BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #45
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
I hope this helped those who are considering making the move. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions, as I would be glad to help.

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing great write up I'll get a Melbourne red when BMW complete my buy back in next few days.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #46
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I know you wanted a vert but sadly all of your "cons" would be fixed by getting a coupe/sedan non-vert. Save 400 pounds and would be lighter than your e46 vert and all of the issues would be turned into more positives for the e9x m3

Big price to pay for a vert if you ask me but when you want one you want one and I get that
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #47
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
I know you wanted a vert but sadly all of your "cons" would be fixed by getting a coupe/sedan non-vert. Save 400 pounds and would be lighter than your e46 vert and all of the issues would be turned into more positives for the e9x m3

Big price to pay for a vert if you ask me but when you want one you want one and I get that

You're absolutely right. BUT I am comparing my current E93 M3 to my previous E46 M3 Convertible, which was 300-400 lbs lighter due to the soft top! What's really crazy is that the current coupe = the weight of the old convertible!! Clearly BMW needs to employ more weight-saving techniques/metals for the M4 and I'm hoping that more aluminum and/or carbon fiber end up in the M4 to bring the weight down (it will be very disappointing if the weight is the same).

As for the convertible, let me say that if you live in LA, where it's sunny every day, once you go with a convertible you can never go back! It's just like when someone uses Tivo - same problem!

And honestly the fact that I need to have a convertible with rear seat is what limits me to M3, S5, M6, 911 (S5 isn't performing enough and 911/M6 is too incrementally expensive compared to the M3 for me to justify the premium). If I was ok with a coupe then I would have considered a lot of other cars, so needing a convertible with 2 rear seats makes my consideration set very limited given my performance needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #48
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreMarti View Post
I think your review a bit premature
Couldn't agree more. I have a E92. The S65 really comes to life after 5500 rpms. The first time I got into this motor after the 1200 mile break in I was in love.

That is where you find the torque and HP. Give it time untill the break in. If you think the E93 is faster than the E46 below 5500 you are going to be pleasantly suprised after 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
E93S65
BMWCCA #142023
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Convertible

My E93 Performance is not impressive.....?

Sorry to resurrecting this thread , but I am very dissappointed in my MY'13 E93 M3 performance. I can't even break the rear wheels loose in S5, +sport, and traction control off. The DCT in 2nd Gear also has way too much hesitation......yea, I read the post on this issue and yes I have the latest firmware......

I came from an E46 M3 Convertible, SMG that could smoke rubber all day long.

I've had the engine over 5500 RPM and honestly in the M3, it's hard to tell a "huge" difference over my X5's 4.4l.

- I can't stand how long it takes for the DCT to engage from a dead stop (regardless of setting) - it definitely feels like there is too much slipping when engaging 1st. . . and wouldn't you know that the dealer says this is "normal" - .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #50
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93S65 View Post
Sorry to resurrecting this thread , but I am very dissappointed in my MY'13 E93 M3 performance. I can't even break the rear wheels loose in S5, +sport, and traction control off. The DCT in 2nd Gear also has way too much hesitation......yea, I read the post on this issue and yes I have the latest firmware......

I came from an E46 M3 Convertible, SMG that could smoke rubber all day long.

I've had the engine over 5500 RPM and honestly in the M3, it's hard to tell a "huge" difference over my X5's 4.4l.

- I can't stand how long it takes for the DCT to engage from a dead stop (regardless of setting) - it definitely feels like there is too much slipping when engaging 1st. . . and wouldn't you know that the dealer says this is "normal" - .

Glad to see that I'm not the only E46 Convertible owner who feels this way, as I agree with literally every point that you made (I'm the OP of this thread). I have some suggestions for you:

1) I can't comment on breaking the rear wheels loose but I can tell you that it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, at least not with the Continentals that I got (which is the problem!).
2) DCT 2nd - 100% agree. Horrible lag at very low RPMs (ie. when coasting through a stop sign). Solution - downshift to 1st. Unlike SMG, the car will shift without any hesitation and clunkiness and you'll be in the right gear. There's too little torque in 2nd at the low end so the car needs to be in 1st. It's annoying but you get used to it...
3) DCT engaging in 1st - I completely agree. 2 Solutions: Be sure you're not sitting too close to the gas pedal. I find that if I'm giving too much gas in 1st then it takes much longer to engage - I'm talking about anything over 1,100 RPMs. The other solution, which I am now used to, is to push gas in and then let off slightly to the let the clutch engage and then push down again. If you time it right then there will be 0 lag. It's a pain in the ass compared to SMG, which worked fantastically getting into 1st, but it's just what you need to do with DCT. Once you get used to it it's not that bad but it take a little while to perfect it.
4) Drives like your X5. I think what you probably mean is the car is just too smooth and not involving enough, which was my MAJOR complaint. Solution: Get an exhaust mod (I got the OEM Exhaust Mod - Non Perforated). My car literally went from boring and disappointing to a LOT of fun, engaging, and frankly a little too loud at times! Trust me - this can make all of the difference. It's the first time I have ever modified a car and the difference is almost unbelievable. If you're in Los Angeles I would be glad to give you a ride so you can hear the difference - PM me.
5) Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any of this phone, as I'm glad to help and I know where you're coming from.

Hope all of this helps. I absolutely agree with all of your complaints but thankfully there are solutions to all of them!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #51
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Again not sure why people choose a 4100 pound convertible than complain about not breaking the tires loose! Even in my coupe, with fresh rubber PSS and full bolt on's, its not "easy" to break loose when the weather is warm and tires ar warmed up. As tread goes away and temps drop, it is really easy and chirp easily in 2nd.

Part of the reason if you are simply looking to shred tires from a stop is the minimal low end torque means there is not a lot of power to the ground in the first 5k RPMS so you dont light them up instantly. Do launch control and you will see the ability to spin as its realed in by the nannies!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #52
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Again not sure why people choose a 4100 pound convertible than complain about not breaking the tires loose! Even in my coupe, with fresh rubber PSS and full bolt on's, its not "easy" to break loose when the weather is warm and tires ar warmed up. As tread goes away and temps drop, it is really easy and chirp easily in 2nd.

I'm the OP and I think you're missing the point. We're complaining because we've owned the last gen M3 Convertible (I actually owned 3 over 10 years) - the exact same model - and clearly this model has a lot of flaws compared to the previous generation. When you come from the previous model and this one just isn't as good then you're obviously going to be disappointed.

I think you have to understand that we're realistic (at least I am realistic) about the limitations of a 4100 pound convertible. But our expectations for this model were set by the old one and this one just isn't nearly as good in many ways, which is very disappointing.

Here's to hoping that the weight reduction measures they are taking with the M4 will translate well into the M4 Convertible!
Appreciate 0