BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

06-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #67
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
Mine did it w/o problems. FWIW: Shifts feel better than before the service.
Great news man. Hey, can you give us more details, please ? Which oil did you use? How much did you pour in? How many miles on your car and in what condition old oil came out? Did you clean the filter? Did you fill oil with the car lifted or on the ground? It has to be flat. I plan to only raise it from the front to drain it, install tube to fill it, then lower car to the ground, fill, when fluid starts coming out, lift car again and reinstall fill plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
Turns out I didn't have the two qts of RP, so I ordered some Red Line. Will change it this weekend.
Keep us posted please. Which Redline oil did you order? I asked the main guy there, and surprisingly he suggested D4ATF, which I thought was crazy. He said it was closer to stock than MTL, but I'd probably use MTL myself. Just curious. Oh, and how many miles on your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #68
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
So how did it go!?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #69
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Great news man. Hey, can you give us more details, please ? Which oil did you use? How much did you pour in? How many miles on your car and in what condition old oil came out? Did you clean the filter? Did you fill oil with the car lifted or on the ground? It has to be flat. I plan to only raise it from the front to drain it, install tube to fill it, then lower car to the ground, fill, when fluid starts coming out, lift car again and reinstall fill plug.
It was my 1200mi service, the dealer did it. My invoice lists: qty: 3 #83-22-0-406-941 1/2 Liter.

Though now I'm concerned because Qty 3 of 1/2l would only be 1.5l... Where as people are saying the official amount is 1.8x.

Last edited by Alex1911; 06-19-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #70
Slpnbyu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
It was my 1200mi service, the dealer did it. My invoice lists: qty: 3 #83-22-0-406-941 1/2 Liter.

Though now I'm concerned because Qty 3 of 1/2l would only be 1.5l... Where as people are saying the official amount is 1.8x.
Just had my 1200 mile service yesterday and there are 4 on mine.
/// '04 E46 M3 : Mystic Blue/Black /// SOLD
/// '00 E46 323Ci : Titanium Silver/Grey /// SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #71
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpnbyu View Post
That's no good, guess I'm calling them Monday.

Anyone think I should be a hard-ass and tell them to redo the tranny service or just get them to add some? Cleaning of the filter/screen isn't mentioned on my service invoice. I've driven about 140mi since the service performed w/ .6l low.

Last edited by Alex1911; 06-19-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #72
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've driven about 140mi since the service performed w/ .6l low.
Doubt it's low man. More likely they didn't drain it long enough, so it took less fluid. But I'd just ask if an M-certified tech did the work, since there's a weird procedure to check oil level (do a search for instructions).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #73
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpnbyu View Post
There shouldn't be. Unless something changed, the official, no-shit capacity of the diff is 1.1 liters. I took 3 to my dealer when I did my 1200 mile service and I got one bottle back with .4 liters left in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #74
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We're discussing the manual tranny fluid level... Not the engine oil or diff fluid.

Per this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129886 it's 2.1l of tranny fluid.

I'm not disagreeing, but I want to make sure it's done right and I'm not driving around minus .6l of tranny fluid... Especially since I'm enjoying the M button and driving the car fairly hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #75
johnnyace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post

Keep us posted please. Which Redline oil did you order? I asked the main guy there, and surprisingly he suggested D4ATF, which I thought was crazy. He said it was closer to stock than MTL, but I'd probably use MTL myself. Just curious. Oh, and how many miles on your car?
Used Red Line D4ATF. The Royal Purple guys said their Syncromax is closest to OEM. The Red Line guys said their MTL is for the older BMW trannies. Red Line also said Syncromax is like the MTL. Red Line recommended D4ATF for my E92 M3.

Car has 24k. Old fluid looked OK. Filter was clean. Drained it all out, flushed through some new D4ATF, installed drain plug, filled it until it overflowed the filler. Had car level on my 4 post lift.

One word on the fresh fluid...SMOOOOOOTH.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #76
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
One word on the fresh fluid...SMOOOOOOTH.
Thanks for the update man . Guess that's the right fluid then; I'll probably use the same. Did you measure how much oil came out, and how much did you put in? Did you happen to check the level with your pinkie before draining ? Did you start the engine before checking level (as SM suggests) or not? Wondering how accurate is the 1.8-qt figure. Hope that doesn't include the cooler. The T56 Tremec needs 4.6 qts; 1.8 seems ridiculous to me.

You used the word 'flush', but I'm sure you just did a drain and refill, correct?

Depending on your answer, I might order 4 qts of D4ATF sooner rather than in a year. Why 4? Because with the cooler fluid still there, I'll probably do a second oil change a year later to reduce the percentage of old fluid. Just did myself my annual oil change at 4.4K miles, so I should have less than 10K at the 2-yr anniversary. And yes, I know I could have gotten the oil change for free, but don't want dealer touching my car unless absolutely necessary.

