BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

CSL open intake?

So I spotted this on the pics thread and had never seen a csl carbon fiber intake before but I saw that it was an open intake design and not a sealed design like most OEM ones. I would think this would heat soak just like any other open cone filter design. Anyone driven a csl or know whether or not they were prone to heat soak? And if not why and how can we find something similar for the e90s?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
An OEM CSL has a few methods of ducting that helps cool IATs and hopefully prevent heatsoak. I assume the fact that it's carbon fiber may help with ridding of heat quicker too.

A proper setup CF Airbox for the S54B32 should have enclosed ducting though, not opened. If you look at the BMW Motorsports Z4 GTR that runs the P54B32, it has a complete enclosed ducting solution that leads to the front bumper for more cold air intake. You can also look at Evolve Automotives CF Airbox and see that they have fully integrated a much more efficient and effective form of ducting compared to even OEM CSL Airboxes.

I have yet to see something similar for a street driven E9X M3. But for race application, you should see the Motorsports24 Airbox for the S65B50 or even the BMW Motorsports Z4 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
ixm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3x2

CSL Airbox

I can confirm without a doubt , that heat soak is not a problem with the CSL. It gets a ton of fresh air from the lower intake duct. Once you get on it, a flap on the end of the CF intake opens up to add more air and provides that intake roar.

I think one problem with running an entirely closed system is making sure that you get enough volume of air to the motor at high RPM. The longer the ducting, the harder this is to accomplish.
Appreciate 0