Not if you drive the ring 100 laps a year!
LOL! True. Oh how I wish I had that problem to deal with
      09-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #30
detoxvolcano
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

need parts
Appreciate 0