BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Great review! Making me rethink about a tune instead of a bms fix w/ACM TP
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDUS View Post
I know I could get a valvetronic exhaust... But I don't want that. A reasonable one losts like 3000€ which is nowhere near what I am willing to invest in stuff like that. If it's too loud with test pipes I might go back to a non-modded axle-back.
I have the test pipes with a straight through method on the OEM exhaust. Driving in the low RPM's the car sounds normal and almost quiet, if you keep the RPM's low. I have learned to keep them low during city driving. Once I mash the pedal its a different story.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
ChrisDUS
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
I have the test pipes with a straight through method on the OEM exhaust. Driving in the low RPM's the car sounds normal and almost quiet, if you keep the RPM's low. I have learned to keep them low during city driving. Once I mash the pedal its a different story.
Let's hope I can hear it on Sunday .
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Great review! Making me rethink about a tune instead of a bms fix w/ACM TP
I think it's worth it. Like Mike said, the tune is like the icing on the cake. I have to say I 100% agree with that.

Quote:
I think your idea of "quiet" is very different than most haha. Like I said, if you keep it at low RPM, it sounds like the ACM exhaust mod, which is considerably louder than OEM muffler. Add TP's to that, and you increase the volume a little at low RPM. Go over 3k and I'd say it's extremely loud.

It's definitely not for everyone this exhaust setup.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDUS View Post
Let's hope I can hear it on Sunday .
Will you be there? I will be there around 1000. That would be perfect time to here it and test the tune. If you would like I will let you get a behind the wheel experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I think your idea of "quiet" is very different than most haha. Like I said, if you keep it at low RPM, it sounds like the ACM exhaust mod, which is considerably louder than OEM muffler. Add TP's to that, and you increase the volume a little at low RPM. Go over 3k and I'd say it's extremely loud.

It's definitely not for everyone this exhaust setup.
Agreed but I will say at low RPM's in Germany it will keep the heads from turning in a negative way.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
ChrisDUS
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Will you be there? I will be there around 1000. That would be perfect time to here it and test the tune. If you would like I will let you get a behind the wheel experience.
Thanks for the offer . Not sure if I can make 10 am. Depending on the Saturday night activities, obviously . I'll try my best to make it.

Hopefully will have fitted my Michelin Cups by then...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
The s65 engine is designed to take a beating.
I love the way you can push it to the limits on daily basis and have no issues at all. I can understand where your doubts come from after paying out soo mi honey for the car but do a follow up many boosted m3 that go 100k plus without issues.
I don't want a tune for the street my car will be seeing some major track time. That is the my reasoning for the safety. 30 minute sessions of just redlining is a different story than some city driving with occasional bursts here and there.

I told myself that I wouldn't mess with the ECU on this car but all of this sounds tempting!

For me, I'm going track wheels/tires first, brake lines and suspension next, then upgraded brakes.

I want to do an exhaust mod just to be freaking loud though for no reason! aha
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Do the LSD and light wheels [and mike tune and ur car will feel like supercharged

QUOTE=pkim1079;13834109]I don't want a tune for the street my car will be seeing some major track time. That is the my reasoning for the safety. 30 minute sessions of just redlining is a different story than some city driving with occasional bursts here and there.

I told myself that I wouldn't mess with the ECU on this car but all of this sounds tempting!

For me, I'm going track wheels/tires first, brake lines and suspension next, then upgraded brakes.

I want to do an exhaust mod just to be freaking loud though for no reason! aha[/QUOTE]
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Glad you like your new found power W///, now all that is missing is the superchager!!

I'll be installing my test pipes probably next week, can't wait to drive the car with them!!

Man your car looks mint with those wheels!! I would love to see more pictures!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I don't want a tune for the street my car will be seeing some major track time. That is the my reasoning for the safety. 30 minute sessions of just redlining is a different story than some city driving with occasional bursts here and there.

I want to do an exhaust mod just to be freaking loud though for no reason! aha
Another thing that convinced me to jump on the BPM train was that the factory guards are still in place.

If you are not going to do test pipes and want a cheap solution, the exhaust mod is absolutely the way to go. S65 is such a glorious engine, and it's just too quiet for my taste stock. So there's absolutely a reason to be louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Glad you like your new found power W///, now all that is missing is the superchager!!

I'll be installing my test pipes probably next week, can't wait to drive the car with them!!

Man your car looks mint with those wheels!! I would love to see more pictures!!
Thanks for the kind words as always Alex! To be honest, I'll probably skip the supercharger (as tempting as it is). I really want this car to remain N/A, while I dream about a 997 Turbo. Always wanted this combo (911 + M3, N/A + Turbo).