Hey, can you recall if the tranny feels better than when new? Is it less notchy when cold? Give us the details buddy . I want to make sure the benefits outweigh the risk. And by risk I mean the possibility of losing the warranty due to a non-OEM fluid when BMW pays for service. Comments welcome.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-25-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #77
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I want to make sure the benefits outweigh the risk. And by risk I mean the possibility of losing the warranty due to a non-OEM fluid when BMW pays for service. Comments welcome.
How would they ever know? Unless they test the fluid... If RL or RP indeed produce a smoother tranny as some have commented, I'd be real interested in using that.

Mine is back to being notchy again and maybe a bit more so than pre-1200mi service. It was nice for a week though, I think they under filled mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #78
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
can down shifting hurt the break in if u over rev not properly rev matching ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #79
Moe's M4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thanks for the info...

Nice to know that we all can share valuable information here, like the one you sent in below, John.

My 2010 M3 (6MT) just turned 1200 miles, and for that it will be service this week, but I'll ensure they perform what you listed below, per Service Bulletin.

I do appreciate you sharing this important issue.

Thank you John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
Hello!

I just wanted to drop out a line to all 6MT owners about the 1200 mile service visit-

I would like to make sure that everyone makes sure that the dealership of choice is changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the trans fluid filter. I think A LOT of dealerships are not changing the transmission fluid.

If you have not had your 1200 mile service yet, please make sure they do the following! Make sure you stress it to them-

If you have already had your 1200 mile service, please look at your service record to verify that the trans fluid was replaced. There should be parts billed out for trans fluid! If you do not see the parts billed out, then it probably was not done!

Here is the service bulletin that states the PROPER proceedure for the M3 1200 mile service-

Please make sure that your car was serviced right! Im just trying to help you guys/gals out!

-BMW service bulletin- SI B 00 04 08 -Maintenance and General Hints

M3

Reminder for operations needed at the 1200 Mile Service:

Replace the engine oil and oil filter

Replace the transmission oil on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit.

Note: The optional M DCT Drivelogic transmission has a long-term rated oil DCTF-1, which requires no replacement unless specified for a repair.

Remove and clean the transmission filter on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit

Replace the differential oil

Repeat these maintenance operations at every 3rd Engine Oil Service.

Note: For M3, M5 and M6 the 1200 Mile Service is counted as the "first" engine oil service. The engine oil nominal interval is approx. 15,000 miles (can vary per CBS). Therefore, the second time the engine oil needs to be changed would be when the vehicle reaches approx. 16,200 mi (1200 + 15,000) mi. Using the same nominal interval, the third oil service would be due at approx. 31,200 mi (actual miles based on CBS). That would coincide with the "Vehicle Check" maintenance operation.

No other models require the 1200 Mile Service. Therefore, all non-M models (except 335d) would need their first engine oil service at approx. 15,000 mi.

Note: The M3's engine air intake filter does NOT need to be replaced at the 1200 Mile Service. Its first scheduled change is at the Engine Oil Service occurring at approx. 16,200 miles, then only required at every other Engine Oil Service thereafter (i.e. at approx. 46,200 mi.).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #80
tudernos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 AW M3 Annabelle

I'm buying a CPO 2008 BMW M3 next week. It has 23,xxx miles on it. I don't know if the car has it serviced at 1,200 with this bulletin. If it dosn't can I still take it to the dealer and let them do it? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #81
Moe's M4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
Hello!

I just wanted to drop out a line to all 6MT owners about the 1200 mile service visit-

I would like to make sure that everyone makes sure that the dealership of choice is changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the trans fluid filter. I think A LOT of dealerships are not changing the transmission fluid.

If you have not had your 1200 mile service yet, please make sure they do the following! Make sure you stress it to them-

If you have already had your 1200 mile service, please look at your service record to verify that the trans fluid was replaced. There should be parts billed out for trans fluid! If you do not see the parts billed out, then it probably was not done!

Here is the service bulletin that states the PROPER proceedure for the M3 1200 mile service-

Please make sure that your car was serviced right! Im just trying to help you guys/gals out!

-BMW service bulletin- SI B 00 04 08 -Maintenance and General Hints

M3

Reminder for operations needed at the 1200 Mile Service:

Replace the engine oil and oil filter

Replace the transmission oil on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit.

Note: The optional M DCT Drivelogic transmission has a long-term rated oil DCTF-1, which requires no replacement unless specified for a repair.

Remove and clean the transmission filter on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit

Replace the differential oil

Repeat these maintenance operations at every 3rd Engine Oil Service.

