BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #375
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Test drives are important.

I didn't like the GTR, I didn't like the 6sp M3, but I did love the DCT M3 and that is what I bought.

My dealer let me drive a good half hour in my test drives of the M3. Not all dealer will but some do.

Would you buy everything in your life without trying it out if you had the chance to do so...let alone something as expensive as a car?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #376
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Test drives are important.

I didn't like the GTR, I didn't like the 6sp M3, but I did love the DCT M3 and that is what I bought.

My dealer let me drive a good half hour in my test drives of the M3. Not all dealer will but some do.

Would you buy everything in your life without trying it out if you had the chance to do so...let alone something as expensive as a car?

The point I was trying to make, which apparently has been really hard to grasp by some, is that you don't learn that much about a car in a test drive. You get to drive it down the road for a few miles, usually with a sales rep, never close to tapping into its potential. If that's biggest factor in your buying decision I say you haven't researshed the vehicle well enough.
Getting a real feel for a car takes a long time. Things that may at first seem ackward and uncomfortable become natural and balanced after using them for awhile.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #377
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
The point I was trying to make, which apparently has been really hard to grasp by some, is that you don't learn that much about a car in a test drive. You get to drive it down the road for a few miles, usually with a sales rep, never close to tapping into its potential. If that's biggest factor in your buying decision I say you haven't researshed the vehicle well enough.
Getting a real feel for a car takes a long time. Things that may at first seem ackward and uncomfortable become natural and balanced after using them for awhile.

Having the chance to drive it for some period of time on a test drive will at least confirm that the car doesn't suck or not what you expected. For some, that's more important than any research you can read or watch. To drive it around for 30 minutes is better than zero minutes.

The distorted reality you have is you are a dealers dream. You come in and drop a case full of money and it doesn't matter to you. The car isn't to your liking after a while, you're onto the next one. M6 two years ago, GTR last year, hmm...how about X6M this year. You have that luxury to throw your money around and I applaud that. Live it up I say. However, most people even with money would at least like to know something about what they are buying via real world use...for a car, that is a test drive. Nissan dealers not offering a test drive is bad customer service imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #378
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:

slight tangent-
Here's the SUV I ordered yesterday that I have never seen, let alone driven.
How did you order that when there are no options or pricing available yet in the USA?
      08-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #379
ronnie0738
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: godzilla

dealers do offer test drives after a credit check. it is a bit obsurd.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #380
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I completely understand what you're saying but I think you're fighting a losing battle trying to get some to agree.

What I understand is that while I test drive every car the short drive you get at reasonable speeds is pretty much only good for letting you know if you can or can't get a comfortable driving position. If the ride is too rough or if you find the seat comfortable.

You won't know what it's like as a performance car compared to another car you're test driving because you won't be tapping into it's abilities. I think you need to research every aspect and then use the test drive to completely eliminate a car if it's obnoxious to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #381
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
How did you order that when there are no options or pricing available yet in the USA?
Yes there are you just have to ask your BMW dealer.
Here are the price sheets and a couple of vehicles my dealer is bringing in.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X5 M Pricing 1.pdf (259.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf X5 M Pricing 2.pdf (188.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf 2010 X6 M.pdf (4.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: pdf 2010 X5 M - Carbon Black.pdf (4.4 KB, 107 views)

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #382
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Having the chance to drive it for some period of time on a test drive will at least confirm that the car doesn't suck or not what you expected. For some, that's more important than any research you can read or watch. To drive it around for 30 minutes is better than zero minutes.

The distorted reality you have is you are a dealers dream. You come in and drop a case full of money and it doesn't matter to you. The car isn't to your liking after a while, you're onto the next one. M6 two years ago, GTR last year, hmm...how about X6M this year. You have that luxury to throw your money around and I applaud that. Live it up I say. However, most people even with money would at least like to know something about what they are buying via real world use...for a car, that is a test drive. Nissan dealers not offering a test drive is bad customer service imo.

I thoroughly research the vehicles I buy and I resent the implication otherwise. It's not a distorted reality and I'm not some rube that a dealer can pawn off their crap.
As far as being able to jump from vehicle to vehicle, yeah I do have that luxury (at least for the time being). But I am completely uninterested in taking a huge chance on an unknown.
Buying a BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche is hardly a risky propostion if you've had their cars before.

-2017 Ford Raptor

Last edited by 991GT3; 08-17-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #383
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
I completely understand what you're saying but I think you're fighting a losing battle trying to get some to agree.
You're probably right

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #384
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
I completely agree that getting a real feel for a car takes a long time, but I won't buy a car without an extended test drive by myself. I spent a couple of hours each in the M3, C2S, and Cayman S before coming to a decision between the two. I was also strongly considering a 2007 AM Vantage, but ruled it out because the seller wasn't comfortable letting me drive it alone. It's not that I want to beat on or abuse the car I'm test driving, but you can't really focus on what you like and dislike about a car with the owner or sales person sitting next to you trying to make small talk the whole way. You can't relax and soak the car in. There's also many things about a car that research will never tell you.
      08-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #385
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Here you go. No need for research OR test drives anymore.
This little program was around when I was a kid and has just had new cars added so your all sorted.

Any technophobes should not go in as it's very technical and accurate. Pick the 2 cars to race and press play.

http://www.jsread.com/tvr/head2head.swf
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #386
1SLoE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

why would any one do this ti them selves on a BMW forum???? terrible choice....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #387
mkivbora
rubba duck squr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

i have a friend in dubai that has one and he just did twin turbo to it. he likes it a lot but he said that for stock performance it was nice from 0-100mph yet after that it just wasn't that fun. i have a video of us racing last year against the stage 4 hpf m3 the hood flies off ha ha.. heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HPFChris#p/u/35/v9Z7_84CFDY
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #388
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivbora View Post
i have a friend in dubai that has one and he just did twin turbo to it. he likes it a lot but he said that for stock performance it was nice from 0-100mph yet after that it just wasn't that fun. i have a video of us racing last year against the stage 4 hpf m3 the hood flies off ha ha.. heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HPFChris#p/u/35/v9Z7_84CFDY

So what did he do? Take them out and reinstall them so it would be twin turbo'd.....like every other GT R in the world?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #389
mkivbora
rubba duck squr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

So what did he do? Take them out and reinstall them so it would be twin turbo'd.....like every other GT R in the world?

sorry i left out that he went bigger turbos. and a re-map . he dyno's at 600hp+ . ill find video for proof ..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #390
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Now that I reflect back on it......If I had a second chance, I probably would have gone with the GT-R.

I get very jealous every time I see one in person, or on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #391
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Now that I reflect back on it......If I had a second chance, I probably would have gone with the GT-R.

Same here.
      11-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #392
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:

same, and they just blow our doors off performance wise.
And they are more fun to mod (if you have the balls)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #393
ej20t
Rep
Drives: wrx

May be my post will be out of date, but still:

Switzer P800 Nissan GT-R Breaks Quarter Mile Record – 10.193 ET
Word is in that Russan, Switzer P800 tuned, Nissan GT-R owner Oleg, has broken the world record for quarter mile ET when he ran 10.193

15.10.2009 record was set

PS: i am not the GTR fan, that's just naked fact.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #394
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Just get both.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #395
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionM3 View Post
Just get both.
That is always the civil solution.
      12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #396
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie0738 View Post
dealers do offer test drives after a credit check. it is a bit obsurd.
obsurd is spelled absurd

Anyways, has the OP decided yet on what car to pick?
Appreciate 0