BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #45
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Boy 2 pages and so few constructive comments. I'd urge you to drive them both. Someone did comment correctly that the driving position is different in both. The sedan is slightly more upright and I think the car is ever so slightly taller. As someone pointed out the doors of a sedan are shorter and so the driver window is considerably smaller. I've never owned a sedan and didn't like the more upright position. The coupe felt more comfortable to me and the aerodynamics allow you to drive with the window down and not get buffeted by the wind. Really personal preference though. While there isn't much performance difference, the driving positions are quite different. Don't buy one or the other until you drive one. I test drove more than one of each.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #46
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Guys- there is no blind spot because you should NOT look to the side before change of lane. Side view mirrors should be splayed out so there is no blind spot. You do not need to see your door handles or the air space anywhere near it in your side view mirrors as anything that is anywhere near the size of a car will be quite visible to the outside edge of the space not covered by the mirrors when in the recommended position. Of course anything to the inside of the uncovered area would be inside of your car!

This was in Car and Driver about a year ago- it DID feel weird at first and I had to reassure myself of the logic and now I never have to turn my head. You can test this by turning the mirror out when you are parked until the point that a passing car disappears from the side view mirror at the same instant it appears in your front side window-when there is no temporal gap there is no blind spot.
There certainly is a blind spot when you pull up to a stop sign at an intersection, look to the left (90º down the road you're turning on to) and see a B-pillar instead of the car that is coming. I had to lean forward some distance to see around the damn thing. That is one of the main reasons I got an E92 M3.

Your're right about the mirrors though. That is the way mine are adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #47
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
sedan has a stiffer chassis (thanks B piller), looks better, and is more functional.

I love taking 3 passengers around the track
The coupe has a B-pillar too. It's just a little further back and the rear side window is smaller.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #48
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

I have wife + two kids, started out with a V70 volvo wagon, to a 545i to 335d 4 door, now in a AW 6 speed M3 coupe....drop the kids at school most days, haul windsurf gear and bikes on the roofracks...and ring the living daylights out of it at the track.

Wouldn't have anything else.

My 5c :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #49
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Sedan has better braking. ...When all four doors are open!

Maverick: I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.

Both are great!
LMFAO!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #50
sonnyb
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Sakhir orange

Less is more, thus two doors are better than four!
PLUS has everyone forgotten there is no c/f roof on the sedan???
You just have to love washing that exposed weave and run your hand over that super smooth roof.....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #51
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

does your gf say less is more? would you like less or more in your bank account? doesnt really work.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 09-20-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #52
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

There are minor benefits of the sedan in my opinion. Shorter doors=a easier entrance. Might be more rigid, but I didn't feel it. I wasn't bothered by the B-pillar some of the other members are talking about, must be driving position. Abscence of the horrendously made seatbelt extender, but as long as your not short and/or have a bad back reaching back isn't a big deal. Overall I'd say go with what you think looks better if you don't have kids or friends who always want a ride in the M. I personally think the sedan looks amazing from the backshots but I prefer the coupe for the side and front.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #53
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Let's talk facts guys:

1) The coupe is longer, which means it gets to the finish line first. Think of a racing horse with a long neck. That's the coupe.

2) Sedan has 4 doors. More doors means more hinges. More hinges = more weight.

3) The word coupe sounds a lot less crappy than the word sedan. Thus coupe>sedan

4) Sedan is for married people with families. and everyone knows single people are happier than married people. so sedan = less happiness.

5) even BMW recognized that the sedan is inferior to the coupe. that's why they're ending its production so much earlier than the coupe.

6) If the sedan was all that great, they would have based the convertible m3 off of the 4 door and not the coupe. They didn't though. That tells the whole story right there.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 09-20-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #54
M3_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
5) even BMW recognized that the sedan is inferior to the coupe. that's why their ending its production so much earlier than the coupe.
There is so much fail in that post but this is the best.

Do you know that the new M3 will be first released as a sedan, and actually be called an M3. The coupe is more than likely going to be called a M4.

