BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #23
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
1,200 mile update - I think this is where it's going to stay. I think it's very tolerable for a daily driver.

When do you notice the extra stiffness? - When you first start moving in reverse or forward in 1st with no throttle. There is extra vibration and engine noise. If you maintain the idle speed or give it just a little gas the moderate vibration is essentially gone. The only other thing you will notice is the harmonics that this motor has between 1,600 to about 18-1900 rpm is more pronounced in any gear, even top gear.

Benefits- smoother shifts at moderate to large throttle openings (this is noticeable), more direct feel of the driveline. Haven't been to the track yet, but I thinking it will be even more noticeable there.
Interested to hear more about the bold part. Is it obtrusive? High pitched? Low pitched?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #24
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Been reading up on motor mounts for the E9x M3 and luckily they are backwards compatible with the e46m so we have their aftermarket and expertise to plunder.

* The vibra-technics seem to develop NVH issues over a relatively short time span due to the exposed rubber portion deteriorating rapidly. This has led to complaints about VT customer support from customers trying to get replacement parts so a lot of e46m owners running them are looking for the next big thing.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...27164&page=117

* BFI seems to build high quality rebuildable units but info is a bit scarce:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=477489

http://store.blackforestindustries.c...bmwe3m3en.html

* I'd personally hold out for Rogue Engineering's new rebuildable mount which should be seeing a release within next few months. Looks to alleviate some of the isolation issues the VTs experience over time.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=483004
Attached Images

Last edited by Shredicus; 01-28-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #25
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Thanks for the heads-up on the Vibra-tech mount. So far, I am very happy with it and there is no addition NVH that I can tell besides the minor vibration at the lowest idling speed. The link that showed the problem seem to be the VT tranny mount though? Colin did mention the earlier version of the VT engine mount has problem but it has been resolved now. Will keep an eye on my mount and also the up and coming RE ones. Looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #26
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Interested to hear more about the bold part. Is it obtrusive? High pitched? Low pitched?

If you are wondering about what I'm talking about, start your car, leave it in park or neutral and hold the engine speed at 1,600 or so and you will feel the engine shake a bit, almost like there's a missfire or spark plug that's fouled. No extra noise, just the vibration, that's it. Goes away above or below that engine speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #27
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If you are wondering about what I'm talking about, start your car, leave it in park or neutral and hold the engine speed at 1,600 or so and you will feel the engine shake a bit, almost like there's a missfire or spark plug that's fouled. No extra noise, just the vibration, that's it. Goes away above or below that engine speed.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I thought you meant an audible harmonic. Noise is a pain; vibration I can deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #28
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am afraid you have to accept some with stiffer motor mounts. Tolerable is great for a toy, but not for my cruiser and my E90M3 is my cruiser. My turbo E36M3 has Vorshlag poly mounts and is tolerable. Since my wife does not want to ride in it, I can't compromise my cruiser or she will complain and I will be driving around in her wagon.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #29
bmwfst1
Pwrdbym
United_States
Rep
Drives: red 2010 bmwm3

engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Yea I use these, which you do indeed get some nice engine feedback through steering wheel and seat. Which I really like, feel more in touch with the car.
When I replaced my rear diff mounts with soild the race shop said would be a good idea to go with upgraded engine mounts to prevent extra strain being put on the squishy OEM ones. They do it for a living so took them at their word and don't regret it.

hi what transmission mounts do you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #30
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I have over 20,000 miles now on the Bimmerworld mounts. They are great. Very slight increase in vibration through the steering wheel and chassis, but no additional noise. I like it because you can just feel the engine idle through the steering wheel. If I had to do again, I would choose these mounts. No need to spend more $$ for something fancier.
Appreciate 2
aus891.50
M3MPH1S592.00
      06-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I have over 20,000 miles now on the Bimmerworld mounts. They are great. Very slight increase in vibration through the steering wheel and chassis, but no additional noise. I like it because you can just feel the engine idle through the steering wheel. If I had to do again, I would choose these mounts. No need to spend more $$ for something fancier.
I have had BW mounts in for about 1000mi now and can second everything you've said in the thread. I've already grown to love that you can feel the engine thrum through the steering wheel. It syncs up nicely with the exhaust burble and adds a whole new tactile element. I should add that I did BW ftab monoballs, solid subframe and poly diff bushings at the same time so even with these others less compliant components in play it's still very livable.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
I have had BW mounts in for about 1000mi now and can second everything you've said in the thread. I've already grown to love that you can feel the engine thrum through the steering wheel. It syncs up nicely with the exhaust burble and adds a whole new tactile element. I should add that I did BW ftab monoballs, solid subframe and poly diff bushings at the same time so even with these others less compliant components in play it's still very livable.
Oh yes, the FTABs are awesome as well. They add zero NVH
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #33
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Looking to return my OEM motor mounts in favor of the BWs because of this thread

Are all of you that are running BW still on OEM transmission mounts?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #34
shrimp_chips
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 ZCP

I think the OEM mounts are like the clutch..OEM is probably the best option. My mounts were toast around 65k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Looking to return my OEM motor mounts in favor of the BWs because of this thread

Are all of you that are running BW still on OEM transmission mounts?
I am. If BW built a tranny mount I'd be on that, but they always say engine mounts should be stiffer than tranny mounts if they aren't the same so I've just left OEMs

Besides, the engine mounts on both my cars were cracked or cracking with 30k and 36k miles, however, the tranny mounts looked brand new
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp_chips View Post
I think the OEM mounts are like the clutch..OEM is probably the best option. My mounts were toast around 65k miles.
Unless you are tracking, the only reason I see to go with the BW ones is to not have failure so quickly. The OEMs just get destroyed and getting to them is a lot of labor
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #37
shrimp_chips
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Unless you are tracking, the only reason I see to go with the BW ones is to not have failure so quickly. The OEMs just get destroyed and getting to them is a lot of labor
I'm not sure those aftermarket units are any better. I'm comfortable with knowing I'll at least get 50k+ out of the oem replacements.
Appreciate 0