The ZCP's did such a huge difference! I didn't mind the 220M's, but just can't imagine going back to them. I'm going to a car meet this Saturday, I'll get more pictures. How's your Plastidip holding up?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #34
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

My test pipes go on this friday!!!! No tune yet tho. Paychecks right around the corner though and I will be ordering this so soon. EEEEeEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very nice, W///! A tune and test pipes make a world of difference.

I recall a thread you posted a while back where you said you were thinking of dying your leather Cinnamon. As a fellow Sparkling Graphite owner I've been waiting to see that. Still in the works?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
My test pipes go on this friday!!!! No tune yet tho. Paychecks right around the corner though and I will be ordering this so soon. EEEEeEEEEEE!!!!!!!
You'll feel the difference right away, it's awesome! IMHO, it's worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Very nice, W///! A tune and test pipes make a world of difference.

I recall a thread you posted a while back where you said you were thinking of dying your leather Cinnamon. As a fellow Sparkling Graphite owner I've been waiting to see that. Still in the works?
Haha, yea the car has come a long way since that thread. Got ZCP's, TP's and a tune so I'm kind of satisfied with the car for now. Plus I decided I should find a cheap spare interior (most likely grey) for cheap rather than doing that to my original interior. My rear seats look like they've barely been sat on in 5 years.

However, if my front seats start wearing to where I need to fix them, I'm definitely going to do it. Sparkling Graphite on Cinnamon would be to die for. How about you? Interested in trying it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #37
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You'll feel the difference right away, it's awesome! IMHO, it's worth every penny.

Haha, yea the car has come a long way since that thread. Got ZCP's, TP's and a tune so I'm kind of satisfied with the car for now. Plus I decided I should find a cheap spare interior (most likely grey) for cheap rather than doing that to my original interior. My rear seats look like they've barely been sat on in 5 years.

However, if my front seats start wearing to where I need to fix them, I'm definitely going to do it. Sparkling Graphite on Cinnamon would be to die for. How about you? Interested in trying it out?
I'm in the same situation with my Fox Red interior. Rear seats look brand new, and are. Probably been used less than 10 times in the car's life. Passenger seat looks great. Driver's seat is showing some wear on the bolster, which was there when I bought the car. Most people wouldn't notice, but I'm fairly meticulous about the appearance of my car.

I actually ordered the Leather Master Plus kit from Detailers Domain as well as some Swissvax leather dye a few days ago. I'm going to give it a go this weekend and see what I can do with it. I plan to keep this car for a long time as a toy, so if worst came to worst I think I'd just buy a new driver's seat since it's the only seat that sees any significant time.

I don't know if I'd be interested in dying the whole interior. I imagine it's a fairly tedious job. However, if I did, Cinammon would be my first choice. It's an awesome combo. Who knows....I'm running out of mods to make at this point (other than a s/c), maybe I'll get bored and try it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
BTW, what makes you think this would turn into a Tuner war?
Because every internet forum is plagued by douche-nozzles who will try to get into an epeen measuring contest over anything and everything?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Because every internet forum is plagued by douche-nozzles who will try to get into an epeen measuring contest over anything and everything?
Check out my sig!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Yes, I saw that thread, and to be completely honest, you may want to curb your enthusiasm a bit. I'm glad you're happy with your tune (and your review among many others prompted me to go with BPM as well), but you're in danger of becoming a full-blown fanboy. Mike Benvo doesn't need you fighting his battles (or starting new ones for that matter), and with a legion of satisfied customers, he doesn't need to prove anything either. So yeah, turn it down a notch!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Yes, I saw that thread, and to be completely honest, you may want to curb your enthusiasm a bit. I'm glad you're happy with your tune (and your review among many others prompted me to go with BPM as well), but you're in danger of becoming a full-blown fanboy. Mike Benvo doesn't need you fighting his battles (or starting new ones for that matter), and with a legion of satisfied customers, he doesn't need to prove anything either. So yeah, turn it down a notch!
Turn it down a notch? You just kicked it up a notch. I am fully aware that Mike is capable of fighting his own battles and in no way have I started a new one. I am in noooo way to be considered a "fan boy", you can leave that to the ESS population in my opinion. I have my profile signature the way it is because of them locking my thread which wasn't even finished. I honestly think that it was locked because it wasn't in ones favor........just a thought. I am trying to help promote an outstanding tune that is being attacked by the ESS population, its obvious if you would read the threads on here but you don't you just read a sentence here and there then decide to make a comment. You said your piece on here and I have stated back, anymore should be done by PM as to not thread jack much further.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #42
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

I can not wait until the day I get to do this mod. Thanks so much for the write up, W. The difference in the feel and performance of the car really comes through.

I've been itching to do the OEM exhaust mod for months, but now I'm glad I've waited. I want to know what the TPs sound like with the stock exhaust before I decide to make any other changes to the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #43
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
For those who haven't seen, we are running a GB on our tune + test pipes!!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882072
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #44
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Any sound clips of the pipes and ACM exhaust mod?
Appreciate 0