The reason they stopped production earlier on the sedan is to tool up for production of the F3x M3 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #55
63NP
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F81 M3 🔥🔥

Quote:
Let's talk facts guys:

1) The coupe is longer, which means it gets to the finish line first. Think of a racing horse with a long neck. That's the coupe.

3) The word coupe sounds a lot less crappy than the word sedan. Thus coupe>sedan

4) Sedan is for married people with families. and everyone knows single people are happier than married people. so sedan = less happiness.

5) even BMW recognized that the sedan is inferior to the coupe. that's why their ending its production so much earlier than the coupe.

6) If the sedan was all that great, they would have based the convertible m3 off of the 4 door and not the coupe. They didn't though. That tells the whole story right there.

F@=K ME.!!
Where do i stand then.....
      09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_FTW View Post

Do you know that the new M3 will be first released as a sedan, and actually be called an M3. The coupe is more than likely going to be called a M4.

The reason they stopped production earlier on the sedan is to tool up for production of the F3x M3 sedan.
Psst... he was joking.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #57
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:

^ this guy.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #58
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm driving a loaner e92 M3 right now and like most people said, there's hardly a difference.

The carbon fiber roof looks great but I felt a bit claustrophobic today...it was gorgeous out today too. Rear seats are surprisingly spacious too.

PS What's the deal with that little robotic arm that hands you the seatbelt? I hate that thing...if I had a coupe I would definitely just get a racing seat with a dedicated harness.

PPS 4 doors makes it easier for the ladies to get in.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #59
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Let's talk facts guys:

5) even BMW recognized that the sedan is inferior to the coupe. that's why they're ending its production so much earlier than the coupe.

Quote:

lol @ you taking him seriously

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #60
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I've driven many of both. I prefer the sedan over the coupe. I originally had a white/red extended DCT on order and then drove the jerez black/black extended 6MT I have now, fell in love, cancelled the order on the coupe and drove the car home within a couple hours.

I can't believe I've had her for almost 4 years now! Still looks showroom new!

The sedan feels more tight to me. Not a huge difference. I also like the seating position better. The convertible feels like a slow pig. Not much to say there, that's expected given the weight. It is annoying with the window down if you don't crack the back window open on the sedan, something I can live with.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #61
M3_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
^ this guy.
Sorry gents. Didnt get it all this morning
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #62
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

yes, the coupe looks better
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #63
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Sedan has better braking. ...When all four doors are open!

Maverick: I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.

Both are great!
LMFAOOOO that was a good one lol..

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMurphy View Post
I'm always looking to upgrade to the M3. I love the way both the sedan and coupe look but I was wondering if there is a noticeable drivability difference between the two. Obviously weight and center of gravity change between the two but is it drastic or subtle?
When you compare the two the measurements and weight are so close the driving dynamics have to be very similar.

Other then that the sedan looks better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #65
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Guys- there is no blind spot because you should NOT look to the side before change of lane. Side view mirrors should be splayed out so there is no blind spot. You do not need to see your door handles or the air space anywhere near it in your side view mirrors as anything that is anywhere near the size of a car will be quite visible to the outside edge of the space not covered by the mirrors when in the recommended position. Of course anything to the inside of the uncovered area would be inside of your car!

This was in Car and Driver about a year ago- it DID feel weird at first and I had to reassure myself of the logic and now I never have to turn my head. You can test this by turning the mirror out when you are parked until the point that a passing car disappears from the side view mirror at the same instant it appears in your front side window-when there is no temporal gap there is no blind spot.
That is all fine and dandy until you miss the fact that the car two lanes over has his blinker on and is changing lanes the same time you are. Experienced drivers in the real world look over their shoulder. At least ones with perfect driving records do so.

Regarding the Sedan and the B pillar creating a huge blind spot...how far do you guys recline when you drive? I guess I don't put my seat in a position to try and look cool while I drive. I position my seat for best performance, safety and visibility when I drive. My seat is likely far more upright than a lot of you folks (I didn't even recline like that when I was a youngster) as I don't have any issue with the B pillar.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #66
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Yes, one's for boys, the other is for girls! Kidding!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0