BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #89
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Agree with fish jaws cat guy and snarf (wtf! haha.

Get it for $42k and a clean car fax and close the deal.
      12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #90
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep
Drives: F80 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
Another car to consider

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...06-katech.html

You shoulda just bought this ...guy dropped real cash into real mods
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ack-046-a.html
That first one looks good, but I cant stand that sub placement. Love the wheels though...if they were black. Waiting to hear back on the Lethal car...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #91
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Such a douche bag comment, and one of the reasons why M3 owners have the reputation of being exactly that. Not as pleasant? We are not talking about pleasantries here. Of course the z06 is not as pleasant as an M3. We are talking about a car that will rip you a new butt hole. The torque is intoxicating, something the M3 can't even hold a candle to. If you think your M3 has grip, wait until you drive a z06 at the track, it takes grip to a whole new level. The looks and interior are entirely subjective, so take them for what they are.

OP go drive one and you will forget about the e90 M3 very quickly. For a daily it would be a toss up really depending on your needs, but as a weekend/fun car you will be hard to find a better bargain. With the aforementioned modifications this car should be pushing a huge amount of power.
Just having a little fun here. I've had many muscle cars in my life and know what they can do. I've even installed a blower in one of them in my garage and know a thing or two about what torque feels like. I wouldn't buy a Z06 but I'd enjoy driving one for sure.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #92
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

And it just got bought locally...ugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #93
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Just having a little fun here. I've had many muscle cars in my life and know what they can do. I've even installed a blower in one of them in my garage and know a thing or two about what torque feels like. I wouldn't buy a Z06 but I'd enjoy driving one for sure.

I meant my comment in jest as well. Sometimes I grow tired of BMW owners (a group I am proudly part of) who think their cars are God's gift to humanity. The M3 is fantastic and one of it's many attributes is the fact that it is such a great performance car that also offers enough luxury and technology to appeal to anyone. For a "fun" weekend car I think the z06 has to be up there as one of the best bargains currently. Heck I think ANY C6 vette is hard to beat in it's respective price range.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #94
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Bummer OP. something else will pop up though. Maybe you already answered this but why did you get rid of your supercharged M? I remember you posted a couple of vids which seemed like you were really enjoying it
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #95
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

Z06 hands down. Although the M3 is a great car for everyday driver and I'm sure at the track its a great controllable car satisfying looks with a little speed. The Z06 will just put a big smile on your face. I sold my E92 M for a family SUV... leaving extra money to get another toy. I got the bug for speed again while looking for a Z06 I came across a 98 supra that I did a single turbo conversion and re tuned for 620 HP to the wheels. I can tell you I never think about my M much anymore this car is crazy strong and to think I was going to spend 10k on a supercharger only to get 500 hp and worry about blowing it every time I start the car. I can smack on this thing all day and only worry about tires. The Z06 is a great car all you have to do is drive it and you will be smilling ear to ear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #96
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN
Bummer OP. something else will pop up though. Maybe you already answered this but why did you get rid of your supercharged M? I remember you posted a couple of vids which seemed like you were really enjoying it
I got that urge. Lol. I think my mistake has been dealing with the same dealer that had the silver one I posted earlier. I didn't want my score to drop anymore so I hung in with the, ill find you one promise. I've given him one more opportunity on a yellow SC Z.
Then Ill flame his ass. Lol. I'm done with all this and I'm at the point where maybe I should just step back and take a breather.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #97
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

I'm done. Gonna give it a rest til the new year. Stay away from Capital Motors in WI, unless you just want to get strung along and miss out on car after car...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #98
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3silk View Post
Z06 hands down. Although the M3 is a great car for everyday driver and I'm sure at the track its a great controllable car satisfying looks with a little speed. The Z06 will just put a big smile on your face. I sold my E92 M for a family SUV... leaving extra money to get another toy. I got the bug for speed again while looking for a Z06 I came across a 98 supra that I did a single turbo conversion and re tuned for 620 HP to the wheels. I can tell you I never think about my M much anymore this car is crazy strong and to think I was going to spend 10k on a supercharger only to get 500 hp and worry about blowing it every time I start the car. I can smack on this thing all day and only worry about tires. The Z06 is a great car all you have to do is drive it and you will be smilling ear to ear.
It's plain insanity Toyota stopped making the Supra. They had the formula down, I just don't get it.
      12-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #99
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

I-6 is made for BOOST!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #100
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

i wish i could sell my m3 for what i want and get a z06 I really want one...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #101
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hey Mookster I'm not real familiar with the C6 Z06 but appreciate your posts here! Can you provide me more detail on the "you must get new exhaust valves and guides at least or you're asking for a lot of trouble" idea?