Note: For M3, M5 and M6 the 1200 Mile Service is counted as the "first" engine oil service. The engine oil nominal interval is approx. 15,000 miles (can vary per CBS). Therefore, the second time the engine oil needs to be changed would be when the vehicle reaches approx. 16,200 mi (1200 + 15,000) mi. Using the same nominal interval, the third oil service would be due at approx. 31,200 mi (actual miles based on CBS). That would coincide with the "Vehicle Check" maintenance operation.

No other models require the 1200 Mile Service. Therefore, all non-M models (except 335d) would need their first engine oil service at approx. 15,000 mi.

Note: The M3's engine air intake filter does NOT need to be replaced at the 1200 Mile Service. Its first scheduled change is at the Engine Oil Service occurring at approx. 16,200 miles, then only required at every other Engine Oil Service thereafter (i.e. at approx. 46,200 mi.).
I just got my 1200 miles service completed (yesterday 08/12/10) on my 2010 BMW M3 6MT, and the invoice does shows that every item outlined on the BMW Service Bulletin SI-B-00-04-08 matched my completed M3 1200 miles service accordingly. The service was completed at Apple BMW of York, PA. Same place where I purchased my M3.

Thanks John, for providing us with this valuable service information...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #82
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudernos View Post
I'm buying a CPO 2008 BMW M3 next week. It has 23,xxx miles on it. I don't know if the car has it serviced at 1,200 with this bulletin. If it dosn't can I still take it to the dealer and let them do it? Thanks!
It should have had way more than just that service. At least one more at 15K, plus possible intermediate oil changes if any of those years were low-mileage. I guess if it's never been to an actual dealer for service those could have been skipped, but given that service is free I doubt that.

You (or the seller) could always ask your dealer to run the service history on it for you prior to closing.
      08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #83
tudernos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 AW M3 Annabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
It should have had way more than just that service. At least one more at 15K, plus possible intermediate oil changes if any of those years were low-mileage. I guess if it's never been to an actual dealer for service those could have been skipped, but given that service is free I doubt that.

You (or the seller) could always ask your dealer to run the service history on it for you prior to closing.
Well it has the regular oil change at the time the CBS has indicated. But I'm not exactly sure if it has the other maintenance done ie. diff fluid change, replace air intake, transmission fluid change, etc. Everything should be annotated under BMW system, correct? If so, I'm going to see if I can retain a copy to see what service they have done so far up to the current mileage. That way if certain things haven't been done will BMW still honor it and do the maintenance right away? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #84
ciantosca
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328iX & 2011 E90 M3

German dealer refused to change diff oil!

Ok so I am knee deep in European driving and finally hit 1200 miles while in Trier Germany. I bring the car in for my appointment and expect the German service advisor to know whats up - Wrong! After 30 minutes of discussions he tells me each M3 is different and they are only supposed to do an oil change for my cal not the differential as I requested. I mention I know for a fact the differential oil also needs to be changed. There is a bit of a language barrier but service adviser brings in tech and manager and they confirm on computer my car does not need diff service. I ask them out of curiosity at what point it needs flushing, they tell me never! I was not happy but decided since I had to pay 270 E for the oiil change that I would have the dealer do the diff service back in the states.

Anyone else ever hear of this? Why is this so difficult for dealers to get straight. I actually convinced myself I was crazy after an hour of trying to convince the entire German dealership staff I knew the cars maintenance better than they did. They kept asking me for the service book which I did not ever get.

After all the countless hours on here preparing for the service I still get screwed.
Anyone else deal with this?

Next stop was the ring for a few laps to break everything in properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #85
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

All you had to do was grab your service manual and show them what needed to be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #86
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

do I need give them my key fob to check to see if it was done correctly, or can they check it for me over the phone?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #87
JonnyBoost
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

i have 17,000 miles on the clock and just looked at the invoice and i don't think my car has had this done how bad do u guys think this is??

Last edited by JonnyBoost; 09-06-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #88
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoost View Post
i have 17,000 miles on the clock and just looked at the invoice and i don't think my car has had this done how bad do u guys think this is??
No way to know how bad it is...probably increased wear at least some appreciable amount. Same thing happened to me.

Have them change it now and explicitly state on the work order that they didn't change it properly at the 1200 mile service. If you have any issues with your tranny down the road, it will be on the dealership. If you want to take it a step further, you can ask to speak to the regional BMW rep and discuss your concerns with him. Don't let anyone brush it off as "no big deal". Even if it were "no big deal", it's not for them to determine.

Even more hilarious is that my dealer was not going to change the fluid for the 30k mile service either. I had to insist that it was the correct thing to do per the manual. Further, they went on to tell me - "well, we haven't been doing it for any other M3s". hahahaha - what a joke! Gotta love the incompetence on a 60k+ car.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0