Is that a week spot on the Z06 or a failure point?

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
40 might be a bit rough...never know i guess...even @42k its a deal...

Notice on that car..Heads have been reworked with new ss valves,guides,springs,etc - this is a KEY with Z06...you must get new exhaust valves and guides at least or you're asking for a lot of trouble.

Last edited by dapopa9; 12-07-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #102
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

GM claims its not an issue but we have seen some Z06s with failed valves that basically can ruin your entire engine. This has been mainly seen on tracked cars with 20+ hours of track time.

GM still claims its less than 2%...You could somewhat compare this to the E46 M3 with Vanos failure. I'd compare to E9X M3 but i never owned one so really not sure if it has any failures?

If you're a trunk junky then it'd make sense to upgrade the exhaust valves and guides but might as well port the head at that point.

When i bought my Z06, i thought i'd never get bored of its power and woulndt mod the engine so i ended up buying GMPP warranty(fairly cheap, 5 years/75k miles for $1500).

It appears i was wrong on nod modding the engine lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Hey Mookster I'm not real familiar with the C6 Z06 but appreciate your posts here! Can you provide me more detail on the "you must get new exhaust valves and guides at least or you're asking for a lot of trouble" idea?

Thanks for the info!
CLint
      12-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #103
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
GM claims its not an issue but we have seen some Z06s with failed valves that basically can ruin your entire engine. This has been mainly seen on tracked cars with 20+ hours of track time.

GM still claims its less than 2%...You could somewhat compare this to the E46 M3 with Vanos failure. I'd compare to E9X M3 but i never owned one so really not sure if it has any failures?

If you're a trunk junky then it'd make sense to upgrade the exhaust valves and guides but might as well port the head at that point.

When i bought my Z06, i thought i'd never get bored of its power and woulndt mod the engine so i ended up buying GMPP warranty(fairly cheap, 5 years/75k miles for $1500).

Ok cool makes sense. Yeah I'm speaking from a track junky perspective. What is the typical cost of the exhaust valves, guides, port the head?

It also seems that a good idea is an upgrade to the oil sump/pump system to prevent the oil starvation issue in high G turns.

Are there any other issue that are common on the C6 Z06's that most track guys modify right away for reliability?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #104
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

Quote:
Ok cool makes sense. Yeah I'm speaking from a track junky perspective. What is the typical cost of the exhaust valves, guides, port the head?

It also seems that a good idea is an upgrade to the oil sump/pump system to prevent the oil starvation issue in high G turns.

Are there any other issue that are common on the C6 Z06's that most track guys modify right away for reliability?
If you get an 09+ Z06 you dont have to upgrade oil sump since they have bigger tank

Typical cost is roughly $1800 if you have WCCH port your heads with better exhaust valves and bronze guides. You could also get a set of PRC 265 heads for $3k(ported head, new Ti intake valves, new exhaust valves and guides) and then sell your stock heads for $1200 which nets about the same. Many have gone with this PRC option.

Im not aware of any other issues, perhaps get better brakes but from what i hear stock brakes do the job. I have pushed my car twice this summer on this 120 mile mountain road with crazy turns and brakes held up fine(it was 103+ degrees both days)
      12-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #105
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster

Quote:

Thanks for the info!
CLint
Which is why if I pick up that black one I showed you, before I get it here, it's going to ECS for head work and a cam. If they would buy the meth system, Ill have them take that off too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #106
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/3157063-fs-2008-black-ecs-scd-z06-8500-miles-mint.html

And customer is close enough to ECS that I can get more done before she comes home. Should know Monday!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #107
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Rein View Post
http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/3157063-fs-2008-black-ecs-scd-z06-8500-miles-mint.html

And customer is close enough to ECS that I can get more done before she comes home. Should know Monday!!!!
I'll be the first to admit, I started looking at his wife more than the car on those pages. hahaha. I would definitely take up his offer to get his wife to drive that car over to your house
      12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #108
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

I'm in the doghouse enough as it is...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #109
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Looks like a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #110
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

back to business, that car looks like a good price and is MINT. Good luck and get that puppy in the garage. Post picts after.